Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 14 2012
By: bren92 Wastelander 922 posts

Restore File System Help!

5 replies 119 views Edited Jul 14, 2012

My friend just signed up for PS Plus and downloaded Infamous 2. When he went to install it he kept getting an error. As we kept retrying the XMB froze then started running really slow. I read on the forums that booting to safe mode and running option 3, restore file system fixes a freezy and laggy XBM as well as the game install problem. I recommended he try it and it is taking a really long time. It went to 11% right away and just sat there. We walked away for four hours and it finally reached 22%. After about another 10 minutes it reached 23%. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Since it clearly said only option 4 and 5 format your hard drive we didn't bother to back anything up. He has a ton of data and I will feel so bad if I am responsible for him losing it. Any advice is much appreciated.

bren92 Trophy Card
Message 1 of 6 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Restore File System Help!

Jul 14, 2012
When you go to install Infamous 2, make sure nothing is downloading in the background. If there is, then pull the ethernet cable if you are using wired. If you are using wireless, then restart the PS3 and stop all remaining downloads before attempting to install Infamous 2 again.

Backup all the important data immediately. Most game saves can be backed up to a spare USB thumb drive with Saved Data Utility. Do not rely only on Backup Utility.

Afterwards, go into Safe Mode and use both the Restore File System and Rebuild Database commands. Ignore the warning about corrupted data.
Message 2 of 6 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Jul 14, 2012

Thanks for the reply but I can't even get to the XMB it just goes strait to a black screen that says restoring do not turn off the system. It is now at 32% and it has been running for almost 10 hours. I am too afraid to turn it off.

bren92 Trophy Card
Message 3 of 6 (108 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 14, 2012
You really need to have backups made.

Restart your PS3 and immediately go into Safe Mode. Use Restore File System there. If it finishes, quickly back up your data immediately. Start with your game save backups to a spare USB thumb drive first.
Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Jul 14, 2012

potatobreath wrote:
You really need to have backups made.

Restart your PS3 and immediately go into Safe Mode. Use Restore File System there. If it finishes, quickly back up your data immediately. Start with your game save backups to a spare USB thumb drive first.

I did that and that's what has been running for 10 hours. If it successfully finishes I will back up all game saves right away. Thanks for your help. Have you ever head of this kind of thing happening before?

bren92 Trophy Card
Message 5 of 6 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 14, 2012
Shut off your PS3 and wait ten minutes before trying Safe Mode again. 10 hours is too long and may not finish. This is a symptom of a failing hard drive.
Message 6 of 6 (101 Views)
0 Likes