Jul 08 2013
By: Kron_88 First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

Stolen PS3 -- Canada

23 replies 440 views Edited Jul 8, 2013

Hello everyone. My PS3 was stolen a couple of years back, and I was unable to locate it in any of the local pawn shops at the time, and I got absolutely no help from the police on the matter, so I pretty much "sucked it up" and forgot about it. Anyways, today I finish work and get on the computer and see I have a new e-mail from PSN saying that "funds have been added to my wallet" via pre-paid card, and "Thank you for your purchase" for a CoD2 add-on pack or something.

So this tells me not only that the moron is still using my account (too lazy top start  his own trophy collection I guess) and now has finally gotten sick of all the games I bought for it off the PSN, and has been forced to buy something himself for a change instead of stealing other peoples' stuff.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done now. I know it's been a couple of years, but the fact that it's my account being used to purchase things means that I can prove that it is not me who is in possession of the system, nor am I the one making purchases with it. Is this something I can go on for tracking the system down finally..?

Message 1 of 24 (440 Views)
Fender Bender
3642 posts

Re: Stolen PS3 -- Canada

Jul 8, 2013

Call Sony ans let them know your system was stolen. get a police report and get a copy of it to them. they may be abe to trace the IP...

Message 2 of 24 (426 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Jul 8, 2013
You never deactivated your PS3 and changed your password? Call Sony and talk to them.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 3 of 24 (424 Views)
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Why didn't you change your password? And the guy using it is probably not the guy who stole it. Most stolen goods are sold within 24 hours.

Message 4 of 24 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11708 posts

Jul 8, 2013
Yea but it is still illegal to have stolen property.. As for the op.. Call Sony, they may be able to remedy the situation now that the ps3 seems to be in use by someone
>

Message 5 of 24 (403 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Amazing support here. Smiley Happy

No, I was hoping that when they plugged it in it would automatically log them in, and I would somehow be able to get that tracked.. You're right though, I guess that would have been a smart idea. After it was stolen I was so mad that I had to just move on, and I just haven't purchased a new one since.

I will call Sony and see what can be done.. This is what I was thinking would be the best course of action before posting, but I figured I'd quickly ask anyways. Thanks again guys.

Message 6 of 24 (392 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
2396 posts

Jul 8, 2013
I had my PS3 stolen in August and this is what I was told by a CS rep: "We do not have the technology to track, trace or block the IP address of your PS3." The ONLY thing I/you could do is change your password and deactivate the console/s attached to your account.
PS Customer Support: 1-800-345-7669
Live Chat
Chat is available:
Monday - Saturday, 6AM - 10PM, PST
Sunday, 8AM - 8PM, PST

Message 7 of 24 (379 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

Teus wrote:
Yea but it is still illegal to have stolen property.. As for the op.. Call Sony, they may be able to remedy the situation now that the ps3 seems to be in use by someone

Illeagal or not, the fact remains that the guy who is using it is most likely isn't the guy who stole it. Come on now. How many people have "gotten a deal from a guy I know"? The guy who bought it probably said "I scored a cheap PS3!! What do you mean stolen?".  And do you really think posession of stolen property and fencing stolen goods are going to stop the criminally inclined?

Sony isn't the CIA, FBI, KGB, RCMP, or her Majesty's Secret Service. It's not their job to enforce the law, or to track your stuff. All you can really do is file a police report, make a claim to your insurance company, and change your password.

Message 8 of 24 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Lies, theres no crime in canada.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 9 of 24 (364 Views)
Sackboy
464 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

Teus wrote:

True it is illegal to buy stolen goods. But that is the problem with pawn shops. Often the crime is not traced or reported and the pawn shop will not have known they have stolen property. Which brings us to a pawn shop customer. Would he still be doing something illegal if neither he nor the pawn shop owner know it's stolen?

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 10 of 24 (336 Views)
0 Likes