Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Online
7025 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 30, 2012

But how is in-house the way to go if it's not working? You're trying to explain it as a smart business decision even though it doesn't seem "nice" but the simple fact is that it's not. How is it a good business move when Sony is the only one forcing people to use proprietary memory  in gaming and they're last in sales? Sure I want them to allow competition to drive prices down by using some kind of third party memory because it's cheaper for me, but THEY should do it because nobody is buying their money pit of a handheld- alexhood

 

  

 Well No one know if it working or not ,  I dont  know the  books of sony finances and spents and etc etc., and we may  never know  them, its not very important btw.. but i know the vita has picked up sales and is selling out just about everywhere. the  memeory card where dropped in priced and sold out  very quickly on a  limted sale.. I think the  marketing /sales team see all and know this.  Things  will get better, for them in this  area.If they feel they can  get  80-150% more revenue with that  a price drop range  they will  do so also if  it cover all  ends of expenses they may have.  They will try to do that  its their job  to find a way to maximize revenue. i cant say  they will or should, i dont the  know the book of sony nor do i have enough  liqour in my cabniets  and time to be  reading finance book of them. Im just fan like  everyone else, i care about there games and entertainment not the finance books.

 

 In house is the  best way to  go in buisness though. Its not forcing anyone to buy  your  brand,   america is free market.  You  can only get a  new ford  from a ford dealer as well as the parts, a new  2013 benz  from a  benz dealer as well as the parts  and they will be  very  expensive!!..  , its not  forcing anyone to buy or nickling and diming folks.. its the best way to control  revenue and protection of the brand and   product to the comsumer.  It may seem that way ( evil and greedy)  but  big  buisness mean big revenue to stay afloat,

 

 Like  said before 90 -100%  of  all buisness dream to  do in house for there brands. Its  the hardest way  but the best way. No one want a  buisness  to be owned by the bank for 80 Yrs. You cant really profit like that or expand.. Your ideas  are not yours  when owned by a  bunch of suits and banks. If  you  ever get into buisness and into  pushing  your own product line., you'll  look back see  what im saying.

 

 You wont be nickling a diming  any one either when set your prices. Im not trying to  justify  what sony do, they can do much better, trail and error listening to customers  make for great  success not  telling and arrogance & (pride) ego. what sont is  doing  right now with psn   no- one  is doing.  I mean no one is  doing it.

 

 You  can scroll every  buisness 500 in tech and  none of them are doing  what sony is doing for it customers,  they listen and build . I have to give credit where it due.  nintendo not doing  nor is  xbox  nor is  apple.

 

 

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 31 of 63 (961 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 07/14/2003
Offline
9712 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 30, 2012

I have a 4gb and it is starting to become a hindrance with game updates.  I would like to see even lower prices that those "new" prices from sony.  For $60 I'd like a 64gb.

Message 32 of 63 (953 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 01/29/2010
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 30, 2012
I'm still upset I missed that pricing on the 32 GB card. I need a 32 GB badly, but I'm not paying $100 for it.

I'll have to keep waiting for another sale, but seeing how rare these sales are I'm sure it'll be the same next time with 32 GB selling out within seconds.
Message 33 of 63 (929 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
2905 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 30, 2012

JuanMdP wrote:
This is only a temporary sale from what I understand, and unfortunately, it's only for North America. Nothing's been said about dropping prices for Europe. And while I'm glad this is happening, even if it's temporary, part of me is kicking himself in the **bleep** for buying a 32 GB card a few months ago~.


heh i'm kicking myself inthe arse for spending all my x-mas money already...... 60 dollar 32 gig cards... >.<.....

 

Well hopefully they'll be a more normal price like this permantly by the summer when I get my dividend check. Even 60 bucks for $20 worth of memory is a bit ridiculous... but it's not as bad as a HUNDRED.

Message 34 of 63 (917 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
6108 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

[ Edited ]
Dec 30, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

JuanMdP wrote:
This is only a temporary sale from what I understand, and unfortunately, it's only for North America. Nothing's been said about dropping prices for Europe. And while I'm glad this is happening, even if it's temporary, part of me is kicking himself in the **bleep** for buying a 32 GB card a few months ago~.


heh i'm kicking myself inthe arse for spending all my x-mas money already...... 60 dollar 32 gig cards... >.<.....

 

Well hopefully they'll be a more normal price like this permantly by the summer when I get my dividend check. Even 60 bucks for $20 worth of memory is a bit ridiculous... but it's not as bad as a HUNDRED.


I'm kicking myself as well, these prices are much better than the initial ones. Maybe they are getting ready for a 64GB one, who knows.

Hopefully due to not that many going out with the initial price, Sony chose to lower it to see if this sale price does better while still being profitable (we all can agree, the prices could be much lower than the current sale price). Seeing as they sold out the larger cards, maybe they will re-evaluate the pricing of the cards and maybe make this a permanent price from now on until the next sale [for even less]. I think they should honestly just license the cards and have samsung and the rest take a crack at the cards. 

 

By chance DragonIrons, are you a citizen of Alaska? I was stationed there at one time and people there/ my friends talked about the dividend all the time, especially if they had kids. Free money for just living/being a citizen of Alaska seemed intriguing to me but I eventually left to Texas due to my wife. With that dividend, you could buy tons of Vitas and a couple 32's...

Message 35 of 63 (912 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 30, 2012
Well it says out of stock and $99. Sony needs to make a permanent price of $60 for the 32gb cause I keep moving games to my PS3 to put other games on my Vita.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 36 of 63 (906 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/30/2012
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 30, 2012
Here's the facts plain and simple. Sony's customers spend how much on a console that doesn't even have much of a game selection when it comes to retail stores. So many more games are downloadable ranging from psvita, psone, and the minis. Not to mention the retail cartridges have updates required to play. That's countless amounts of storage space needed that I don't have. Ever heard of a rough economy? Yea well if I spend $100 on 32GB of space and then it's costs me $40 to buy a game that takes up 3GB. I've already spent $140, im almost broke, and used a tenth of my storage. Also I spend $50 a year to get playstation plus deals I can't even use because storage issues. Either lower prices or have overloaded download servers from deleting and re downloaded items.
Message 37 of 63 (896 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 08/28/2012
Offline
14 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 31, 2012

mcbuttz78 wrote:

But how is in-house the way to go if it's not working? You're trying to explain it as a smart business decision even though it doesn't seem "nice" but the simple fact is that it's not. How is it a good business move when Sony is the only one forcing people to use proprietary memory  in gaming and they're last in sales? Sure I want them to allow competition to drive prices down by using some kind of third party memory because it's cheaper for me, but THEY should do it because nobody is buying their money pit of a handheld- alexhood

 

  

 Well No one know if it working or not ,  I dont  know the  books of sony finances and spents and etc etc., and we may  never know  them, its not very important btw.. but i know the vita has picked up sales and is selling out just about everywhere. the  memeory card where dropped in priced and sold out  very quickly on a  limted sale.. I think the  marketing /sales team see all and know this.  Things  will get better, for them in this  area.If they feel they can  get  80-150% more revenue with that  a price drop range  they will  do so also if  it cover all  ends of expenses they may have.  They will try to do that  its their job  to find a way to maximize revenue. i cant say  they will or should, i dont the  know the book of sony nor do i have enough  liqour in my cabniets  and time to be  reading finance book of them. Im just fan like  everyone else, i care about there games and entertainment not the finance books.

 

 In house is the  best way to  go in buisness though. Its not forcing anyone to buy  your  brand,   america is free market.  You  can only get a  new ford  from a ford dealer as well as the parts, a new  2013 benz  from a  benz dealer as well as the parts  and they will be  very  expensive!!..  , its not  forcing anyone to buy or nickling and diming folks.. its the best way to control  revenue and protection of the brand and   product to the comsumer.  It may seem that way ( evil and greedy)  but  big  buisness mean big revenue to stay afloat,

 

 Like  said before 90 -100%  of  all buisness dream to  do in house for there brands. Its  the hardest way  but the best way. No one want a  buisness  to be owned by the bank for 80 Yrs. You cant really profit like that or expand.. Your ideas  are not yours  when owned by a  bunch of suits and banks. If  you  ever get into buisness and into  pushing  your own product line., you'll  look back see  what im saying.

 

 You wont be nickling a diming  any one either when set your prices. Im not trying to  justify  what sony do, they can do much better, trail and error listening to customers  make for great  success not  telling and arrogance & (pride) ego. what sont is  doing  right now with psn   no- one  is doing.  I mean no one is  doing it.

 

 You  can scroll every  buisness 500 in tech and  none of them are doing  what sony is doing for it customers,  they listen and build . I have to give credit where it due.  nintendo not doing  nor is  xbox  nor is  apple.

 

 


Jesus, man. That was like 45% gibberish. Proof read for Christ's sake. Use a dictionary or something. The only thing I was really able to gather from this is that you're a Sony fanboy and they can do no wrong in your eyes. I know no other company is doing what they're doing, not Apple nor Microsoft. That's probably why all of those companies are doing so much better than Sony. Apple is the most profitable company in history as of last fall and Microsoft currently has the best selling console of this generation. 

 

 

Message 38 of 63 (881 Views)
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 31, 2012
Sony having a 40% sale on memory cards is probably the price point these cards should have been in the first place, but I think it would be more realistic to expect a 20% reduction in the near term (like you can get on Amazon).

Putting a broader perspective on things, what Sony is charging for these memory cards isn't out of line to what they have charged for their card formats. For example Sony is selling 32GB Memory sticks on Amazon for $80-$90, so actually Sony isn't price gouging on the Vita versions.

The big difference, is that the memory sticks have other manufacturers that can make them for less...
Message 39 of 63 (851 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
6108 posts
 

Re: Sony is listening, Vita Memory Card prices are beginning to drop

Dec 31, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Sony having a 40% sale on memory cards is probably the price point these cards should have been in the first place, but I think it would be more realistic to expect a 20% reduction in the near term (like you can get on Amazon).

Putting a broader perspective on things, what Sony is charging for these memory cards isn't out of line to what they have charged for their card formats. For example Sony is selling 32GB Memory sticks on Amazon for $80-$90, so actually Sony isn't price gouging on the Vita versions.

The big difference, is that the memory sticks have other manufacturers that can make them for less...

I think eventually Sony needs to license them so other manufacturers can produce them for cheaper. I am hopeful that Sony just did this temporary price reduction to see if people would buy them at a little bit lower rate but still be profitable (maybe leading to a future permanent reduction). I still kinda think they are trying to move inventory for Bigger formats Smiley Wink!

Message 40 of 63 (837 Views)
Reply
0 Likes