Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 04 2012
By: BBurgSteve MVP Support 8548 posts

Remote Play: Everything you need to know to get started.

11 replies 526 views Edited Mar 4, 2012

This is an older post (it refers to PSP Remote Play), but it's still good information.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3650&page=1

Message 1 of 12 (526 Views)
MVP Support
8548 posts

Re: Remote Play: Everything you need to know to get started.

Mar 4, 2012

I have now successfully connected from 7 different locations over 5 consecutive days using the instructions above.

To get around my Router-behind-router setup, I simply set my Uverse 2wire Gateway to provide a DMZ+ connection to the Netgear router, which allows me to access the Netgear Router as if it is the main router on my local network.  I then incorporated the rest of the above instructions, completely ignoring the 2wire, to successfully make the Remote Play connection over internet.

I still maintain that Remote Play over Internet will not be an efficient way to play PS3 titles on the Vita while on the go, but at least you can stream music and videos from the PS3 to your remote location.  I'll be testing the 3G Hotspot tether probably sometime next week when I upgrade my iPhone data plan.  I suspect a 3G Remote Play connection will be slightly laggier than a wifi connection, but should still be suitable for music at the very least.

Message 2 of 12 (526 Views)
MVP Support
8548 posts

Mar 4, 2012

Remote Play over Internet Step-by-Step

-Netgear N-band Router running behind a Uverse-provided A/B/G-band 2wire RG.

Home Network Equipment:

Residential Gateway (AT&T Uverse): 2wire 3800HGV-B  (fw 6.3.7.50)

802.11n Router: Netgear WNR2000v3 (fw 1.1.1.58)

1.  Make sure the Gateway and Router are running the latest version of the appropriate firmware.  This is done automatically on AT&T Uverse Gateways; Netgear routers have an option to auto update, as well.

2.  Set up your Routers for Remote Play:

A.  On the Uverse Gateway, set up the internal router (Netgear) on a DMZ-plus connection by accessing the 2wire's control panel (192.168.1.254 on any browser connected to the network).  Click on the Settings tab at the top of the screen, then on Firewall, and finally on the 'Applications, Pinholes and DMZ.  Click 'Choose WNR2000v3' under the Select a Computer section and then choose the last option on the list, "Allow All Applications (DMZplus Mode)".  Click Save, and enter your gateway's password if prompted.

B.  On the Netgear, set up the router's DHCP server to assign IPs to a specific range by accessing the Netgear's control panel (10.0.0.1 on any browser connected to the network).  Click on the ADVANCED tab at the top of the screen, then on the Setup and then the LAN Setup buttons on the left side of the screen.  Check the 'Use Router as DHCP Server' option and set the Starting IP Address at (10.0.0.) 2 and the Ending IP Address at (10.0.0.) 15.  You can set these numbers for narrower or broader ranges depending on the number of connections (both wired and wireless) that you typically need.

Click on the Advanced Setup on the left side of the screen, then on Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.  Click on the "+ Add Service" button.  Enter "PS3RP" as a Service Name, select TCP/UDP from the Protocol Droplist, enter 9293 for both Starting and Ending Ports, check the 'Use the same port range for Internal Port' option, and enter 10.0.0.101 for the Internal IP address.  Then Click Apply and wait for your router to restart (will take about 30 seconds or so).

3.  Set up your PS3 for Remote Play over Internet

Access Network Settings on your XMB (Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings).  Hit X to continue past the screen that pops up.  On the next screens select Custom, Wired Connection, Manual Settings, Auto-Detect, and Manual.  On the IP Settings screen, you'll make the following selections:

IP Address: 10.0.0.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Router: 10.0.0.1

Primary DNS: 10.0.0.1

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Next screens: (MTU) Automatic, (Proxy) Do Not Use, (UPnP) Enable

Press X to save settings, and then X again to Test Settings.

4. Set up your PS Vita for Remote Play

A.  Connect the PS Vita to the PS3 via the USB cable, access the Remote Play settings on the XMB, Select Register Device and follow the on screen instructions to register your Vita with the PS3.

B.  Access the Remote Start option, also under Remote Play settings, set to ON, then check the "Enable Remote Start via the Internet" option, down to highlight OK and press X.

You should now be good to go with Remote Play over an Internet Connection.

For other Routers and Network setups, visit http://www.portforward.com and find your specific router model from the extensive list there.

Message 3 of 12 (526 Views)
MVP Support
8548 posts

Mar 21, 2012

I don't typically like to bump my own posts, but this has now been working consistently for me for 3 weeks now.  With no 'incidental' PS3 startups.

Message 4 of 12 (526 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8548 posts

Apr 5, 2012

Remote Play via 3G Personal Hotspot (iPhone 4S) update:  Surprisingly, it works as well as connecting via any other wifi connection, at least over ATT's HSPA+ network.  That is to say, it's a bit laggy for any kind of gameplay, but at least it shows that remote play can successfully connect via 3G.

Message 5 of 12 (526 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
690 posts

Apr 6, 2012

I have done everything, as far as i know, and my ps3 still turns on automatically after turning ON connect to remote play via internet in the remote play settings.... i did notice that after I changed everything in my router, it was actually off a few minutes longer before my ps3 automatically turned on again, where, prior to the setting changes it was almost instantaneously when I would turn the Remote Play via Internet feature on... my router is D-Link 601... it has UPnP turned on... port forwarding on with the correct IP, TCP/UDP implemented... i dont get it.... maybe i am missing a step? I went to the website you posted www.portfoward.com and to get info on my router it is asking me to pay a fee.  I'm not going to do that.  any other information you could think of would be greatly appreciated....

Message 6 of 12 (526 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8548 posts

Apr 6, 2012

Looks like portforward has changed up since I last went there (it used to be just a bunch of written instructions for specific routers).  I'll have to edit that out next time I'm on a browser where I can do so.  Thanks for pointing that out.

It could be that my Router behind router setup is preventing that from happening to my PS3, but since I have my Netgear on a DMZ in the ATT gateway, it should be receiving everything that hits it.  I did have the problem of the PS3 coming on randomly until I set it to an IP outside of the DHCP range.  Since then, I have had no random power ups that I know about.  I'm going to have to go over every setting to see if there's something I missed.

One thing I'm wondering is if UPnP may be to blame.  You could try turning it off on your router.  The forwarded ports *should* still allow RP to work, even without UPnP.  My ATT Gateway does not support UPnP, I wonder if it is therefore blocking UPnP requests.

Message 7 of 12 (526 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
690 posts

Apr 6, 2012

awesome. i will try turning it off UPnP tonight when i get home... it's been a mission, i tell ya! lol

Message 8 of 12 (526 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8548 posts

Apr 6, 2012

Yep.  Been there and done that.  The only piece I was missing was manually setting up the PS3 outside the DHCP range.  Didn't realize you could do that until I went to the page I linked in the original post of this thread.

Message 9 of 12 (526 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 12, 2013

This is a great guide, and I followed everything, but still cannot connect via internet.  Fortunately, there have never been any random start ups though.  I am trying to connect from another U-Verse router at work, so maybe U-Verse to U-Verse just doesn't work.

The work connection has UPNP on and so does the Netgear router that is behind the U-Verse router at home.  Do you know if the outside networks where you successfully connected had UPNP on or did they need any port forwarding?  Or is it only the home PS3 network that needs to be setup properly.

**bleep**, this U-Verse router is making it tough.

Message 10 of 12 (452 Views)
0 Likes