Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 06 2014
By: PapaWarlock PlayStation MVP 11171 posts

State of the Vita Address

[ Edited ]
52 replies 672 views Edited Feb 10, 2014

The Playstation Vita is fast approaching it's second birthday in the United States. What once was a birght and promising future, lately seems dull and tarnished. There is so much potential in the system that it truly is a shame that it is failing. Not just in the United States but worldwide. What follows are some problems facing the Vita and what solutions I think could help the Vita. Much like the President addresses the nation to outline problems we face and what he'd like to see happen, I think we, as consumers and gamers, should address Sony with our concerns and solutions.

The PlayStation Vita is fast approaching its second birthday in the United States. What once was a bright and promising future lately seems dull and tarnished. There is so much potential in the system that it truly is a shame that it is performing below expectations. Not just in the United States but worldwide. What follows are some problems facing the Vita and what solutions I think could help the Vita. Much like the President addresses the United States to outline problems we face and what he'd like to see happen, I think we, as consumers and gamers, should address Sony with our concerns and solutions.

I tend to write long posts, so for those of you who do not like to read "walls of text" this is the condensed version of my post. The PS Vita isn't performing as expected. I love my PS Vita. I wish Sony would advertise it better. Lower the price of memory cards. Add more apps like VUDU and Pandora. Give us new installments of existing franchises like God of War and inFamous as well as help bring over more JRPGs. 

I do have some questions for everyone else. Feel free to respond to these questions or add your own opinions to this one. Perhaps we can get Sony to take some of these suggestions to heart.

• Do you feel like the Vita is doing well?
  • What do you think the Vita needs to help it sell better?
  • What are the biggest issues you have with the Vita?

This post is not being written to bash the Vita, but instead to list a few drawbacks or issues and to offer possible solutions. I have owned the PS Vita since the US launch on February 22, 2012. I paid $299.99 for the 3G bundle system (4 GB memory stick, free month of 3G and free PSN game) and have not regretted the purchase one day yet. But enjoying your system doesn't mean you can't or won't understand when it is struggling. For the record I have both the PlayStation Vita and the Nintendo 3DS. I play both of them. Usually when one system begins to lack in games that I am interested in, the other system has a few for me to enjoy. I am primarily a Role Playing Game (RPG) gamer. I enjoy both Western and Japanese RPGs. I also like platformers and 3rd person shooters like Uncharted, God of War and Mario.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding Sony when it comes to the PlayStation Vita. When it first launched I was under the impression that it was aimed at the "core" gamer. The type of gamer who likes to take a portable system on the go and enjoys playing games of all kinds wherever he is, whether she's at home or he's on the go. Yet now it seems like the Vita is being "advertised" as an accessory to the PS4. An expensive accessory at that. Which is it Sony? Is it an accessory or a full gaming system? Unfortunately even many core gamers are wondering about the viability of the PS Vita. Even those of us who enjoy our Vitas are getting dismayed by the State of the Vita.

If the Vita is to be a multi-media device, then work on the flaws such as the woefully inadequate browser. Internet Explorer would be an improvement over what is there. Work with companies such as VUDU and Pandora to bring those applications to the Vita. Right now there are so few applications on the Vita that I wonder why they're even there. How about an e-reader? I'd love to have a Kindle app on my Vita. What about digital copies of movies? Work with the movie industry to bring digital copy to the PS Vita. As it stands right now, not even Sony Pictures offers Vita capable digital copy for its movies. Come on Sony! Your own divisions aren't working together, so why would anyone else work with you?

Advertising. Or should I say "Lack therefore of"? (as in where is it?) Rare is the system that sells itself. In today's multi-media, multi-functioning world you need to be able to stand out from the general competition. Advertising does that. I don't know if you pay attention to your non-gaming friends or the non-gaming parents of gaming kids out there, but far too often I have seen people who think that there is no difference between the Nintendo 3DS and the PlayStation Vita, or even that the PlayStation Vita exists. I've even seen a few comments along the lines of "Isn't the PS Vita just another version of the PS3?" Outside of the occasional game ad for a PS Vita game, I see no advertising anywhere for the PS Vita itself. It’s hard to sell products that people easily confuse for other systems. Microsoft and Nintendo both advertise quite well. I see PS4 commercials now, but none for the Vita.

Memory is the next issue. I am a full time student at Norfolk State University. I also work full time. I am the father of one teenager and am taking care of a niece as well. I make a decent living but at the same time it is hard for me to justify spending $100 or more on a decent sized memory card. I currently have a 16 GB memory card (originally priced at $59.99). I am looking at buying either a 32g or 64g memory card. The 32g is running around the $90 range and the 64g is running around $120. (You can get a bit cheaper on both if you shop around, but I'm using baseline prices for the conversation.) With the value of the PlayStation Plus subscription, I've picked up a number of games for free like Soul Sacrifice, Disgaea 3 and games at a good discount such as Rainbow Moon.

A 16 GB card just isn't enough anymore unless I want to do a lot of deleting and re-downloading of games. It’s hard to justify spending $100 on another memory card for the Vita. I can pick up a 64 GB micro SD card for my Nook for less than $50. I can afford it, but is it worth it? I could buy another 16g and just swap out cards, but I don't really want a lot of memory cards. For many younger gamers, and even gamers of my age, $100 is a lot of money to spend on memory. I know Sony is worried about hackers, but isn't it about time to open the market up to 3rd party groups and work towards making memory more affordable? The 4 GB that comes with some Vita bundles is today's equivalent of the 128MB PSP memory card when the PSP first came out. 

Software. This is another big issue for many people. The Vita has some great games available for it. Games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Killzone: Mercenaries and Ys: Memories of Celcetta. For most of us, we tend to prefer one or two game genres. It doesn't matter if there are 40 quality games out there across several genres if only 2 of them interest you. There are hundreds of titles available for the PS Vita, but the bulk of the library seems to consist of either ports, PSP or PSOne games instead of new installments of existing franchises or new IPs. With the very sluggish sales of the PlayStation Vita few companies seem interested in developing for it. Even Sony seems to be a bit shy right now with their own system.

Sony, you're sitting on many nearly dead franchises that would be perfect for the Vita. Franchises like Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud, SOCOM, and many others. How about new installments of great franchises that still have stories to tell like inFamous? The occasional port is great, but do we need all 5 God of War games on the PS Vita? Nintendo has 2 franchises that are system sellers: Mario and Zelda. Sony has many great franchises but unfortunately none are major system sellers.

The Vita is a great system, but it isn't supported very well. Sony please heed your consumers and your fan base. We're willing to overlook a few flaws, but even the most steadfast will waver with enough uncertainty. Help us help you.

Sincerely,

Gamers across the world.

Message 1 of 53 (672 Views)
PlayStation MVP
423 posts

Re: State of the Vita Address

Feb 6, 2014

Like it.

I'm hoping with the encouraging success of the PS4, along with selling off the PC business and spinning off the TV biz, when they decide to launch the Vita Slim here, it will be accompanied with a large marketing push, as many of us want to see.

Really, I think that's the biggest issue right now. The software library is pretty solid, but no one knows about it and the people who do already have Vita's.

So either go make some more high profile games, or make the games you do have already high profile through advertising.

Message 2 of 53 (657 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Feb 6, 2014

The problem I have with the Vita is that it doesn't have blockbuster games like Final Fantasy and NBA 2K14. I like rpg's like the next guy, but they need to diversify their portfolio of games.

That's just about it.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 3 of 53 (652 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8506 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2014

The Vita is doing better that it did last year, but it's still not a robust platform.

I agree with your comments, it needs more games in different genres. Persona 4 is an amazing games, and very close to the best selling game for the platform. Be it ports, or new games, it needs games that play to it's strength. PS2 style games. If they looked back at the PS2 library and try and find what made it special, I think they could do it again with the Vita.

That back trackpad has to go. I can't hold the Vita in a comfortable manner on Tearaway, and the back controls with my playing style are unresponsive. It makes me hate the game and not want to play, but yet, the game itself is fantastic. So I end up only play it once a week or longer.

Message 4 of 53 (642 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1155 posts

Feb 6, 2014
Im speechless, bro. This thread takes everything I think of the Vita and sums it up. I do agree with all of your points. What I think should happen is:

(i) The Vita needs to be advertised better. Even one commercial would help a lot. (ii) More "big" titles. The Vita needs to see PS4 games natively instead of just remote playable. It also needs its own version of current or past franchises such as Ratchet and Clank, SOCOM, GTA, and even Hitman. Not some crummy knock off like R&C: FFA but games with full fledged stories and memorable moments. (iii) More applications that appeal to everyone such as Pandora, VUDU, Hulu, and an e-reader.

This console (it is a console, right Sony?) needs to appeal to as many people as possible and needs to be known to as many as possible. Though without the push of the gaming community I dont think it will go far. Like PapaWarlock said, help us help you.

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Message 5 of 53 (639 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
9234 posts

Feb 6, 2014

I think it's doing as well as it can be, considering the circumstances it is in.

PS2 games need to come out with it, along with bringing those PS1 games that are only available through the PS3 then onto the Vita, onto the Vita period. People shouldn't have to get a PS3 just to access those games. Not everyone wants to get a PS3 and shouldn't be forced to put the money out there to get one just for those games.

Memory card prices. Like you said, they're WAY overpriced. I sent in a comment about that once, mentioning that the prices need to be brought down to a SANE level. Having the 32gb card at such a high price --> $80 (approx.), is only going to drive people away from a good system. I ended up going with a 16gb card due to it. Am planning on getting a 32gb card once it's on sale again, but not when it's overpriced as it is now. Most people can't afford to throw away $80 here and $80 there just for memory cards, if they want enough space.

Another example would be SD cards. I just got two of them for around $14 a piece + tax. They were new ones for my 3ds, and all I had to do was format them before use. And even the ones that Nintendo sells for it aren't that bad price wise. $8 or $9 for an 8gb one, $13 for a 16gb one. And as for 32gb ones, I've seen them for $33, and down to $25. There's no excuse, other than wanting to gauge the customer, to not bring down the prices in order to be competitive against Nintendo and the 3ds.  It would at least be a shot in the arm, imo, for the Vita. And combine that with more games, then maybe they'd have a chance.

Message 6 of 53 (630 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Feb 6, 2014

PS Now wiil probably be good for the PS vita since you can play PS1. PS2 and PS3 games on it through PS Now

Message 7 of 53 (626 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4501 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2014

The PS vita is doing better than last year. It has improved a lot from when it first launched and it'll continue to sell a lot more, especially with its library of games, PS4 bundles,PS Now, and Remote Play option. Right now, all the Vita needs is a little more third party support, then maybe it would be in some competition with the 3DS.

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 8 of 53 (617 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Feb 6, 2014

what i hate about VITA is that i lose my saved games if i delete a digital copy of a game , PS1 and PSP saves remain tough

this needs to be fixed

and it needs more DEMOS and some PS3 ports 'any horror game will do , Dead Space i want and RE5 ) and more discounts for games

games are too expensive for a handheld

Message 9 of 53 (606 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4224 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2014

@PapaWarlock 

Great read.

I have only been the owner of a PSV since last May. I love my PSV too. Even if I am not gaming on it, I use my PSV every day as an alarm clock (Wake-Up Club) and to check my friends list / messages. I even use the PS4 remote play. Overall, it's a great companion for the PS4, like I thought it would be --- but not everyone owns a PS4. So, as a stand-alone handheld device, I can see why it may be struggling or not be so appealing to those who don't own one.

Personally, I'd like to see some more horror titles come out for it, either indie or AAA.

I can only imagine what devs could do with a horror title if they utilized the touch, tilt, and camera of the PSV.

As for memory, a price drop would be welcomed for those who buy nothing but digital games. I prefer physical over digital, but I can only imagine how quick gamers fill up their memory, if they're downloading games that are 1-2GB each.

I think Sony has done good with the price drop on the PSV (and the memory.)

But, even cheaper memory and a richer line-up of games could help seal the deal for newcomers.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 10 of 53 (589 Views)