Welcoming Committee
12993 posts

Re: Stopping Obsession of Trophies

Jul 2, 2013

psxsage wrote:

15 isn't what i'd call a trophy **bleep** by any stretch even i'm at 12 and i'm exceptionally casual.  When you see people that are 22 and higher...THAT'S obsession.  

I'm not obsessed :smileysad: I just enjoyed a lot of games!

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 57 (274 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
999 posts

Jul 2, 2013

What i do is take my time and finish the game..
And then i come back to it to take down the trophies.

photo 4fc81dda-42ac-43fc-8fa0-797ea986ead1_zpsd00221f5.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 57 (259 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2314 posts

Jul 2, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Ok, if you look at my signature, I'm a bit of a trophy nut. Is that ok? 

I don't really know. I remember how I used to play with my PS One and PS2 games for fun. And when I discovered trophies, I developed an obession of them. Is there any cure for this? 

There's an option to turn off trophy notifications on the PS3 now. Maybe that will help your withdrawl.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
900+ followers | 100+ subscribers
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 57 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Gold Trophy Hunter
358 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Trophy Obsession!? Look at my card and tell me about it.

Removing notifications wont help in withdrawal. You will then have

A huge list of 0%'s that will clutter your trophy collection. Now if

They got rid of the trophy collection icon and section then thats when

You will be free!

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 57 (246 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10744 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Avoiding the habit of taking an interest in what trophies are in each game and finding out ways to 100% the game is the best way to play through a game without really calling yourself a trophy hunter. Sure trophies will come up every once in awhile, but you'll definitely miss out on having an idea as to what the trophy checklist tells you to do throughout the game. If you're not following the trophy orders any longer you're just playing the game as you would anyway, and that is the best way to go about playing some would say.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 57 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
9498 posts

Jul 2, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Avoiding the habit of taking an interest in what trophies are in each game and finding out ways to 100% the game is the best way to play through a game without really calling yourself a trophy hunter. Sure trophies will come up every once in awhile, but you'll definitely miss out on having an idea as to what the trophy checklist tells you to do throughout the game. If you're not following the trophy orders any longer you're just playing the game as you would anyway, and that is the best way to go about playing some would say.

That is.... so true. Heck, I even check on the trophies site on every game I'm interested in. *sighs* 

ossie castro5signature
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 57 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6952 posts

Jul 2, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Trophies for me are a sign of how much I enjoyed a game. If I enjoy it I'll platinum it, If I don't enjoy it, I wont waste my time.

Yes I did really enjoy Terminator Salvation....

^this^ im like that too, if i really like a game then i'd go for platinum but if i dont then i wont waste my time.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 57 (240 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10911 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Ok, if you look at my signature, I'm a bit of a trophy nut. Is that ok? 

I don't really know. I remember how I used to play with my PS One and PS2 games for fun. And when I discovered trophies, I developed an obession of them. Is there any cure for this? 

If you were a “trophy nut” then would you really be looking for a cure? I can give you some tips but you should keep in mind that there are no guaranteed solutions. Different individuals might take different approaches. You just need to figure out what works for you. You do not need to stop playing video games in order to stop hunting for trophies (unless you feel this is the only way that you can overcome your trophy obsession).

• Turn trophy notifications off. The recent firmware update makes this possible.
  • Select a video game on your profile with 100% trophy completion and replay it.
  • Don’t hunt for trophies or don’t go out of your way to add trophies to your profile.
  • Create a new PlayStation Network ID and don’t use it while hunting for trophies.
  • Avoid looking at the trophy lists for the video games that you are playing through.
  • Remove your trophy card from your forum signature and don’t look at it very often.

Creating a new PlayStation Network ID can be an extreme approach but it is an option that you have. The goal isn’t to stop acquiring trophies. You will acquire trophies as you play through video games. The goal is to lessen the impact that trophies have on your experiences as a gamer.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 57 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3229 posts

Jul 2, 2013
At first I was really digging achievements (sorry, coming from xblock camp) then realized they weren't adding any kind of support in the form of compition, fan loyalty, or even gifts for reaching a certain amount.
I became quickly disenchanted with them at all.... they literally just turned my profile into a 60mb chunk of useless "cred" that at best, took two hours to download my profile to another xblock.... AND my xblock takes 4-5 minutes just to load up anymore.

Makes me agro anytime I get a message getting "props" on my achievements, kids eat that kind of thing up though.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 57 (221 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jul 2, 2013
When trophies first came around I thought it kinda cool, but after about a week they got annoying and ever since then I've been asking to be able to disable the notifications. Now, years later, I finally disabled the notifications and my experience has increased a lot now that the notifications aren't popping up on my screen and making that little ding that completely drew me out of my game.
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 57 (203 Views)
0 Likes