Splicer
55 posts

Re: Remote Play: Everything you need to know to get started.

Feb 15, 2013

BBurgSteve,  that's awesome!  How much does AT&T charge you to tether you Iphone 4S?  Was considering tethering an Iphone 5 over 4G since I was grandfathered into their unlimited data plan!   Right now as soon as I receive my PS Vita 3G in the mail I plan on unlocking it and ordering the 9gb data plan from Eternal Comms for $20.  If it's cheaper to tether,  I'll go that route!  

How is the remote play while streaming videos since that's what I'd be using it for mainly?  Mostly I'll be watching videos that's why I need such a high data plan!

"This place may be a virtual world but my feelings are very real." - Lightning Flash Asuna, Sword Art Online

SAO3.jpg

Message 11 of 12 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
10911 posts

Re: Remote Play: Everything you need to know to get started.

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2013

CharityElizabeth wrote:

BBurgSteve,  that's awesome!  How much does AT&T charge you to tether you Iphone 4S?  Was considering tethering an Iphone 5 over 4G since I was grandfathered into their unlimited data plan!   Right now as soon as I receive my PS Vita 3G in the mail I plan on unlocking it and ordering the 9gb data plan from Eternal Comms for $20.  If it's cheaper to tether,  I'll go that route!  

How is the remote play while streaming videos since that's what I'd be using it for mainly?  Mostly I'll be watching videos that's why I need such a high data plan!

Unfortunately, you lose your unlimited plan when you switch to the tethering plan.  It replaces your $30/mo unlimited plan with the $50/mo 5GB plan (so it's $20 more a month).  AT&T's mobile tether is also locked into a NAT 3 connection, which will not allow for online multiplayer.  Video streaming should work fairly well, though.

As for unlocking the Vita, I don't think it's possible to unlock a US-based Vita.  I believe the only way to acquire an unlocked Vita is to import one from Hong Kong, and even then, it's not guaranteed to work with any particular service.  I've read that the best they can do, if they work, is 2G speeds.

Message 12 of 12 (91 Views)
0 Likes