Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 20 2011
By: Robbery525 First Son 1 posts

Suggestion: Ability to change Sub-Account to Master Account

19 replies 7357 views Edited Jun 20, 2011

when i first created a PSN id, it was on my dad's PS3, just before my 18th birthday. neither of us had set up an account before, so when it said "creating master account" of that ps3 he wanted it obviously, because i was to get a ps3 on my birthday roughly a week later. But i set up an account anyway, (unknowingly) forever making me a sub-account of his.

I am aware that i can just create a new account and have it be a master account, but that is not what i want. I feel that once a person has exceeded their 18th birthday, they should have the choice to become a master account, thus receiving full privileges (like adding money to a psn wallet for the PSstore).  I called a customer rep to find out if the option was available and sadly, it was not.

If need be, the master account may or may not be required to approve this request (just putting it out there as an idea).

I am sure there are many people, like me, who have created sub-accounts, played many games and earned many trophies and save-games (some of which cannot be transferred) who wish they could have that account be a full-fledged master account. Most of them probably just created a new account because this option was not available, which clogs up the network and becomes somewhat of a hassle if the players want to play a game. I tried playing a game online and was told i couldnt because i was a sub-account, even though all my permissions were cleared so that i *should* be able to play games.

So feel free to add onto this suggestion, I would love if it got popular enough to make it considered by Sony.

Message 1 of 20 (7,357 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: Suggestion: Ability to change Sub-Account to Master Account

Jun 28, 2011

I never knew that was a problem before, but that's really stupid, Sony should fix it.

Message 2 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Jun 28, 2011
Message 3 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 16, 2011

yeah sony update this i have a sub account 1 turn 18 1 day ago so i want to change my account 2 a master account .... i hope they do this soon cuz sub accounts sucks u cant download few things or buy.

Message 4 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
719 posts

Nov 18, 2011

It's the PS3's 5th year anniversary and there is still no solution for subaccounts to be changed into masteraccounts. Sony makes me cry.

. . .

Current Game: LBP Vita Beta, MGS HD
. . .
Message 5 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 14, 2011

i have the same problem i can post stuff to face book because i made my account on my friends ps3 over a year ago and now i have my own and it wont let me do stuff i want to do makes me mad they need to fix this!!!!!!

Message 6 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6210 posts

Dec 14, 2011

They should allow that change. They should also allow name changes and account mergers.

Message 7 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 24, 2012

I have the exact same issue. Sub account on a friends PS3, I now have my own PS3 and had to create a new account to be able to purchase things online. I am now mad at my friend for creating a "SUB"-account for me. Like I was his ... child! 35 YO here and I have to ask my 35 YO friend to purchase things?

Wake up Sony!!!

Message 8 of 20 (7,357 Views)
MVP Support
17362 posts

Jan 24, 2012

Gaunthor wrote:

I have the exact same issue. Sub account on a friends PS3, I now have my own PS3 and had to create a new account to be able to purchase things online. I am now mad at my friend for creating a "SUB"-account for me. Like I was his ... child! 35 YO here and I have to ask my 35 YO friend to purchase things?

Wake up Sony!!!

Really? Wake up Sony? Wow!!! This sounds like it's entirely your fault. I think you need the wake up call. You don't have to ask your friend to buy anything. You make a new account and buy things for yourself like an..........adult. Act your age.

Message 9 of 20 (7,357 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 2, 2012

I have the same problem here. I was a minor when my account was created. Now am I going to have to create a new account and loose everything just so I can purchase my own online items on my own PS3? That is absolutly ridiculous when considering sony's vast capability to fix something like this.

The master account should have the ability to grant a sub account "freedom", if you will. The sub account should upgrade automatically or at least be able to upgrade from sub account status when the minor becomes an adult. If that is too much to ask, then we, as users, should be able to import all of our earings and past purchases into a new MASTER account.

Message 10 of 20 (7,357 Views)