Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1897 posts

Re: Soul Sacrifice Demo Impressions (Spoilers)

Apr 18, 2013
the only downside i see so far is that you cant talk online, you have to use chat, which can be a real problem. The game is rated M, so if they're worried about cursing, they shouldnt. but i love it. online is fun, but its hard, i cant beat cerberous.

i also hate when you die, 2minutes after we started, and some **bleep** sacrifcies you... like wait till we've been going for a while.
Message 11 of 18 (391 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Soul Sacrifice Demo Impressions (Spoilers)

Apr 18, 2013

I got it downloaded last night, I think its a great vita game, as others have said not really so much like MH. But still good in its own light.

Cant wait to actually get some time to put into playing it. as Ive only gotten to the Jackolantern fight so far.

Deffinately going to have to buy this one.

Message 12 of 18 (389 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Soul Sacrifice Demo Impressions (Demo Spoilers)

Apr 19, 2013

Hey guys,

I’m new to the site and forum. I just finished the demo [defeated all the bosses, reached max level, finished story, etc], and I’d like to offer my impression on the game.

Coming from a background where my 2 younger brothers and I played Monster Hunter since the early PSP days, all the way from playing monster hunter (psp version) to Ragnarok Odyssey together on the vita, here’s what I would tell them (my brothers) to try to convince them why we should take up Soul Sacrifice together based on the demo thus far.

Soul Sacrifice is the magical counterpart of Monster Hunter in regards to combat mechanics. Monster Hunter was very gear-oriented and each piece of equipment was hard to obtain for as you progressed with the game. Monster Hunter was very punishing for maneuvers in battle that weren’t precise and it was very easy for players to die even with the best gear. There was also the issue of USE for each weapon, where the sharpness of a weapon would be dulled out by using it against enemies, a rather fun and realistic part of the fighting mechanic.

Since Soul Sacrifice is more magic based, how does one control the USE factor for them? Well here we have objects that make magic possible (Offerings), which have a limited number of uses. More powerful offerings provide less USEs, while weaker offering spells have more. Whereas dulled blades in Monster Hunter would mean severely diminished damage to the bosses (grinding them to death), Soul Sacrifice makes it so that if any one offering (6 can be equipped at any one time) is abused, they will, with warnings, break. Breaking offerings during battle means that they cannot be used any further, and that the must be “repaired” after the mission ends via a resource system that I will discuss later. Also, Soul Sacrifice lets go of the idea of gear by implementing actual character level progression to increase defense/attack and the game ties this level progression with moral choices we can make. Kind of like Mass Effect, you can be GOOD or EVIL, but in this case also NEUTRAL. Neutral is established when both GOOD and EVIL levels are equal. Why this moral aspect of character progression matters is because there is another customization option where bonus passive attributes can be selected to make you slightly stronger. These SIGILS have bonus effects when their special conditions are met (EVIL, GOOD, NEUTRAL). Cool. And of course, as magicians, don’t expect to equip badass looking armor, but rather more of cloths that serve only a cosmetic purpose.

Is Soul Sacrifice as punishing as Monster Hunter in terms of battle and technical skills? This demo at the end does give us a boss that is pretty difficult to kill but its rating is only at 5/10. So it’s hard to gauge how much more punishing/forgiving the battle mechanics will be until the full game is released, imo. However, it is clear that the mission is over only when all players are dead. In Soul Sacrifice, we can actually save (revive) our allies (players or AI) or sacrifice them for big damage against enemies. In this sense, the aspect of DEATH in Soul Sacrifice offers more strategy and is definitely more forgiving than the likes of Monster Hunter and Ragnarok, something I welcome – After so many years of Monster Hunting, I want something a bit less hardcore. Besides, I dislike getting frustrated at myself or my brothers because of a mistake or a death that occurred out of pure misfortune. My girlfriend and I can play this game together and I can be her knight in shining armor. Y.E.S.

What about team play? This is why my brothers and I played Monster Hunter so much. 1 guy would go long rage support to set traps/bombs/paintball. The other would go heavy weapons/damage dealer. The other would be the tank. How are all these enjoyable elements compared to Soul Sacrifice?

There are no barrel bombs, or traps to stop the big monsters in Soul Sacrifice. Initially this is sad, but let’s remember the premise of Soul Sacrifice -  We are not fighting just some stupid animals/dinosaurs. For spoiler reasons I cannot say what we are fighting exactly… but  it’s clear that even if we had some kind of Monster Hunter gear to hunt down these….things….  it would not be in the nature of the bosses to fall for the traps. Since there is a greater emphasis on the path of the Sorcerer (YOU) and how the story works out, this is a game that can be seriously enjoyed alone, whereas Ragnarok Odyssey and Monster Hunter always begged to be played with others (otherwise it’d be depressing).

Speaking of multiplayer, there is online play! In contrast to Monster Hunter, which only supported Ad-HOC, Soul Sacrifice offers Smooooooth 4 player online play (frame rates reduced for obvious reasons, but I experienced NO lag or Disconnects). This is in contrast to Ragnarok Odyssey where online play between my brothers and girlfriend was unstable, and monster hunter (which could only be played locally).

One thing that doesn’t seem to be present in Soul Sacrifice when compared to Monster Hunter and R.O. is the exploration factor. There are no multiple maps that you can move across to get to point A or B. If you recall Monster Hunter, Soul Sacrifice feels like a really beautiful arena that is more or less circular. This might be a turn off to a lot of players who actually liked running around maps. However, after some thinking, I’ve decided that I appreciate this aspect of Soul Sacrifice. Aside from the obvious (that this is supposed to be a unique game of its own), the Demo makes us relive some of the epic battles and key fights that changed the course of history. In other words, it leaves exploration and mind numbingly running around to the likes of Ragnarok Odyssey and Monster Hunter, and it gives us the meat of the experience, which are essentially the boss fights. I for one do not mind being spared 5—15 minutes of chasing bosses across maps, or starting at point A and going to point B to fight the boss.

Artwork? Fun level? Music? Story quality? That’s all for you to decide whether or not you like it by playing the demo. I went into this experience excited, then became skeptical, but ultimately came out of it all feeling pretty confident that my brothers and I could play this game and really have some fun. Kind of like the merging of the goofy/clumsy Ragnarok Odyssey style meets Monster Hunter action, spiced up with lots of blood and Bayonetta/DMC/Parasite Eve ugliness, mixed in with Mass Effect choices as a means of character development.

Message 13 of 18 (348 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12330 posts

Apr 19, 2013

I have not reached the multiplayer portion yet so I can't speak too much but:

1. Dying seems a bit easy. Maybe it's because I'm no MH vet, but I seem to be able to die quite fast (on bosses at least). And the heal you get is also garbage.

2. The game seems more story-centric than quest-centric. Which means I will probably be less inclined to go back and play previous quests, since the benefits of each level seem lower than other similar games

3. I probably have to form a party beforehand, because I have a feeling if I play with randoms and happen to die, they'll just sacrifice me, cutting me out of the better rewards.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 18 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2510 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Having spent more time with the game there are some extra stuff I'd like to add:

On the technical aspect, the graphics are impressive in somethings and almost average on others. The textures are weird, almost pixelated which it still rubs me off the wrong way. Even the texture for the book looks like it's on the pixelated side of things. On the other hand, all the landscapes the demo provide are excellent; each and every one of them has a distinctive personality to it that is further strengthened by the lore surrounding them. The models are exquisite and unlike other games of similar mechanics (Diablo, PSO, GEB) they are all extremely different from each other. The bosses are as grotesque as they should be and the cannon fodder enemies have a lot of detail. The music is by leaps and bounds my favorite in the entire genre; even above GEB and Diablo. It's amazing just how good and enrapturing it is considering this is a game about slaughtering stuff~.

As glaciusx25 pointed out, dying does seem easier than in other games. Boosting your spells doesn't enhance their effect / power but rather the amount of uses which does leave you with marginal heals for this demo (unless I missed on better options). Dodging is something I still haven't gotten used to and I've had a lot of trouble against monsters that chase you relentlessly like Harpy and Cerberus. It's even clunkier than in MH which is a lot to say, the lack of a guard button bothers me even more but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it~.

As for the mechanics of its Monster Hunting roots; I'd like to revisit my earlier assessment. The game does encourage farming so that you can get new spells to fuse / enhance. Plus I imagine there'll be a lot of farming involved to get sigils. The problem is, we are shallow by nature. We farm in games like Diablo, MH, Lord of Arcana not only for better gear but because there are looks involved. What we farm for isn't just something stat based but also look based. RO, GEB, PSO don't have visible gear but even the weapons used have different looks; in SS there's neither. Again, I do know from reading that your sacrifice / salvation choices eventually impact the looks. But farming just for spells is not perhaps the best incentive to get people to want to invest 100+ ours on a game. Speaking of looks, I found the customization options to be extremely limited far as looks go.

Oh and the game is both story / quest centric. There's a plot (and a good one at that), which is a nice change of pace, but you can farm for spells / essences to your heart's content. It's just that I don't know how long will that itch be there when there are no aesthetic changes involved~.

All in all, I'm going to get this game. I just don't think it'll fill my current MH void~.
Message 15 of 18 (233 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12330 posts

Apr 21, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
Having spent more time with the game there are some extra stuff I'd like to add:

On the technical aspect, the graphics are impressive in somethings and almost average on others. The textures are weird, almost pixelated which it still rubs me off the wrong way. Even the texture for the book looks like it's on the pixelated side of things. On the other hand, all the landscapes the demo provide are excellent; each and every one of them has a distinctive personality to it that is further strengthened by the lore surrounding them. The models are exquisite and unlike other games of similar mechanics (Diablo, PSO, GEB) they are all extremely different from each other. The bosses are as grotesque as they should be and the cannon fodder enemies have a lot of detail. The music is by leaps and bounds my favorite in the entire genre; even above GEB and Diablo. It's amazing just how good and enrapturing it is considering this is a game about slaughtering stuff~.

As glaciusx25 pointed out, dying does seem easier than in other games. Boosting your spells doesn't enhance their effect / power but rather the amount of uses which does leave you with marginal heals for this demo (unless I missed on better options). Dodging is something I still haven't gotten used to and I've had a lot of trouble against monsters that chase you relentlessly like Harpy and Cerberus. It's even clunkier than in MH which is a lot to say, the lack of a guard button bothers me even more but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it~.

As for the mechanics of its Monster Hunting roots; I'd like to revisit my earlier assessment. The game does encourage farming so that you can get new spells to fuse / enhance. Plus I imagine there'll be a lot of farming involved to get sigils. The problem is, we are shallow by nature. We farm in games like Diablo, MH, Lord of Arcana not only for better gear but because there are looks involved. What we farm for isn't just something stat based but also look based. RO, GEB, PSO don't have visible gear but even the weapons used have different looks; in SS there's neither. Again, I do know from reading that your sacrifice / salvation choices eventually impact the looks. But farming just for spells is not perhaps the best incentive to get people to want to invest 100+ ours on a game. Speaking of looks, I found the customization options to be extremely limited far as looks go.

Oh and the game is both story / quest centric. There's a plot (and a good one at that), which is a nice change of pace, but you can farm for spells / essences to your heart's content. It's just that I don't know how long will that itch be there when there are no aesthetic changes involved~.

All in all, I'm going to get this game. I just don't think it'll fill my current MH void~.

I find that the backgrounds are all blandish. At least in terms of textures and colors.

As for your look changing based on sacrifice/salvation, the only thing I think that changes is your arm color (either white or black).

I hope that the fusing of stuff helps make stronger stuff, not just more uses. Since, it'd be more efficient that way.

I just don't think I'll have the inspiration to play the game after I beat the story.

Message 16 of 18 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2510 posts

Apr 21, 2013
No, the looks actually do change further on. Here's the article covering that: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/26/mean-wizards-unlock-chaos-mode-in-soul-sacrifice-merciful-wizar... ~.
Message 17 of 18 (229 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12330 posts

Apr 21, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
No, the looks actually do change further on. Here's the article covering that: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/26/mean-wizards-unlock-chaos-mode-in-soul-sacrifice-merciful-wizar... ~.

Well from the sound of it, it sounds as if this is just a temporary transformation that you can activate or something (like, Limit Breaks from FFVII or Overdrives from FFX)

I don't think it's a permanent transformation effect.

Message 18 of 18 (226 Views)
0 Likes