Feb 17 2014
By: HorrorGod PlayStation MVP 4329 posts

[Review] Macabre Mondays - "Resident Evil 2" (PS1)

[ Edited ]
18 replies 3015 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

Game Title: Resident Evil 2

Genre: Survival Horror
Platform: PlayStation (PS1)
ESRB Rating: Mature (M)
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: January 21st, 1998
Overall Rating: 10/10
Review Author: HorrorGod

This week's spotlight is for one of my personal favorite sequels -- the 2-Disc survival horror classic -- "Resident Evil 2."

(also known as "BioHazard 2.")

ResidentEvil2cover.jpg

STORY/GAMEPLAY:

Set in the fictional remote town of "Racoon City," just miles from the first game's mansion setting, Resident Evil 2 picks up two months after the events of it's predeccesor. Just like RE1, you can choose one of two characters. Leon Kennedy or Claire Redfield. Both arrive into town for different reasons. For Leon, it's his first day on the job as a R.C.P.D. officer; for Claire, she is looking for her big brother Chris, one of the S.T.A.R.S members and main protagonists from the first game. Whomever you choose, both realize quickly that the town has gone to hell. After a brief encounter with each other, the two are seperated by a car accident involving an eighteen wheeler. The two agree to meet at the police station, and depending on who you choose to play as at the beginning, you then traverse the dangerous, zombie filled streets of Racoon City, on your way to R.C.P.D.

At first, the R.C.P.D building feels very much like the mansion from the first game. You spend most of your time solving puzzles, finding keys, and backtracking. Eventually you move on to other parts of town, once both characters agree they need to find a way to escape the city. Like the first game, you find better weapons to defend yourself (Shotgun, Crossbow, Automatic Weapons, etc.), items to heal yourself, ink ribbons to save your progress on typewriters, and documents that help fill in story. But, one nice new addition is the ability to upgrade certain weapons. As you progress you will find Weapon Parts, that when combined with the correct weapon, will result in a much faster / stronger version.

Graphiclly, RE2 is a slight upgrade from RE1. The 3rd person, fixed camera angle, gameplay remains, though the character models are more detailed than the previous game. Another thing you will notice are the CGI cutscenes -- gone are the beautifully cheesey FMV clips from the first installment.

RE2 has plenty of replayabilty. No matter who you play as first, your first playthrough is labeled "Scenerio A." After completing the game, you are able to save and play the game under "Scenerio B." This scenerio allows you to play as the opposite character you selected, on the opposite side of the crash from the beginning of the game. You will experience all what they went through when you were not with them in your initial playthrough. And certain things you may do with one character in "A," will effect things with a different character in your "B" playthrough.

Playing "Scenerio A" and "Scenerio B" for both characters results in 4 different playthroughs, making this game really feel like you get your money's worth. And to make it even better, RE2 includes 2 bonus unlockable mini scenerios. One, entitled "The 4th Survivor" has you playing as U.S.S. (Umbrella Security Service) member, HUNK, as he tries to escape the city with a sample of the "G-Virus." The second mini game, entitled "The Tofu Survivor" (WTH?!), is a parady of the first mini game. It plays entirely like the HUNK scenerio, but you play as a piece of Tofu. (Again, WTH?) Although it's a parody, it is also the most difficult of the two, as Tofu is only armed with a Knife and a few healing items.

CLOSING REMARKS:

"Resident Evil 2" was loved by critics and the PS1 version alone sold over 5 million copies. To this day it is the franchise's best selling game on any single platform. The game was a great example of what a sequel should be: Bigger setting, longer story, better sound, and more replay value -- all while still retaining the horror elements and creepy atmosphere that people fell in love with in RE1. In some aspects it was scarier than the first, because it took you outside the confined mansion of the first game and tossed you into a city filled with the infected. It had a decent mix of horror and action, though at times it did feel it relied a bit more on the action, which sadly, was a aspect the later sequels would rely on too heavily, until the franchise no longer resembled anything it used to be.

RE2 was the first and only installment in the franchise to use 2 Discs on a PlayStation console. Although later sequels still required 2 discs on other platforms, the PS2 was able to pack much more onto a DVD. The PS1's "DualShock" controller was released just a couple of months before RE2, so of course the game was too far into development for them to include the analog / vibration feature. And since this was before the time we could just have a quick patch via the internet, Capcom instead released a new version of RE2 in March of '99. This version was known as "Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition." Aside from supporting the new DS1 controller, it also included a new unlockable mini game called "Extreme Battle," as well as a new difficulty setting called "Rookie" -- which allowed the player to start from the beginning with an SMG and infinite ammo.

"Resident Evil 2" has held up well over the years. It's a game that every survival horror fan should have on their shelf. If you have not played it -- or want to just relive the experience -- you can pick this gem up digitally on the PSN store. Or, if you like to collect physical copies (like myself) you should have no issues finding a new or used copy online. Enjoy!

My Rating:
10/10

TRAILER:

Please Note: The views expressed in this message are the views of the review author, who is in no way affiliated with SCEA or PlayStation.com.

Previous: "Onimusha: Warlords" (PS2)
Next: "Evil Dead: Hail to the King" (PS1)

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 19 (3,015 Views)
Gaming Beast
2177 posts

Re: [Review] Macabre Mondays - "Resident Evil 2" (PS1)

Feb 17, 2014

i actually bought this and beat it on my Vita, this is the version where you play Leon right? i remember there is one of Claire and one of Leon.

anyway it just shows how different it is from today's REs. (RE6..)

Message 2 of 19 (3,007 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Classic title. Loved this game and bought it at PS store the moment it was available. "Claireeeee"

Message 3 of 19 (3,005 Views)
Sackboy
469 posts

Feb 17, 2014

A great game, though not even close to being one of my fav's in the series. I wish the b scenario was the standard difficulty  across the board. Either way thanks for bringing back a nostalgic experience.

Message 4 of 19 (3,004 Views)
Sackboy
469 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

i actually bought this and beat it on my Vita, this is the version where you play Leon right? i remember there is one of Claire and one of Leon.

It was still survival horror then

Message 5 of 19 (3,003 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9421 posts

Feb 17, 2014
Greatest game in the series. I have RE2 and still play it to this day. Great story, great characters, such an amazing game for it's time.
 photo 8E30DB57-F6ED-4A1B-947E-513276B477EE_zpse5jbdufp.jpg
Message 6 of 19 (3,000 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4329 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

When it was released, it was a 2 disc game. 1 disc was Leon, the other was Claire.

I've downloaded the digital version off PSN (when it was available for PS+), but I've yet to play it, so I don't know how the character selection works -- I would assume you still get to choose either character.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 7 of 19 (2,985 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4329 posts

Feb 17, 2014

nasrulez wrote:
Greatest game in the series. I have RE2 and still play it to this day. Great story, great characters, such an amazing game for it's time.

Agreed.

Occasionally my brother and I decide to get together and play the entire RE series. Sometimes we play the original RE on PS1, other times we decide to play the REmake on GameCube, instead. But one thing is for sure, RE2 is the sequel I usually look forward to the most.

Message 8 of 19 (2,981 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Feb 17, 2014
Macabre Mondays, huh? What a neat idea. It has no chance of competing with James and Mike Mondays, but it's still a cool idea. I played the psn download, and I believe I even wrote a review for it years ago. Character selection works the same way as the disc version, but to play as Claire, you'll have to reset the game, and start it up with disc 2.Smiley Wink Digital ps1 classics are just like their disc based counterparts except disc swapping is simulated through a menu. Some allow the player to disc swap at anytime, even though it isn't usually recommended outside of reaching the end of one disc. This particular psn download requires the player to reset the game completely, due to the way discs are used in this case.
Message 9 of 19 (2,978 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4329 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

tross88 wrote:
Macabre Mondays, huh? What a neat idea. It has no chance of competing with James and Mike Mondays, but it's still a cool idea. I played the psn download, and I believe I even wrote a review for it years ago. Character selection works the same way as the disc version, but to play as Claire, you'll have to reset the game, and start it up with disc 2.Smiley Wink Digital ps1 classics are just like their disc based counterparts except disc swapping is simulated through a menu. Some allow the player to disc swap at anytime, even though it isn't usually recommended outside of reaching the end of one disc. This particular psn download requires the player to reset the game completely, due to the way discs are used in this case.

Thank you, tross. I started doing the MM spotlights/reviews last spring, but then fizzled out.

I decided to continue doing it a few weeks ago Smiley Happy

And thank you for the disc swapping lesson. Hopefully @VorxDargo figured this out too. If not, now they can go back and play the game again as Claire. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 19 (2,971 Views)
0 Likes