Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 21 2005
By: Black_Chamber Lombax Warrior 181 posts

Shadow Of The Colossus Ending Discussion

[ Edited ]
418 replies 22074 views Edited Feb 25, 2014

I saw the previous thread about this - but it wasn't the kind of thread that this one is. In this thread, I would like those that have beaten the game to discuss their feelings about it, what they think the ending means and what they thought of the game as a whole.

I really, really loved this game! In my opinion, it is equal to ICO in every aspect.

In regards to the ending - I feel that the reviewers are really misleading people when they say that the ending is "hard to understand" or "very vauge and doesn't tie up any story elements", or  even "lacking". I thought it was truly outstanding and explained everything nicely.

First off, we know that Wander stole the Ceremonial Sword from the Shaman of his village. Second, we know from the game's outset that the girl was killed as a sacrifice during a ritual because her soul was "not clean".

Then, we also know that Wander knows of this place from the legends they speak in his village - that it is a place of wonders and monsters. A place where if you can meet what is asked of you, you can get your deepest desire - or even return life to the dead.

Which, as you know from the end of the game is ironically what you do - only not to the girl. The Demon Colossus Dormin is the one you are reviving from the dead, not the girl. At the end, the village Shaman says a prayer over the girl and then orders his men to seal the temple doors and flee.

After the girl awakens and meets Agro she finds the horned baby and makes her way up to the Secret Garden. When she gets there, she finds food and perhaps a new start. Although she is trapped here in this land at the end of the world - the rebirth of Wander shows that there is hope. This could possibly be the beginning of the entire saga of ICO - a boy is born a long time ago with horns - and as a man, he finds his way out of a cursed land and starts anew. Maybe he cuts off the horns to blend in with society? Anyway, he then marries and has a child - and through the generations, one in every 40 or so children from his bloodline are born with horns. Could it be?

Anyway, the ending to Shadow Of The Colossus was 100% perfect and complete in my mind. Here's the rundown as to why:

1). It answered what the consequences were for killing all of the Colossi

2). It explained why Wander was on the quest at the beginning and how he got the sword at the end

3). It explained how and why the girl was killed at the beginning

4). The Demon Colossus Dormin was the voice you heard all through the game - taking his true shape through the actions and body of Wander

5). The 16 Colossi are literally walking graveyards. Each one carried a part of Dormin that was sealed within them to keep them safe from everyone - and so that nobody would ever be able to help them to combine again.

6). Lord Eno is the name of the Shaman

7). We find out at the end of the game that it was the Shaman narrating the opening of the game - telling us the legend of this cursed place.

8). The Shaman and his men set off to the cursed land after they discovered that the Ceremonial Sword was missing.

9). The Shaman knows that there is a chance that Wander may still be alive. At the end, he says "If you are still alive, I don't know how you will live in that barren land" or something to that effect. He could have also meant the girl.

10). The beams of light that come down from the sky point to each Colossus' corpse

11). We know that the baby was Wander. What we don't know is why he turned into one. I think that it has something to do with the purifying power of that water pool - and the fact that the Shaman threw the Sword in. Perhaps that changed the water into something pure, that would destroy Dormin for good. The side effect of it was that it gave Wander a second chance. The horns remained there as a symbol of evil and that's why in ICO any children born with them are considered "cursed" or "evil" and have to be ushered away from everyone.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Message Edited by Thantanos on 10-21-2005 05:55 AM

Edit: Added label. Please click here to learn more about labels. -Super_Nova2k13

"The only thing evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 419 (22,074 Views)
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Re: Shadow Of The Colossus Ending Discussion

Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah! I forgot to add my clear time: 8hrs 12min.

If I had figured out the last Colossus faster - it would have been around 7hrs 20min.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Oct 21, 2005
Has anyone else here beaten the game? If so, post your thoughts and opinions so we can all share the experience.,
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12979 posts

Oct 21, 2005
I'm sure someone will respond when they have the time.

Just a side note: You can edit your posts. On the right hand side of the posts click the word options and select Edit. Edit the post. Click Submit post when you're finished.,
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
783 posts

Oct 21, 2005
IT is clear that the horned baby was not ico because at the begining of,ico the horned baby's existed and were sacrificed to the queen, IT IS,POSSITIVE THAT IT WAS THE START OF THE STORY TO ICO LIKE A PRE PRE,PREQUEL TO ICO(FACT),WE DON'T KNOW STILL DOMINE EXIST THROGH THE GIRL.,I WOLUD LIE TO SEE FOR PS3 A SE SE SEQUEL TO ICO! WE DOMINE GETS,CONFRUNTED!
,BEST GAME OF 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
,9hr23min but I got tail and explored. I will play it over and get my time down to 6hrs! WITH ICO's SWORD!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3680 posts

Oct 21, 2005

Thantanos wrote:
Has anyone else here beaten the game? If so, post your thoughts and opinions so we can all share the experience.

Beat,the game and am now almost finished with the second run.  14,colossi defeated in less than 3 hours on the second time through
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts

Oct 22, 2005
I just got to the ending on my second time through, and I tried to hang onto to the stairs till my grip meter ran out, lol, anybody successful in altering the ending of the game?

Sony Ninja: We have been waiting for you, Miss O'Neil.
April O'Neill: What? Am I behind on my Sony payments again? Haha..
Sony Ninja: Your mouth may yet bring you much trouble, Miss O'Neil. But yes, you are.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3083 posts

Oct 22, 2005
Whats the kids name girl and horse??? Why did they go there in the,first place? Was it a prequel to ico? Was the boy actually bad? Was the,colossus bad?? And those spirits after you kill one, why do they just,stand there??  Can you change the ending?? The boy turned into a,baby with horns, which is the kid from ico??? I can go on with a list,of unanswerd questions!!!!!!!!  PLEASE HELP i'm soooo Confused!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Oct 22, 2005

I've never seen an ending that really makes you think as much as this one. I pretty much expected the wanderer to die (I don't know if you'd call that death though) as soon as that dormin told him how unnatural it was to resurrect someone. And after I realized how wrong it was to take down these colossi it was pretty obvious that he'd be forced to learn his lesson and in my opinion he deserved what he got. He stole the sword, he came onto the forbidden land and he tried to resurrect the dead. But wow, that was dark! One part that will stick with me forever is when I thought they killed off Agro, which was probably one of the saddest things I've ever seen, especially after I became so attached to him, even petting him with the circle button once or twice. Overall though, the ending felt kind of positive to me. All my brother talks about is how sad it was but I saw some hope at the end. I mean sure, the wanderer becomes possessed and is destroyed but he also accomplishes his goal and his beloved gets to live with Agro and that horned baby in the temple, together. It also really tied up all the mysteries of the story. That's why I think this is one the best (if not the best) videogame endings ever, past and present. 

Now I've gotta get ICO. The only connections I know is that the cursed baby is ICO  (or an ancestor of his) and that he fights those dormin ghosts. I'm really looking forward to finding out if he copes with having cursed horns. I'm also hoping ICO will be a little uplifting, especially after how dark SotC was.

Message Edited by Major Zero on 10-21-2005 10:48 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Oct 22, 2005
 I can't understand how any of the reviewers could say that the ending was lacking - in that it didn't tie up all the loose ends of the story. It most certainly did!

That is misleading to the average gamer, who will read that and think "then why play it?". Not the best way to go about marketing and hyping a game that they are personally recommending. Just a thought.

I don't think that the baby is ICO - quite the opposite. I think that it is the first in a long lineage of children that produce offspring that every so often have horns - which leads us to ICO's story. Again, just my thoughts on this. It does make some kind of sense, doesn't it?
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 419 (22,074 Views)
0 Likes