Welcoming Committee
13851 posts

Re: Shuhei Yoshida explains why PS4 requires a PS Plus subscription for online play

Jun 28, 2013

Does someone know how many minutes that share feature actually records?

I know it's probably not important but I expect it's a PS+ feature?

Message 21 of 30 (189 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4327 posts

Re: Shuhei Yoshida explains why PS4 requires a PS Plus subscription for online play

Jun 28, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

x8x-HYDRO-x8x wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

x8x-HYDRO-x8x wrote:

Didn't mean to double post. Sorry Smiley Embarassed

I forgive you. That is all that matters. 

Also, some of the improvements have already been made clear. Cross game chat and the streaming to your friends on PSN. 

Really those are just perks though. I wanna know about server improvements and protection. We don't want to be getting hacked again....Ever.

^ This and I want voice chat to actually be good on PS4. It is horrible on PS3.

As long as my (our) money is going towards improving these things, I am A-OK with paying.

Voice chat quality depends more on your equipment than the hardware you're using....

Use a cheap bluetooth mic, you're gonna get "cheap"....

You buy a quality mic or headset, you're gonna get quality.

I've been exploring the use of Mixamps and such for audio and voice comm and it CONSIDERABLY improves quality almost on all fronts. 

As has been the case for this entire generation.

Im not expecting it to be any better than it already is with the mic that Sony is packaging with the PS4.... because honestly.... its something that can be purchased for less than $5. 
Remember..... you can either be happy with it, or use it as a stepping stone to something much better in the future as the platform matures

Of course, the better the mic, the better the quality. I have a great mic, yet the voice chat quality is horrible on PSN. (in my opinion) It's the same one I use with my phone. A cheap crappy headset on 360 sounds better, and only gets "better" with higher quality headsets.

All I'm saying is that I hope the voice chat quality on PS4 is much better than PS3. Not too much to ask for.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 22 of 30 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Jun 28, 2013

As a new ps3 owner who switched from xbox and xbox live I'm completely fine with paying for the current ps+ and the new ps+ to access the online features. In general I am much more pleased with my ps+ subscription than I ever was with my xbl subscription not to mention that the current ps+ and the new ps+ are still cheaper than ms's service. 

Message 23 of 30 (172 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4327 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2013

fortune_exe wrote:

As a new ps3 owner who switched from xbox and xbox live I'm completely fine with paying for the current ps+ and the new ps+ to access the online features. In general I am much more pleased with my ps+ subscription than I ever was with my xbl subscription not to mention that the current ps+ and the new ps+ are still cheaper than ms's service. 

And just keep in mind. Sony is only charging for Multiplayer access. Not online features like Microsoft does with XBL Gold.

So, non PS+ subscribers can still use apps and the PS Store.

They just can't play multiplayer unless they have PS+.

This is something MS really needs to consider doing with the Xbox One.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 24 of 30 (163 Views)
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Jun 28, 2013

that's basically how it was with xbl. Store and some online features were there, but if you wanted netflix, hulu, or multiplayer access you needed xbl. That being said I'm still fine paying for ps+ because I got rid of my xbl after ms burned us.

Message 25 of 30 (157 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4327 posts

Jun 28, 2013

fortune_exe wrote:

that's basically how it was with xbl. Store and some online features were there, but if you wanted netflix, hulu, or multiplayer access you needed xbl. That being said I'm still fine paying for ps+ because I got rid of my xbl after ms burned us.

I couldn't even download a free copy (from a voucher) of "Gears of War" unless I had an XBL Gold account. Smiley Surprised

Thankfully, my brother had a free limited time XBL Gold voucher for me to use.

Message 26 of 30 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
892 posts

Jun 28, 2013

So in other words, gaikai.............well no duh.  Those servers are expensive.

I don't understand why people are complaining about paying for online anyway.  If that means you get better servers so you don't have to deal with the lag that is Uncharted 3 (God that online is hot garbage), then please take my money.  Take all of it.  I want dedicated servers.  Do something CoD won't do.

Message 27 of 30 (119 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4327 posts

Jun 28, 2013

aka_TRAP wrote:

So in other words, gaikai.............well no duh.  Those servers are expensive.

I don't understand why people are complaining about paying for online anyway.  If that means you get better servers so you don't have to deal with the lag that is Uncharted 3 (God that online is hot garbage), then please take my money.  Take all of it.  I want dedicated servers.  Do something CoD won't do.

There will still be lag. XBL has lag. Nowhere have I read that Sony is installing dedicated servers, so that is not what we're paying for.

Not that there won't be the occasional game that has dedicated servers, but for the most part, I'm assuming it will remain P2P, like it is now.

Regardless, if paying helps improve the overall PSN experience, then I (and many) are on board.

You get what to pay for, and PSN has been weak in comparison to XBL.

Message 28 of 30 (100 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16313 posts

Jun 28, 2013

O41291 wrote:
So we got to pay for features we might never want just to play games online that doesn't affect Sony's resources? Lol.

Its called "Benefits"....

if you don't see the GOOD Plus does for you.... aside from being mandatory for Online play.... then you simply need to do some more researching. 

I have paid for XBL for almost 6 years..... starting on the original xbox when you had to us Client discs to log-in and stopping a few years ago on X360, and NOT ONCE have I felt that I was getting my moneys worth..... 6 x$60...... thats money wasted because I saw ZERO value in it. Only until recently were there discounts on XBL, but no free games and a rather convoluted UI that made it difficult for any indie game to get visibility.

vs Plus where I've been given hundreds of dollars worth of free games which included games that I would have never known about or bothered to try because I was too picky in my selection of games aka giving better visibility to lesser and indie games, not to mention the oodles of deeper discounts given vs non-Plus for DLC, games and movie purchases and occasional rentals (not that I would buy a movie from PSN due to their rather restrictive DRM practice)

You're one of a small group of people who can't be bothered to open their eyes and see the value of a Plus subscription. Either by igorance (willful or not) or lack of homework.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 29 of 30 (91 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16313 posts

Jun 28, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

x8x-HYDRO-x8x wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

x8x-HYDRO-x8x wrote:

Didn't mean to double post. Sorry Smiley Embarassed

I forgive you. That is all that matters. 

Also, some of the improvements have already been made clear. Cross game chat and the streaming to your friends on PSN. 

Really those are just perks though. I wanna know about server improvements and protection. We don't want to be getting hacked again....Ever.

^ This and I want voice chat to actually be good on PS4. It is horrible on PS3.

As long as my (our) money is going towards improving these things, I am A-OK with paying.

Voice chat quality depends more on your equipment than the hardware you're using....

Use a cheap bluetooth mic, you're gonna get "cheap"....

You buy a quality mic or headset, you're gonna get quality.

I've been exploring the use of Mixamps and such for audio and voice comm and it CONSIDERABLY improves quality almost on all fronts. 

As has been the case for this entire generation.

Im not expecting it to be any better than it already is with the mic that Sony is packaging with the PS4.... because honestly.... its something that can be purchased for less than $5. 
Remember..... you can either be happy with it, or use it as a stepping stone to something much better in the future as the platform matures

Of course, the better the mic, the better the quality. I have a great mic, yet the voice chat quality is horrible on PSN. (in my opinion) It's the same one I use with my phone. A cheap crappy headset on 360 sounds better, and only gets "better" with higher quality headsets.

All I'm saying is that I hope the voice chat quality on PS4 is much better than PS3. Not too much to ask for.

Try using a Mixamp.... they're a bit pricey.... but they make everything better. 

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 30 of 30 (87 Views)
0 Likes