Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 12 2011
By: nov2rem Treasure Hunter 8103 posts

Sony NGP Is Affordable For Everyone

8 replies 12 views Edited Mar 12, 2011

Customers have been waiting with anticipation to hear the price of the Sony NGP since the announcement of its launch. For most Sony gaming systems, high cost is a prohibitive factor that has kept many customers from purchasing their products. However, that is all about to change with the introduction of the NGP.

http://epicbattleaxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Unch-NGP.jpg

Jim Ryan, the European VP for Sony Computer Entertainment, has told reporters that the new NGP device will be very affordable. When asked to clarify his statement, the executive revealed that Sony had plans to keep the price low so they could sell their product to a larger audience. With a lower price, the sales are likely to dramatically increase.

Sony products used to be catered to the rich, or people who had a lot of money to invest in gaming. Although this strategy has worked, it has kept Sony from selling their products to the majority of buyers. Sony is finally starting to tap into this potential by offering devices like the PSP for a lower price.

Shuhei Yoshida, the Sony Computer Entertainment President, has echoed a similar sentiment about the NGP yesterday. He said that the successor for the PSP would cater to all kinds of gamers and provide a variety of applications and software choices. Instead of just gaming, users will have all kinds of online interactive features to use. It is certain that the NGP is going to offer an unparalleled gaming experience.

The quality and convenience of Sony products combined with the lower cost is guaranteed to make the NGP a success in the mobile gaming market.

http://www.pspgweber.com/843/sony-ngp-is-affordable-for-everyone.html

Message 1 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10817 posts

Re: Sony NGP Is Affordable For Everyone

Mar 12, 2011

Sony is going  to make it cheaper than the PS3, i mean they have to, so im guessing $200-$250, maybe $275. Just like the original PSP, which was $250 when it came out

Message 2 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 12, 2011

nah most likely 299.99 for the 3G version and 249.99 for the WI-FI only version.

Message 3 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15608 posts

Mar 12, 2011

Sony's statements on the price of the NGP have been very ambiguous, and that one is no exception.  Given that every Sony product released in the last 15 years has been more expensive than the competing Nintendo product, I think that we can assume that the $250 price of the Nintendo 3DS is a floor for the price of the NGP.  If Sony only matches the $250 price point of the direct competition, Sony would consider that very aggressive pricing for the NGP; given its obvious high cost.  As virtually every financial analyst covering the gaming industry has pointed out, handheld gaming platforms don't just compete with each other now.  Increasingly, the type of games that people want to play while mobile are available on the smartphones that people already carry for other purposes.  The number of people that are interested in carrying a second device primarily for gaming is limited to begin with.  Sony already found out how limited when it released the PSP Go.  As an added advantage, smartphones are subsidized by wireless carriers, making them much more affordable than non-phone devices with similar capabilities.  Basically wireless carriers offer free two-year financing for smartphones.  You have to arrange your own financing, or pay cash, for handheld game consoles. Even at $250, the NGP would not seem that affordable outside of the core gaming market.

Mobility has always been considered a feature.  Laptop computers always cost more than desktop computers with similar specifications, because building a light-weight computer system that can run for hours on a battery; costs more than building a computer where weight and power consumption don't matter much, because it is rarely moved, and always plugged in. Accordingly, Sony would not think that it was inappropriate for the NGP to cost as much as the current (reduced by 50% since launch) price of the PS3, especially given all of the claims that Sony has made about it having the power to run PS3-caliber games.  Marketing the NGP as a portable PS3 is likely an effort to justify a PS3-level price. From Sony's perspective, a portable PS3 for the same price as a non-portable PS3 would be considered affordable. A price of $299.99, is a definite possibility; perhaps even likely given the usual price difference between Sony and Nintendo products aimed at the same market.  More than $300 would not be considered affordable for a handheld, or aggressive pricing compared to the PS3, so I think the smart money will be on a launch price of $299.99; but you never know with Sony.

Core gamers, at least the ones that aren't fanboys, will eventually buy both the 3DS and the NGP, but it is doubtful that the NGP will be any more successful at increasing the market for handheld gaming consoles than the PSP Go was. That would also argue against being more aggressive with pricing than is necessary to compete with Nintendo.

GKP
Message 4 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Apr 19, 2011

It'll be interesting to see what Sony does, but I don't see NGP costing more than $300 personally. I don't know if NGP will manage to top the 3DS, but it does stand a chance. 23%(could possibly be more, that's the last percentage I saw though) of the world's population has an issue with depth perception, which prohibits someone from seeing simulated 3D images, such as the 3DS puts out. Now a lot of people make the argument that you can just turn this off, but I think a lot of those people will still avoid the 3DS due to that(if anything because of ignorance of the system) and may turn to PSP2 instead.

Message 5 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Apr 19, 2011

fullmetalcrusade wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what Sony does, but I don't see NGP costing more than $300 personally. I don't know if NGP will manage to top the 3DS, but it does stand a chance. 23%(could possibly be more, that's the last percentage I saw though) of the world's population has an issue with depth perception, which prohibits someone from seeing simulated 3D images, such as the 3DS puts out. Now a lot of people make the argument that you can just turn this off, but I think a lot of those people will still avoid the 3DS due to that(if anything because of ignorance of the system) and may turn to PSP2 instead.

I totally agree. And also gamers who for some reason or another just do not like 3d period(like myself) will not want a 3ds. If the NGP is priced at about $300 it will do well in sales. For many people it may be a first launch buy, especially if there are a significant # of games that are released along side it!

Message 6 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 19, 2011

pirate2120 wrote:

fullmetalcrusade wrote:

I totally agree. And also gamers who for some reason or another just do not like 3d period(like myself) will not want a 3ds. If the NGP is priced at about $300 it will do well in sales. For many people it may be a first launch buy, especially if there are a significant # of games that are released along side it!

IDK guys the way people buy IPHONE's and HTC's and stuff and they don't even have all the in it that is NGP......I don't see price as a factor.....I mean it is a factor but I feel it is one that can be looked past....

Maaaaan they better have a good stack of games because I read that the Xperia Play (PS Phone) will be releasing with 50 titles..........I be damned if the NGP has only 2-5 on release day that just wouldn't be right.....

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 7 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Apr 19, 2011

It's unfair to compare a handheld console to something like an iphone or HTC though, because iPhones and HTCs are...well, phones. Their primary function is to serve as a phone, but also offer a lot of extras like instant email access through apps and such. A smartphone is an overall much more productive and useful device than either PSP2 or 3DS, so it's best to just stick with comparing PSPS2 to other handheld gaming devices and not cellphones. But yes, you're right, people do pay a lot for smartphones and technically, smartphones aren't as powerful as something ike PSP2 or 3DS, but it also serves you a lot more in your everyday life.

Message 8 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 19, 2011

No it is fair in the sense that NGP is a mobile electronic...on the football field a QB and RB stats may differ none the less at the MVP awards we will see who gets the MVP awards regardless their position on the field...

To be more lenient towards you I will say Xperia Play vs IPONE vs HTC......and ....NGP vs IPAD vs Droid Tablet

(Which there could be a chance there will be titles on these bigger mobile's being "PS Suite" is what it is.)

Bottom line is this commercial that pirate2120 has brought to my attention....I linked it frm another site there seems to be some major lag on my PC everytime I go to this hip hop gamer site to watch the video???? Any who....it may be a Xperia Play commercial but it still brings to light "PS Suite" and titles that may end up on the NGP (and Xperia Play which is already in effect) and are playable on IPADS and Droid Tablets

Xperia Play Commercial Ownage

After that Just say to your self it is and NGP and this guy has a Tablet or IPAD.....

Xperia Play Commercial Series

This is just to see the others...I should post this tuff in a new thread.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 9 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes