Nov 09 2012
By: Logical_Dolphin PIayStation MVP 12905 posts

Should the Vita been delayed here until Fall '12?

[ Edited ]
55 replies 299 views Edited Nov 9, 2012

I tend to believe that the VIta's launch should have been delayed until about now.

I don't think Sony did any favors for the Vita in the US, releasing it as early as they did. It had a good launch lineup, but languished for many months during the late spring and summer without many significant releases, which I believed hurt the platform significantly.

If the Vita launched in the US about now, it could have benefited from the hype of its release coupled with the holiday buying season. With the library that is already built up for the Vita, it could have launched with really strong titles like Uncharted, COD, Assassin's Creed, LBP, Madden, and Need for Speed. All of the remaining titles could have been spaced out and released on a schedule, going into 2013, so that there is a perceived indication that there is regular release of games. By doing this, it will give Sony and other developers some breathing room to better develop Vita's 2013 titles.

We also could have avoided the seemingly long amount of time it took Sony to make the Vita compatible with PSone classics and digital PSP games. These options should have been available from the start, and I think it hurt the Vita's reputation that it wasn't. This could have been avoided with a US Fall '12 launch.

Having the cross-buy/cross-play program set up at launch, as well as Vita's inclusion in the PS+ program, could have really resonated with current PS3 owners.

In general, I think it is a bad idea for Sony to do a simultaneous (or near simulation) launch of their systems. The PS1's and PS2's US launches were about 9 and 5 months (respectively) after their respective Japanese launches, and that allowed those platforms to launch in the country with a decent selection of titles and future release of content on a continuous basis.

The PSP was launched in the US at similar timeframe (post Japanese launch) as the Vita, but the main difference was that the PSP was a very unique platform at the time, and had plenty of 3rd party support, helping to ensure a good launch and post launch. Because the Vita did not have as much 3rd party support to begin with, should have necessitated a delay in its launch in territories outside of Japan.

Message 1 of 56 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4151 posts

Re: Should the Vita been delayed here until Fall '12?

Nov 9, 2012
Yes! Agreed. Holiday season makes more sense in the US. But I think all the black Friday deals will sell many units.
Message 2 of 56 (291 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Nov 9, 2012
The nintendo64 only launched with 2 titles with little 3rd party support. Yet it did well in gaming history.
Message 3 of 56 (289 Views)
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Nintendo 64 was a collossal failure and got trounced by Sony... N lost all third party support and market position LMAO.

Message 4 of 56 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4151 posts

Nov 9, 2012
^Bro, you need to attend my seminar on how to troll. You're not good at it. N64 a failure? I guess VHS was a failure also.

I'm pretty sure you're an Xbox fan boy. But hey, when you can hide behind a computer, we all can be internet warriors.
Message 5 of 56 (274 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Nov 9, 2012

I'm kind of on the fence on whether or not the Vita launch was premature. I'm happy it launched when it did, because soon (a few months) after I was able to play MGS: Snake Eater on a handheld (a personal dream = fullfilled). What the Vita needed was a powerhouse game at launch, and I'm not saying that uncharted is not a powerhouse franchise, but imagine if the Vita was launched with an all new God of War game for the Vita or a Grand Turismo Vita. Sony should know that to be successful you need to show up to the party carrying your biggest guns and Sony relied on third party developers to do that for them, this in my opinion was their biggest mistake. Well, we can only learn from our mistakes and hopefully Sony can learn from theirs.

Message 6 of 56 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

troll? How is facts trolling? Nintendo went from dominant industry behemoth to a console that lost most third party support, sold way less then its previous consoles (ONly 30 Million) and got trounced by a new kid on the block in sony...

I had an N64, it had some great games but from a  financial and business side it was a massive failure by nintendo, they also decided to stick with cartridges instead of CD's which made developing for the system a pain.

I am an xbox fan cause I said N64 was a failure? Do you have a brain?

Message 7 of 56 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Nov 9, 2012

I gotta stand with puppetz, the N64 was a flop.  And before we go down the "fanboy" road, I was a nintendo loyalist until the N64. 

It had a badly limited selection of games, absurd controllers and accessories, and an "optional" uprgade that turned out to be required for the last generation of games.  The ONLY things it did right were LoZ and SSB, 2 game series that almost singlehandedly kept this system afloat.

Back on the real topic, as much as I LOVE my Vita, it has suffered from a lack of games.  Further, some of these games could have used just a little more time in the shop, if you know what I mean.  Had it come out NOW, I'd probably be even happier with it, as I wouldn't have had to wait for everything.

Message 8 of 56 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4151 posts

Nov 9, 2012
Golden Eye was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Message 9 of 56 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4151 posts

Nov 9, 2012
Well its popular amongst us college students. You go to any college dorm and there will always be more n64's than any other system. Why? Because beer pong and Mario cart go along way.
Message 10 of 56 (243 Views)
0 Likes