VP of Gaming
28672 posts

Re: An unused account purge is in order

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

My disagreeing with you does not imply that you're a "spoiled brat". That's actually a legitimate question; how do you do this in a way that it's fair? Some people may have families, and young children require an enormous amount of attention. Is it fair to punish those who have more pressing needs than playing video games? Why should they be punished because a child comes into their life and their priorities change? And if you and your friend could not think of a usable name between the two of you, then that's on you and him. Between the two of you and the COUNTLESS pop culture icons as well as from the worlds of music, literature, history, and other fields, certainly there must be something that reflects his personality that he can live with?

Message 11 of 52 (387 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1261 posts

Re: Should Sony consider an unused account purge?

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

People come back after 2 years, for instance I came back after 4 1/2. I have a nice Wallet amount and downloadable content. You think because I''m away my account should be terminated? No trophies could mean they played on their psp. I get the meaning of this but it's just to ridiculous.

Message 12 of 52 (383 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Definitely not. Maybe after 5 years as someone else stated, but not only do I use a completely different email now I lost access to the old one for awhile until recently. I stopped playing for 2-3 years but now I have come back again, and I know I'd be calling up Sony **bleep** as all hell if my account was gone. I've spent a lot of money on it, and don't plan on having it disappear into thin air.

Message 13 of 52 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1398 posts

Re: An unused account purge is in order

Feb 16, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The troll accounts are one thing, if someone is creating an account to troll, then they aren't going to be choosey with the name, but how do you do this that is fair? How is this fair to someone who is say in the Navy, and can't use his account for long stretches? Or someone who is maybe in another country on business for an extended period of time? Or someone who maybe had a console break, and wants to get another one somewhere down the road? The people who paid for their content have the right to keep it, and that trumps your right to take their user name.

And is it really that difficult to find an ID that's not in use? You do a search of the Users, and if it comes up empty, then that name is up for grabs.

Never thought this day would come. The Captain and I would agree on something. Agree 100%

Gaming died with the PS2
Gaming in 2016 is a casual scrub's dream
Thank you for ruining a once great hobby
Message 14 of 52 (367 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1159 posts

Feb 16, 2014

see now this is what im saying though, maybe certain people would want to use an account, like take my new account i just made for ps4 cause i was tired of using LAX... i made SchaeFeR__8 it took forever to get a name that worked and meant something to me. Schaefer8 and schaefer08 were taken, schaefer88 was taken schaefer_8 was taken schaefer-8 and schaefer-88 were taken schaefer_88 was taken as well as schaefer-88, they all were taken and all but one was hardly used at all within the past 2 years.  now im not complaining as it turned out i really liked my name a lot in the end.

but what if all of these were alts of that one guy. obviously not all of the same guy, but what if they were. most only had mw2 from 3 years ago as there only game with 0 trophies. making sense as them being alts to better that persons stats online. now im all for that, heck ive done it myself with many alts. but now maybe somebody else, such as myself for example(again not complaining so dont turn this on me)wants to use that name. but they cant cause like i said somebody else had them.  

now in the case like i said much earlier, i think maybe sony should give them like a code or something, so if a person is in fact inactive for 4 years and not using a name then the name is reset and becomes available, buuuuuttttt, there progress is all still saved under the code they were given in a type of cloud format(which apparently didnt get through to anyone the first time). so all they would have to do is punch in there code online, then it would all be back, but then they would have to create a new account then instead, then of coarse sony would be bitched at by people like you. so in the end its stupid to bring it up here anyway and forget i said anything.

but one last thing, for the majority though very few people would actually loose much of anything, most names are personal like i said and are hard to take. like my original name, LAXfrEEk880, whose gunna take that?? now that dude "country" on the other hand is a differnet story. that name would probably be gone very quickly.

just food for thought Smiley Wink

My many MAG alts:
LAXfrEEk880, LAX-8-, laxbro-8-, L--A--X-_-V, G-R-i-M-Z-z-_-V and SchaeFeR__8[ps4 account so add me Smiley Happy]
Message 15 of 52 (364 Views)
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Feb 16, 2014
They could just take away the username after 3 years of not logging in, and then if they sign in again they just have to re enter a new username.
Message 16 of 52 (360 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1159 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Evan297 wrote:
They could just take away the username after 3 years of not logging in, and then if they sign in again they just have to re enter a new username.

yes but the only problem being what if somebody new has gone and taken that account and decided to use it, then whose is it??

My many MAG alts:
LAXfrEEk880, LAX-8-, laxbro-8-, L--A--X-_-V, G-R-i-M-Z-z-_-V and SchaeFeR__8[ps4 account so add me Smiley Happy]
Message 17 of 52 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Isn't that against rules and regulations?
Message 18 of 52 (356 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Hmmm...there are many variables and reasons why someone won't touch an account for long periods of time. The tricky thing is really figuring out why the acount should be deleted  or deactivated. If I can't use Ultima_Bomb_Aerith to me isn't enough of a reason. The person using the name in question may have a long history of perfect RPG completions that go up in smoke due to his lack of interest in the current atmosphere of RPGS. To find an reasonable answer to this question I guess will have to be really thought out or dropped all together. Seems like a bomb waiting to go off. 

Message 19 of 52 (336 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13558 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Evan297 wrote:

But then how does it look on people's friends list?

Plus, how do you just tie all your stuff to a new PSN ID? They already talked about how complicated changing PSN IDs would be, and this would essentially be changing PSN IDs.

And then you have the problems of impersonation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 52 (331 Views)
0 Likes