Feb 16 2014
By: LAXfrEEk880 I Only Post Everything 1159 posts

Should Sony consider an unused account purge?

[ Edited ]
51 replies 768 views Edited Feb 16, 2014

i feel like there are so many troll accounts and names out there that arent even used anymore that some people could potentially want. i know how hard from personal experience to want to make a name and then find out its taken, then you try to make a variation of it and thats taken as well, so you naturally result to kicking a mexican in the butt out of frustration. then when you go and search for that person who rudely took your ingenious name, just to be a major creep(such as myself) you find that they havent earned any trophies in over 6mounths-2 years. and you get even more frustrated and result to punching a baby.

i think it would be nice and considerate of sony to send messages to everyone saying that you have a month to log in. if you dont log in within that month this account will be terminated. then after that month they terminate all accounts that havent been logged in to. 

thus! less mexicans being kicked.... less babies being punched.... and a much happier me Smiley Happy

any thoughts??

Edit: Updated title for clarity/Updated label. 

For more information on labels please visit: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

My many MAG alts:
LAXfrEEk880, LAX-8-, laxbro-8-, L--A--X-_-V, G-R-i-M-Z-z-_-V and SchaeFeR__8[ps4 account so add me Smiley Happy]
Message 1 of 52 (768 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1388 posts

Re: An unused account purge is in order

Feb 16, 2014

LAXfrEEk880 wrote:

i feel like there are so many troll accounts and names out there that arent even used anymore that some people could potentially want. i know how hard from personal experience to want to make a name and then find out its taken, then you try to make a variation of it and thats taken as well, so you naturally result to kicking a mexican in the butt out of frustration. then when you go and search for that person who rudely took your ingenious name, just to be a major creep(such as myself) you find that they havent earned any trophies in over 6mounths-2 years. and you get even more frustrated and result to punching a baby.

i think it would be nice and considerate of sony to send messages to everyone saying that you have a month to log in. if you dont log in within that month this account will be terminated. then after that month they terminate all accounts that havent been logged in to. 

thus! less mexicans being kicked.... less babies being punched.... and a much happier me Smiley Happy

any thoughts??

Wut.

Also, yeah I think it's time Sony deactivated some unused accounts. Microsoft did it a while back, freeing up a bunch of XBL gamertags. Sony should probably also send out e-mails to these accounts, asking for consent to terminate it and free up the name.

Message 2 of 52 (760 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1159 posts

Feb 16, 2014

poodude wrote:

LAXfrEEk880 wrote:

any thoughts??

Wut.

Also, yeah I think it's time Sony deactivated some unused accounts. Microsoft did it a while back, freeing up a bunch of XBL gamertags. Sony should probably also send out e-mails to these accounts, asking for consent to terminate it and free up the name.

dont worry about it, unless your a mexican then worry.  

but exactly i myself have about 5 alts i dont mind loosing if someone else wanted to use them.

My many MAG alts:
LAXfrEEk880, LAX-8-, laxbro-8-, L--A--X-_-V, G-R-i-M-Z-z-_-V and SchaeFeR__8[ps4 account so add me Smiley Happy]
Message 3 of 52 (757 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1388 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Yeah, I have two alts myself. One of them is actually called poodude2 lol. Wouldn't mind losing them. 

Message 4 of 52 (752 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28980 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

The troll accounts are one thing, if someone is creating an account to troll, then they aren't going to be choosey with the name, but how do you do this that is fair? How is this fair to someone who is say in the Navy, and can't use his account for long stretches? Or someone who is maybe in another country on business for an extended period of time? Or someone who maybe had a console break, and wants to get another one somewhere down the road? The people who paid for their content have the right to keep it, and that trumps your right to take their user name.

And is it really that difficult to find an ID that's not in use? You do a search of the Users, and if it comes up empty, then that name is up for grabs.

Message 5 of 52 (741 Views)
MVP Support
9600 posts

Re: Should Sony consider an unused account purge?

Feb 16, 2014

If the account has been inactive for a period of 5 years, then go ahead and terminate it. I don't have a problem in freeing up unused and potential usernames.

Message 6 of 52 (730 Views)
Survivor
2394 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Going off of above posts, I think after 5 years, an e-mail link is sent to that user that they must click and sign in to within a week (or month) of it being sent to keep the name.  After all, someone could just not have any Sony products, but want a name used (I have an account close to this name on XBox just so no one else could have it, and have never owned an XBox).

Yes, I did create that game on the Vita you probably never heard of.
Message 7 of 52 (712 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Yeah, delete all account who doesnt log in for a limited amount of time, and have them lose all their PSN games they pruchase with their hard earn money, so they will be force to re buy them again. REALLY smart idea. (sarcasm). 

Just cause someone doesnt log in for a long time, doesnt mean they should lose all their stuff. If a name you want is take, pick a new one. That goes for all online gaming, emails, ect. Its been that way, it will stay that way. I wouldnt want to lose all my games just cause I dont sign in my account for a long time.

Message 8 of 52 (706 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13101 posts

Feb 16, 2014
The forum gods should purge the mobile browser signatures I'm really tired of looking at a few users sigs :g
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 9 of 52 (696 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1159 posts

Feb 16, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The troll accounts are one thing, if someone is creating an account to troll, then they aren't going to be choosey with the name, but how do you do this that is fair? How is this fair to someone who is say in the Navy, and can't use his account for long stretches? Or someone who is maybe in another country on business for an extended period of time? Or someone who maybe had a console break, and wants to get another one somewhere down the road? The people who paid for their content have the right to keep it, and that trumps your right to take their user name.

And is it really that difficult to find an ID that's not in use? You do a search of the Users, and if it comes up empty, then that name is up for grabs.

now your making me sound like a spoiled brat when you put it that way.  i had thought of that already seeing as i have had a couple of friends who, like you said, joined the military, went away and came back. now what i would suggest is that there be a way to somehow redeem it for people in this case, with some sort of security question or long number code. the only problem being that if they do redeem, there is the possibilty that someone else took there name, then they would be forced to make a new name, thus the table having turned then. 

this is not for me as much as it is for one of my friends who just got a ps4 and wanted to create a name. and through all the thinking might of him, me and our one other friend combined, we could not think of a name that hadnt been taken. and if we found a variation of that name that wasnt taken, it was really stupid looking and he didnt like it.  now i know beggers cant be choosers but in this case if your tardy for the party your out of luck and when you do search those certain peoples usernames, like i said, they are inactive and it is frustrating. 

My many MAG alts:
Message 10 of 52 (681 Views)
0 Likes