Highlighted
Feb 06 2014
By: fede01_8 Sackboy 514 posts

So everyone hates multiplayer now?

[ Edited ]
53 replies 800 views Edited Feb 7, 2014

It seems that i has become cool to hate games that include MP? Everyone celebrates when it's announced that a game isn't going to include multiplayer 

Look at Uncharted, The Last of Us or Assasins Creed. Story driven games that include great MP. Imagine if the devs would have listened the idiots whining about "tacked on" multiplayer we would be missing the multiplayer addition of those games. I still play Uncharted 3 MP more than 2 years after it came out.

Multiplayer adds tons of replay. If i pay $60 for a game i want more than a 6 hours long campaign

<< Meowstro Edit: I've updated your thread label. More information about Labels Best Practices in PS General. >>

Message 1 of 54 (800 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13099 posts

Re: So everyone hates multiplayer now?

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2014

I certainly do not think assassins creed has good multiplayer but I think it has potential to do much better

Edit: Inflammatory statement removed.

-Stage_Coach

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 2 of 54 (797 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Feb 6, 2014
I feared that in the future, Multiplayer modes would completely remove the offline single-player experience thanks to dumb gamers who have no knowledge in playing games.

Gran Turismo Fan | Love Live Fan | PC Technician

Gran Turismo 7 Suggestions

Message 3 of 54 (769 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Feb 6, 2014

I don't see the need to hate on multiplayer. Basically, nowadays, multiplayer is what keeps people playing a game for months or even years. Story Mode is also what shapes a game. Having a Single Player only or Multiplayer only game would not be a good idea, just why not have both?

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 4 of 54 (754 Views)
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 6, 2014
^i agree
Message 5 of 54 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Feb 6, 2014
Worry about yourself and you'll be fine.
Message 6 of 54 (743 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
360 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2014

fede01_8 wrote:

It seems that i has become cool to hate games that include MP?

Look at Uncharted, The Last of Us or Assasins Creed. Story driven games that include great MP. Imagine if the devs would have listened the idiots whining about "tacked on" multiplayer we would be missing the multiplayer addition of those games. I still play Uncharted 3 MP more than 2 years after it came out.

Multiplayer adds tons of replay. If i pay $60 for a game i want more than a 6 hours long campaing

I hate tacked on multiplayer. However, I would not call the multiplayer components of any of the games you've listed tacked on. Uncharted has one of the strongest online communities of the PlayStation exclusives, and has been constantly supported by Naughty Dog. The Last of Us is a little barebones, but it is one of the most unique multiplayer games and had me hooked for quite some time. Assassin's Creed isn't overly popular, but it is surprisingly in-depth from what I've seen.

What I don't like is when a game like Tomb Raider throws on shoddy multiplayer just so it can say it has multiplayer. Batman: Arkham Origins is another game that tacked on a multiplayer component that was not very good. I didn't feel like God of War: Ascension really needed its multiplayer either, though I think that has a decent community still going.

Assuming this thread has been created in response to The Order: 1886, I'm glad it doesn't have multiplayer. This is RAD's first major, AAA console title. I want them to show what they can do with the campaign rather than stretch themselves thin by trying to add something that is not part of their vision. I definitely don't want them to outsource multiplayer to another developer who then come back with a shoddy product , like Tomb Raider or Arkham Origins.

Message 7 of 54 (740 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6016 posts

Feb 6, 2014
Only people that hate multiplayer are those that think they are great at a game until they play others online and find out they actually suck. Multiplayer isn't going anywhere. It's what sells games. Multiplayer is where most companies are making their money from with DLC and anything else they throw out there to charge you extra for. I myself buy my games for the multiplayer.
Message 8 of 54 (727 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Feb 6, 2014

Nobody "hates multiplayer" now, however you don't absolutely need it to be in EVERY game, especially when it adds nothing new. I know the common belief that multiplayer "adds replay value", and "it's a different game every time", yet I have to ask how is it a "different game" when it always seems to be the same exact modes we've seen since the original Rainbow Six back in 1997? If it's the same Red vs. Blue death matches, you can fore go them in one game.

I know people like multiplayer because it's "easier". No characters. No story line. No plot twists. No subplots. Just "kill Maddawg217". I would rather skip multiplayer, and let developers make the best game they can, and if they want to add it to the next game, then great. As for a game not being worth $60 without it, Grand Theft Auto V is a great game WITHOUT even touching the multiplayer. Batman Arkham City is a great game as well. Metal Gear Solid 4. Gran Turismo 5. Assassin's Creed, etc. All great games. Multiplayer is a BONUS, not the main course.

Message 9 of 54 (722 Views)
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Feb 6, 2014

awtacular wrote:
Only people that hate multiplayer are those that think they are great at a game until they play others online and find out they actually suck. Multiplayer isn't going anywhere. It's what sells games. Multiplayer is where most companies are making their money from with DLC and anything else they throw out there to charge you extra for. I myself buy my games for the multiplayer.

Not for nothing, but when you work 8-10 hours a day you don't have the time to put into a game to "get good" at it. You get hassled all day long, and then you have to listen to some pre-teen from Provo yell at you, and that's supposed to be "fun"? Are you kidding me?

Message 10 of 54 (718 Views)