Treasure Hunter
4466 posts

Re: Should Sony troll Microsoft Xbox reveal May 21st?

May 7, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

dewadonuts wrote:

To add on to the huge unprofessional point that has been brought up, Sony has more to lose in that situation than they have to gain. So they get a quick laugh and the "ooohhs" from the internet, but they have a little less to present for their own conference, risk the possibility of Microsoft's news overshadowing their own, and risk soiling their relationship with Microsoft.

Sure they are competing companies, but I believe that they do consult with each other a tiny bit to control how the console scene develops as a whole. Imagine what effect having a game for $5-10 less will generate for Microsoft if they've got hardware to rival the PS4. Its just a bad idea in general and I'm certain they don't want to make things harder for themselves.

Presenting last at E3 is the safest and closest you'll get to this "idea"

Ehh, I don't think they consult with each other at all. It is a rival company. You don't want them to know what you're planning anymore than they want you to know what they are.

But, yes, Sony deciding to go after Microsoft at the opening day of E3is close enough to the OP's idea. It alone is a nice middle finger to the MS. Considering Sony/Microsoft have always done their press conferences on separate days of E3.

I don't think Sony is worried about "Soiling" any kind of relationship with MS, either. After all, they are the ones who had the little rub "we didn't create a box.." at their February PS4 event. It is a console war. Both want to win the hearts of gamers, and especially the wallets of the people who will only buy 1 of the 2 consoles.

Actually the past couple of years Sony has done theirs on the same day as microsoft. The schedule this year is about the same as it was last year.

Message 21 of 31 (149 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1330 posts

May 7, 2013

I am pretty sure Microshaft trolls themselves with things like Pizza Hut apps and Dance Dance Cheerleader Bonaza!!

"For god ,your soul ... For me, your flesh...""

Message 22 of 31 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 7, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

dewadonuts wrote:

Ehh, I don't think they consult with each other at all. It is a rival company. You don't want them to know what you're planning anymore than they want you to know what they are.

But, yes, Sony deciding to go after Microsoft at the opening day of E3is close enough to the OP's idea. It alone is a nice middle finger to the MS. Considering Sony/Microsoft have always done their press conferences on separate days of E3.

I don't think Sony is worried about "Soiling" any kind of relationship with MS, either. After all, they are the ones who had the little rub "we didn't create a box.." at their February PS4 event. It is a console war. Both want to win the hearts of gamers, and especially the wallets of the people who will only buy 1 of the 2 consoles.

Well yeah, the general idea is to not let your competition know what you are doing if you want to survive, but I look at things like the $60 for a game price point, the general complaints regarding it, wonder how it came to be and why it didn't budge until recently. Or even outside of gaming, the general ripoff in price when it comes to internet in the US. Its just tiny general things like that that I feel are being shared, not any kind of benchmark vital to a system's success. I could be totally imagining it, idk, we'll see with this new generation how far apart/similar their capabilities are.

I'll have to go listen to the conference again since I don't recall it, but the "we didn't create a box" statement just sounds like a jab to me, but not on the level of attack some of these phone ads are on, or even the Mac vs PC ad level.

Message 23 of 31 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

May 7, 2013

No that's childish and Sony isn't in that power position anymore.  With the ps2 and xbox Sony was the obvious top dog now they both are at about the same spot and this would not help their position.  Also, E3 gets alot more mainstream attention than the announcements so it would be better just to save it all for E3

Message 24 of 31 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 7, 2013

Mercenary09 wrote:

Actually the past couple of years Sony has done theirs on the same day as microsoft. The schedule this year is about the same as it was last year.

You're right. I had to double check for myself. I don't know why I kept thinking their press conferences were on separate days the past few years. I was probably getting it confused with Nintendo. I usually watch all 3 live.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 25 of 31 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

May 8, 2013
Like 2 days after event, Sony shows the PS4 console and confirms that Gaikai emulation will work day 1. that would be great.
Message 26 of 31 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

May 8, 2013
I don't think that Sony should "troll" Microsoft. What I do think they should do is to watch the announcement. Microsoft watched Sony's announcement, so Sony should do the same. That isn't trolling in any way, it's keeping up with your competition. Microsoft has without a doubt adjusted their next console in reaction to the ps4. Sony will be able to gain important information on the next Xbox, and with that information can change their market scheme for the ps4. Depending on what Microsoft reveals, Sony will be able to use the advantages of the ps4 over the Xbox. The always on Internet requirement will be a major factor in which Sony is probably hoping that Microsoft makes the mistake of putting on their system. Another thing that Sony is probably hoping for is the lack of focus on gaming, which is a key point that I'll be looking for in the announcement.

CoD is nothing more than an attempt to get extra attention to the system. A lot of people at this point seem to have little faith in Microsoft's next console, but are more interested in the next CoD. This can very easily turn against Microsoft, as people will be just waiting for Microsoft get done with their announcement in order to see the next CoD. Pairing a major series with a not well accepted game system (so far, according to the rumors) can make the people see the console as the less important topic of the show, which I think will actually be the case.

I'll watch the Microsoft announcement not because of a desire for the console, but because I follow the industry as a whole and knowing all of the major systems is an important part of working electronics sales.
My PSN
Message 27 of 31 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 8, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

I think what he is trying to say is Sony should make a big reveal the day of Microsoft's event, so that Sony can steal some of their thunder away. (which isn't a bad idea. It's a competitive move. Not trolling.)

Sony is already doing that.... they're presentation is AT THE END of E3

No, no, we are not talking about E3. We are talking about Microsoft's event on the 21st.

But yes, I know Sony is having their E3 press conference at the end of June 10th (same day as Microsoft), and that is a great move. They have usually always done it on another day, in the past.

And that is not the end of E3, they are just closing out the special opening day. E3 2013 officially runs from June 11th thru the 13th.

I believe Sony has ONE more event before E3, or am I wrong?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 28 of 31 (104 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

May 8, 2013
Sony has an event scheduled the day before e3 later on the same day as Microsoft's day before e3 event.
My PSN
Message 29 of 31 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 9, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I believe Sony has ONE more event before E3, or am I wrong?

No. I believe E3 is the next thing we're waiting on from Sony. Other than any announcements they make through the ps.blog between now and E3.

the_ed_85 wrote:
Sony has an event scheduled the day before e3 later on the same day as Microsoft's day before e3 event.

The June 10th event IS E3. Even though E3 is officially scheduled for June 11th-13th, Sony and Microsoft open it up on the 10th with their press conferences, at the LA Convention Center.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 30 of 31 (79 Views)
0 Likes