Feb 28 2012
By: benjaman10 First Son 5 posts

SONY, ADD MORE PS3 APPS PLEASE!

26 replies 10191 views Edited Feb 28, 2012

I've been roaming around all the new looks of the PS3 firmware and i noticed there arent any new apps. I am an avid Netflix and Hulu Plus user so i'm happy they have dedicated apps. But, where are the rest? Youtube, Sports(ESPN, Fox, NBC, ETC.), Crackle, Music(Last FM, Pandora, ETC.), News Sources(CNN, MSNBC, ETC.), Social Media(Facebook, Twitter).

I understand there is an Internet Browser with Crackle, Youtube and others readily available for click. I'M talking DEDICATED APPS. Full apps bringing a Rich and Easy experience.

My girlfriends SONY blu-ray player has facebook and youtube at least, on top of hulu and netflix,Even Crackle! i don't see why my Amazing PS3 doesn't.

Sony, please work on adding more useful apps for all of us Playstation users.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (10,191 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2167 posts

Re: SONY, ADD MORE PS3 APPS PLEASE!

Mar 2, 2012

Sorry, no. We don't want any of that junk. It's a GAME console, focusing on the fluff means the games suffer. Honestly I'd be glad if they cut the movie, music, and picture categories since we can do that on PC. I have never and won't watch a movie on my PS3. I also don't want to be forced to download this trash.

I vote for fewer FW updates and many less non-gaming features.

Too many games, too little time.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4510 posts

Mar 2, 2012

I don't mind more options, but they should definitely be options.  I use Netflix, that's it.  I don't want all those other video apps on my XMB.  Ideally, we could customize the XMB more; I don't use other video apps, and Netflix doesn't need its own tab.  I also don't need to be reminded about the PS Store in every tab; I know where to find it and check it weekly.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2167 posts

Mar 2, 2012

Precisely. If it was optional then I could allow it for those who might make use of the fluff. But since I don't want it there's no excuse to force us all to DL it and waste drive space. Seriously, I've not used a thing other than PSN and the games.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 7, 2012

@DPsx7

"focusing on the fluff means the games suffer."

You think cutting out additional features will make games better? (I'm sure game devs aren't tied with PSN content.)  Example: apps

"Honestly I'd be glad if they cut the movie, music, and picture categories"

Why???    You think the extra content makes games worse?

"I also don't want to be forced to download this trash."

You think PSN might force you to download apps?  Orly?

"I vote for fewer FW updates and many less non-gaming features."

Fewer FW updates?  Yes!  Less non-gaming features?  No.  The PS3 only does everything.

If they added a YouTube and Crackle app that would be awesome!   Sure you can use the PS3 browser for YT & Crackle.  But the PS3 browser freezes too much & YouTube videos look awful. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Mar 7, 2012

DPsx7 wrote:

Precisely. If it was optional then I could allow it for those who might make use of the fluff. But since I don't want it there's no excuse to force us all to DL it and waste drive space. Seriously, I've not used a thing other than PSN and the games.

I think you're hatin' the wrong cause.  I'm also annoyed about having to download useless PS+ features in updates that I cant use.  "more apps and ps store content" & "useless updates" are different.  No one forces you to download videos, music, photos & apps.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4642 posts

Mar 12, 2012

I want an official PSN app for my phone with friends list, messaging and forums :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (10,191 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Mar 26, 2012

I'm new here, and just derpin' arond the boards, it has quickly become apparent that you, sir, are like an old, broken, cranky record.

Just putting that out there.

I wonder if Superman is jealous because his rollercoasters aren't as badass as Batman's?

I'll be your Jessie if you'll be my Walt.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Mar 26, 2012

YES. I would love an iOS/Android app for managing my friends, etc. I can already do this on my Vita though, so I guess that's a plus.

Sons and daughters of Helghan, your destiny beckons. Stand with your brothers and sisters. Stand with me, and together we will be undefeated!
Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jun 10, 2012

Lol "YES. I would love an iOS/Android app for managing my friends, etc. I can already do this on my Vita though, so I guess that's a plus."

You just answered your own question: do this on my Vita though

Sony will milk everything to it's last red cent. Sort of can't blame them with all their losses. Though you can also blame their own mismanagement for some of the losses. You will never get your Android apps, or Skype for PS3 for that matter.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (10,191 Views)
0 Likes