Highlighted
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: Should i buy the vertical stand for the ps4?

Oct 23, 2013

AbsenceOfFaith wrote:
Does anyone know whether the bottom vents are blocked when the PS4 is vertical? That's the main reason why I lay my 360 horizontal...Its vents are blocked when placed in a vertical fashion.

No they wont be. Sony is not dumb enough to make a console when placed one way ( which they advertise to do so ) would block the cooling ability of the system

Message 21 of 29 (597 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16314 posts

Oct 23, 2013

AbsenceOfFaith wrote:
Does anyone know whether the bottom vents are blocked when the PS4 is vertical? That's the main reason why I lay my 360 horizontal...Its vents are blocked when placed in a vertical fashion.

The PS4 does not have any vents on either side of the console.

So no, no vents are blocked with the PS4 being vertical. The only vents the PS4 has are on the front and the MASSIVE vent at the back.

You can see for yourself when you search for pictures of the PS4.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 22 of 29 (585 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
860 posts

Oct 23, 2013
I NEVER stand my consoles up on the side, not even the original playstation i am always afraid that it would tip over somehow while playing so i always play them horrizontal like the original playstation. now the xbox360 was different, i couldnt lay it down because of the vents.

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Message 23 of 29 (581 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5475 posts

Oct 23, 2013

I have been saying for a while that I would get a vertical stand for my PS3 and PS4, so that all three (PS2/3/4) are standing next to one another in harmony, but, upon measuring the space, I find that I have enough area to stand the PS3, and still keep the PS4 flat.  Also, the entertainment center I am possibly upgrading to would do better with all consoles flat, which I honestly prefer (I like everything to match - OCD). 

I don't think there's any real detriment to vertically placing the PS4, so long as you don't keep switching it, although it does add the mild risk to the HDD that Setz pointed out. 

Grindhead_Jim

Message 24 of 29 (574 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14186 posts

Oct 23, 2013

It depends if you plan to set up your PS4 vertically. If you do, then yes it's a good idea. If not, then just leeave it horizontal. I think that it'll work either way.

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 25 of 29 (565 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5769 posts

Oct 23, 2013

Jim is correct in saying that there is no performance issues whether you have the console vertical or horizontal.

He is also correct in that the only risk is the fact of someone knocking the console over.

An HDD has spinning discs (platters) inside that use tiny magnets to right on the platters. If those platters are moving and the console has a shock it could damage the drive. Think about something that is spinning at 5400rpm (we don't know what the PS4 HDD truly is yet but that is the slowest) and something scraping on it. It could do a lot of damage really fast.

For those that think the download issues are due to Sony
READ THIS!
http://www.measurementlab.net/static/observatory/M-Lab_Interconnection_Study_US.pdf
Message 26 of 29 (551 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
341 posts

Oct 23, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

psfanatic98 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

No. As I dont think it has a solid state drive... it's generally not good to have them set like that... even if they're "designed to"

Really, its not a great idea.

What exactly is a solid state drive,and why is it not a good idea?

Putting it simply, the hard drive has moving parts that can be knocked out of whack more easily in a position it's not designed to be in.

The HDD has a needled that writes information on a disc that spins. It hovers ever so slightly above this disc. That's why when someone says their hard drive "Crashed" It literally did crash...as the needle ceased to hover above the surface.

The reason I brought this up was because contrary to a solid state (virtually no moving parts) holding a typical HDD anywhay but horizontal can increase the chances of a failure.

You may want to do your research about that before opening you meatflaps

Message 27 of 29 (545 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Oct 23, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

psfanatic98 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

No. As I dont think it has a solid state drive... it's generally not good to have them set like that... even if they're "designed to"

Putting it simply, the hard drive has moving parts that can be knocked out of whack more easily in a position it's not designed to be in.

The HDD has a needled that writes information on a disc that spins. It hovers ever so slightly above this disc. That's why when someone says their hard drive "Crashed" It literally did crash...as the needle ceased to hover above the surface.

The reason I brought this up was because contrary to a solid state (virtually no moving parts) holding a typical HDD anywhay but horizontal can increase the chances of a failure.

Would a Hybrid Solid State Drive like the one by Seagate be safe?

Message 28 of 29 (542 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1523 posts

Oct 24, 2013

StrongBlackVine9 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

psfanatic98 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Would a Hybrid Solid State Drive like the one by Seagate be safe?

Please dont listen to the dude you quoted he knows NOTHING about hdds, A hard drive is made to be faced in way. vertical, horizantal, whatever. You do not have to worry about dammaging the hdd unless you you drop it which would damage anything lol. i currently have a hdd in my tower vertical and its been that way for 10yrs its a old hitachi and tech has only gotten better so t will not even a little big affect a hard drive.

Goodbye home
Message 29 of 29 (519 Views)
0 Likes