Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 17 2013
By: TerraAquaVen_09 First Son 4 posts

Replacing a PS3 (fat) processor.

7 replies 150 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

Hey I have an orignal 60 Gb PS3 model that was a Japanese import. My issue was that when I had it,  I fried the CPU by poorly grounding the cable (I used the Japanese power cable rather than replacing the cable with the American ver.) . Now I still have that PS3 AND I did so happen to obtain a processor (that is of the right match). Now I was wondering if there's someone or some service that is willing todo this procedure despite the risks that may arise from doing this (it's bricked anyways so what do I have to lose?). Since this is an import I have basically forfitted the help of Sony to do this, and when I attempted Sony Japan, they said the only way they'd do it is if there was someone that I knew living in Japn and could ship it and recieve it back from them. I know that was long winded but any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
944 posts

Re: Replacing a PS3 (fat) processor.

Jun 17, 2013

TerraAquaVen_09 wrote:

Hey I have an orignal 60 Gb PS3 model that was a Japanese import. My issue was that when I had it,  I fried the CPU by poorly grounding the cable (I used the Japanese power cable rather than replacing the cable with the American ver.) . Now I still have that PS3 AND I did so happen to obtain a processor (that is of the right match). Now I was wondering if there's someone or some service that is willing todo this procedure despite the risks that may arise from doing this (it's bricked anyways so what do I have to lose?). Since this is an import I have basically forfitted the help of Sony to do this, and when I attempted Sony Japan, they said the only way they'd do it is if there was someone that I knew living in Japn and could ship it and recieve it back from them. I know that was long winded but any help would be appreciated. 

I have no idea, but why did you get an imported Japanese version of a PS3?

Message 2 of 8 (145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 17, 2013

I had a good bit of PS2 games from Japan that I thought would be cool to play in pseudo HD. Besides, now you can't even find them anymore (I've looked); so the idea of having a rare peice of hardware that has upsurged in popularity because of it's successor is pretty neat in retrospect.

Message 3 of 8 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

I have a little experience with fried processors in PCs, and I can tell you that very often it's not just the CPU that's cooked.  A PC motherboard has POST codes to tell you if the board is good, but I don't know if the PS3 you have has a corresponding system.  Moreover, a successful POST routine doesn't guarantee that the socket isn't fried, as well.  

If I were you, truthfully, I'd hire out for this one.  

PSN: sleepyeyes2k2
Reformed Xbox Gamer

21lob2s.png
Message 4 of 8 (123 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 17, 2013
The thing is I have some people look at it and said that it was the processor as the culprit and their supplier did not have the CPU in stock. Unfortunately they have not been in business recently. GopherMods were the last people that said that they would be happy to do it, but their reball service was down and they would not attempt to do it without a working reball system. They have told me that that service would have returned by the beginning of this year and to check their site periodically but they have not reinstated that service yet.
Message 5 of 8 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7616 posts

Jun 17, 2013
Did you check the Power Supply? Replacing individual BGA chips is a difficult longshot.

What did you do to determine that the CPU is defective?
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 6 of 8 (105 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 17, 2013
I wasn't the one that determined that the CPU was defective. I forget who was the first people I sent it to, but they gave me that answer (it was a while back, about the time when the PS3 first had came out). A year ago I sent it to Gophermods and they gave me the same diagnosis. I would send it to them but like I said earlier they won't do it unless they have a working reball service, and to wait once they list it again on their website (which they haven't).
Message 7 of 8 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7616 posts

Jun 17, 2013

TerraAquaVen_09 wrote:
I wasn't the one that determined that the CPU was defective. I forget who was the first people I sent it to, but they gave me that answer (it was a while back, about the time when the PS3 first had came out). A year ago I sent it to Gophermods and they gave me the same diagnosis. I would send it to them but like I said earlier they won't do it unless they have a working reball service, and to wait once they list it again on their website (which they haven't).

In that case, I would suggest sending it in to some service that would attempt to do the CPU switch.

No one has ever attempted to do a CPU transplant and there are plenty of things that can go wrong or it would just not be possible because the PS3 has hardware checks. I'd imagine it would be the same case as the XB360, where the CPU has hard-coded serial numbers and it just will fail to start if the numbers don't match up with other important parts on the circuit board.

There's also the possibility that damage to the CPU could mean that other components of the board (NAND, GPU, Northbridge, RAM, etc.) were also taken out as well.

Hope you get successful in repairing this one either way. The amount of B/C PS3s are dwindling.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 8 of 8 (68 Views)
0 Likes