Highlighted
Feb 26 2014
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14623 posts

Should the length of a game decide its price?

[ Edited ]
42 replies 266 views Edited Feb 27, 2014

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has come under fire recently because of reports that indicate its length to be from 2-3 hours long. The backlash seems to be over the price of the prologue given this reported length. They argued that a game should not cost $40 if it is only a 2 hour-long prologue ($30 on last gen consoles). The backlash seems to be the reason that Konami dropped the price of Ground Zeroes to $30 on the PS4 and Xbox One. 

The questions that I want to ask are: Should the length of a game determine its price? And, If not, what should determine the price?

MY VIEW:

I feel that the rage is premature in the case of Ground Zeroes. The reason being that I believe we should judge the worth of game by its quality and not necessarily how long it takes to beat. There are too many factors to put into a game. Is it replayable? Are there side quests to keep me occupied after the main story? Even without a substantial story in Grand Theft Auto V, it would still feature plenty of replayability based off its open world and city. Add in its multiplayer and it may even be worth $60! 

Ultimately, I feel the price of game is warranted (or not) by how I feel once I am done with it. Did that game feature the best 2 hours in recent memory? Was the story fantastic? Did it feature enough to keep me occupied long after the credits roll? If any of these turned out to be true, the game's $40 price becomes worth it. While quality in higher quanties is great, the length of a game is but a minisule part in determining the worth of a game.

Edit: Edited title

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 43 (266 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Re: Should the Length of a Game Decide its Price?

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has come under fire recently because of reports that indicate its length to be from 2-3 hours long. The backlash seems to be over the price of the prologue given this reported length. They argued that a game should not cost $40 if it is only a 2 hour-long prologue ($30 on last gen consoles). The backlash seems to be the reason that Konami dropped the price of Ground Zeroes to $30 on the PS4 and Xbox One. 

The questions that I want to ask are: Should the length of a game determine its price? And, If not, what should determine the price?

MY VIEW:

I feel that the rage is premature in the case of Ground Zeroes. The reason being that I believe we should judge the worth of game by its quality and not necessarily how long it takes to beat. There are too many factors to put into a game. Is it replayable? Are there side quests to keep me occupied after the main story? Even without a substantial story in Grand Theft Auto V, it would still feature plenty of replayability based off its open world and city. Add in its multiplayer and it may even be worth $60! 

Ultimately, I feel the price of game is warranted (or not) by how I feel once I am done with it. Did that game feature the best 2 hours in recent memory? Was the story fantastic? Did it feature enough to keep me occupied long after the credits roll? If any of these turned out to be true, the game's $40 price becomes worth it. While quality in higher quanties is great, the length of a game is but a minisule part in determining the worth of a game.

I agree with everything you say.  The thing is that people always will be worried about their money going into something that they think wont keep the busy enough.  I will buy it even when it was 40$ and I pre order it even knowing that.  I respect every person's point of view because I like when they respect mine.  Every person has the right to decide.  My decision is made.  I wish I could tell some others to trust and buy it but I cannot.  I am happy about Konami giving us a price drop even if it is a little bit on retail only. I am excited for March to hit. 

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 2 of 43 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2567 posts

Feb 26, 2014
Persona 4 golden: $120

Look at what you did now
Message 3 of 43 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2567 posts

Feb 26, 2014
But on the other hand...

Almost every ratchet and clank game: $10

hhhh
Message 4 of 43 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2275 posts

Feb 26, 2014

i read that the game is not gonna be 39.99 more like 29.99 now kojima said america will get the same discount from other places if this is true im very happy

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 5 of 43 (240 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 26, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

i read that the game is not gonna be 39.99 more like 29.99 now kojima said america will get the same discount from other places if this is true im very happy

It is true so we can all be happy with MGSV GZ. Smiley Happy

My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 6 of 43 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2275 posts

Feb 26, 2014

im very happy now i can get both :} infamous and mgs wohooo o yea but need to pay cell phone next month ughh

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 7 of 43 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4036 posts

Feb 26, 2014

I agree and disagree, price value of a game is in its content. Not just main it's story line. Side missions are part of the content and should be added to completion time.

Multiplayer will give unlimited time in a game while its a great feature it should not be added. The gray area come from short fast games like Resogun or a race game with short races you do over and over. They extend content with harder levels and earning in game items.

So how much entertainment should you get for $60? Lets use a movie 2hrs = $10.

That gives us 12hr.
 My personal opinion is:

$60 8-12 Hrs.

$50 7-10 Hrs.

$40 5-9Hrs

$30 4-8 Hrs.

$20 2-4 Hrs.

$10 less than 2Hrs.

For the most part this is what we see. A lot of times much more sometimes much less. When we do see less. Then yes I feel I paid to much. Depending on income you may put more or less value on your entertainment.

Add in that we do see Demo's that run 15min to a couple hours. At the price of nothing,free! People play games differently some rush the game some explore every inch. It would be very hard to label a time to completion of any game. Know what your getting before you buy it, and what you buy is what it is. Nothing more nothing less.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 8 of 43 (227 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 26, 2014

JohnKarnes wrote:

I agree and disagree, price value of a game is in its content. Not just main it's story line. Side missions are part of the content and should be added to completion time.

Multiplayer will give unlimited time in a game while its a great feature it should not be added. The gray area come from short fast games like Resogun or a race game with short races you do over and over. They extend content with harder levels and earning in game items.

So how much entertainment should you get for $60? Lets use a movie 2hrs = $10.

That gives us 12hr.
 My personal opinion is:

$60 8-12 Hrs.

$50 7-10 Hrs.

$40 5-9Hrs

$30 4-8 Hrs.

$20 2-4 Hrs.

$10 less than 2Hrs.

For the most part this is what we see. A lot of times much more sometimes much less. When we do see less. Then yes I feel I paid to much. Depending on income you may put more or less value on your entertainment.

Add in that we do see Demo's that run 15min to a couple hours. At the price of nothing,free! People play games differently some rush the game some explore every inch. It would be very hard to label a time to completion of any game. Know what your getting before you buy it, and what you buy is what it is. Nothing more nothing less.

Thats a little bit impossible to ask for but its your opinion.  I dont think that would happen. I wish but.

Message 9 of 43 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Well, of course not!! Practically speaking though..... absolutely. 

MGS V;GZ is not a full game. We can't deny the fact that lenght of a game adds to its monetary value. If its ok selling a game that take 2-6hrs to complete for $30/$40, then what should games like skyrim, FF15, BF4 (that actually have a campeign and multiplayer), FIFA/PES/NBA2K14 (that also offer year round entertainment as long as you game online) cost?????

MGSV:GZ should not cost more than $20 anyway you spin it. It just shouldn't. And its times like this gamers should make statememnts with their wallets cause trust me... you don't want publishers thinking they can get away with this or else they will abuse the hell outta it.

Well... I am not gonna purchase GZ on any platform. I will wait till it cost as much as I think its worth, which is $10, or till its either on PS+ (IGC or discounted to $10) or bundled with the full game MGSVSmiley TongueP. 

Message 10 of 43 (218 Views)