Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Re: Starhawk Wednesday Weekly Community Event!

Dec 28, 2012
Oh...you're talking about the loadout, not the mode. That's a different thing entirely; I can't see the loadout being used on anything BUT the tiny maps, just because it will take absolutely forever to cross the map (which means less action and just plain that nothing happens in the game). The only ones that its feasible are Orbital and Outlands...and they're pushing it. All the other maps are just too big to have no vehicles.
Please use plain text.
Message 2601 of 7,233 (335 Views)
MVP Support
8124 posts

Dec 28, 2012

You're probably right about bigger maps on CTF and possibly Zones, but Arena TDM would work on at least some of the medium maps, especially with effective use of the Pod Launcher, which almost makes the small maps too small.

Speaking of the Pod Launcher...  I'm still waiting to see a team set up 10-12 of them and create a pod storm with them...

Please use plain text.
Message 2602 of 7,233 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 28, 2012
Apogee is fun for trooper or arena loadout. Both are quite similar and throwing a different loadout every 3 rounds and a larger map another 3 rounds make for some interesting mixups as well. Nobody would be expecting it and you can toss those in with shorter rounds. Since my internet is down again, I'll be switching ISPs and hopefully I'll have a better connection to host my short rounds server as well.

If i get 1.5 mbps now, what will 10 mbps do for my house? Will 2 devices be able to run netflix while I run a server?

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 2603 of 7,233 (323 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Dec 28, 2012
No. You really can't run a server well even if you had all 10mbps to yourself. Unless you're hosting only local people...
Please use plain text.
Message 2604 of 7,233 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks. was curious.

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 2605 of 7,233 (317 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8124 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Samokoske wrote:
Apogee is fun for trooper or arena loadout. Both are quite similar and throwing a different loadout every 3 rounds and a larger map another 3 rounds make for some interesting mixups as well. Nobody would be expecting it and you can toss those in with shorter rounds. Since my internet is down again, I'll be switching ISPs and hopefully I'll have a better connection to host my short rounds server as well.

If i get 1.5 mbps now, what will 10 mbps do for my house? Will 2 devices be able to run netflix while I run a server?

Apogee is not compatible with the Arena Loadout.

As for mixing up some other modes/loadouts in...  I'll have to consider it.  I suppose it's not actually crucial to have all map/mode variations in a single session...  but Arena Loadout only is quite limited as it is.

As for my setup, I have 18mbps down/1.5mbps up (AT&T Uverse) and it worked fine with the 8-9 players that were on my server the other night, at least on my end (obviously). Other players didn't seem to be having any issues, at least.

Please use plain text.
Message 2606 of 7,233 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 28, 2012
At 1.5 DL, it was pretty steady around 6-8 on the servers I ran so far. But tuat was pushing it to its limits.

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 2607 of 7,233 (304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Dec 28, 2012
I would think ~20mbps would be good for at least a 12-person server, assuming no international or terribad internet people in the room. Probably could get to 16 people on smaller maps with it too. But again...the more local people connected to you, the better; its all about Ping.
Please use plain text.
Message 2608 of 7,233 (299 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48582 posts

Dec 28, 2012

DarthDanMan wrote:
Just wondering, but did anyone hear me using my mic yesterday? After watching the Urgent Fury video I don't think I was.

I don't think I heard you at all :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 2609 of 7,233 (285 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48582 posts

Dec 28, 2012

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:
It really depends on what time you're putting the server up and the maps. You could just be on at a bad time for DM; if that's the case, probably isn't much you can do. And make sure you aren't doing a huge-kill server either; 50 is perfect, IMO, and 75 isn't bad either. I would start off with 25 for a few rounds and then do 50 so you have a chance to get enough people in.

Narrows, Junction, Basin, and Outlands are probably the most popular. At the very least I love Narrows and Junction, and they tend to have the best action (other maps tend to spread everyone out more; Junction and Narrows have areas where everyone just loves to spawn, so action is always going strong)

Also, you may just want to do something else with the DM; add another mode in every so often. A DM/Assault/Zones server will get hits just because there aren't many and when a good one goes up, it fills quick.

As a person who has a lot of experience hosting servers both in SH and WH I will have to say this is solid advice.  

Please use plain text.
Message 2610 of 7,233 (537 Views)
0 Likes