Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
13608 posts

Re: Say Goodbye To My Money Sony!!!

Jan 28, 2011

There is certainly a lot of misinformation and general panic going on around here.  Part of that is Sony's fault for not explaining the issue clearly.  It isn't that complicated.  Everyone is over-reacting. Nothing has happened that affects the security of PSN at all.  The only thing that was compromised is an encryption key that is built in to all PS3s that verifies that System updates were created by Sony.  Knowledge of the signing key would allow someone to create their own version of the PS3 System, and trick the PS3 into accepting it as published by Sony.  Having an unauthorized version of the System software is one thing, but you could only install it on your own PS3.  When you update your PS3 you are either...

1. Updating it directly from PSN
  2. Downloading the update in a file from playstation.com, and installing it on your PS3.

In either case, you are getting Sony's System update, and no one else's. In order for someone to hijack your system they would have to do more than create a correctly-signed System update, which the encryption key allows them to do.  They would also have to either...

1. Somehow install that System update on the Playstation Network update servers, or the Playstation.com update web page.  The encryption key is of no use whatsoever in doing that, and there have been no incidents of anyone successfully hacking Sony servers or web sites to install compromised code
  2. You would have to download the compromised System software from a site that is clearly not Sony's, and install it on your PS3 yourself; in which case you would be compromising your own PS3. 

As long as you don't do #2, you really have nothing to worry about.  There is no reason to think that anyone is going to be able to install a hacked System update file on Sony's servers.  It has never happened before, for the PS3 or the PSP. All this "hack" allows people to do is create and install unauthorized System versions on their own PS3s to add features that aren't in the authorized versions, or run pirated PS3 games.  Unless you are a software publisher, this isn't any immediate concern of yours.  You don't need to worry about your payment information being stolen, or your PSN account being hijacked, or anything else like that.  It is only slightly more likely to happen now, as long as you steer clear of unauthorized System updates.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 31 (25 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Jan 28, 2011

herp derp. This is the second thread you've made that I can't make head or tail from apart from you being mad at Sony and believing you deserve compensation for no valid reason.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 31 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2301 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Yur_EpitaphAisle wrote:    I will not be buying ONE MORE item from the PS Network.  I do not trust for one minute even my blilling info is safe anymore there...and Iv spent in the neighborhood of a grand there so far...no more til you fix this problem Lithium and youselves helped create by ignoring BLATANT suggestions that would help us have some security on our systems!!!    I cant even trust to update my games now without being OBVIOUSLY hijacked(a separate thread will discuss this).  Thanks for leaving us, your paycheck, in the wind SCEA.    BTW....Lithium, GREAT JOB AT NOTIFYING SONY ABOUT TOPICS DISCUSSING THIS FOR THREE YEARS NOW...NOT!!! So, I got a gun... ... and Ill hit you with it.  What ?  If you think is a problem i would say never use your PC again

Also OP you fail to understand what going on >_>

Users can now run unsigned code however OFW can't!!!!!

All your details are safe they are not local :/ server stored

Also this shows a major weakness in console gaming not just PS

Wants Timesplitters 4 :smileysad: *11-25-2010 Time Splitter rank :smileyvery-happy: *
Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 31 (25 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jan 29, 2011

o.o I never knew PSN was having problems.  Well if they are, I sure haven't noticed.  I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 31 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1609 posts

May 11, 2011

if you spent a grand  your a idiot anyways. or loser

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 31 (25 Views)
First Son
2 posts

May 14, 2011

Ever heard of prepaid PSN cards? its MUCH SAFER than blindly giving your credit card information.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 31 (25 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

May 14, 2011

Uhh... You guys realize it's possible to play video games on a PS3 without signing into PSN, right?

My status is fine, Admiral. But yours is about to go Red.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 31 (25 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2050 posts

May 14, 2011

SickJ wrote:

Uhh... You guys realize it's possible to play video games on a PS3 without signing into PSN, right?

They're going through the online DT's.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 31 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4223 posts

May 14, 2011

SickJ wrote:

yeah i have played just like that for 3 weeks, now i want my online service back, i didn't buy a console just to play offline...i'm not a multiplayer only gamer but i do play online a lot and it's been 3 weeks now...if sony is not able to provide the full gaming experience that i want, then i'll find it somewhere else

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 31 (25 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11604 posts

May 14, 2011

Here's my take to the outage:

1: Not even Sony's fault. So stop blaming them. Even high end security can be broken by hackers.

2: You seriously can't find entertainment for 3 weeks? You guys take way too much for granted. Hell, 10 years ago, online gaming wasn't even that big of a deal. And now because you lost your precious technology, you moan and complain.

3: There are plenty of offline games you can play. If multiplayer consumes your life, something's wrong.

4: Let's say you're like me and have a PS3 with only a few games (by few, I mean 10-15). Let's say you sell them off to gamestop, along with the PS3 itself. YEAH. Have fun getting like, $10 for your games and having to pay $50 for another one (the exact same one actually, just for the other console). And even the PS3 itself. Sure, you'll still get SOMETHING (and if it's gamestop, not a whole lot, maybe $120?), but it won't pay for the 360 itself (unless you go used, which is pretty stupid considering the failure rate, especially if it's refurbished or something). And on top of that, you need to pay $60 for the XBL fee, AND since only the new Xbox's come with built in Wi-Fi compatibility, if you need that, that's like another $80. That's like a $1000 loss. Unless you only had PS3 exclusive titles and therefore could only buy like, two games back. And lose your progress.

I actually don't know why I made that one my 4th reason, since that seems the most convincing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 31 (25 Views)