Jan 11 2013
By: bren92 Wastelander 921 posts

Super Slim Help

[ Edited ]
4 replies 114 views Edited Jan 11, 2013

I have been a PS3 owner since the 80GB Phat. I love my phat and it still works great, but it is getting old and I wanted something that is easier to travel with so I picked up one of the new "super slim" PS3's. Up until the past couple of days it has been very quite with the exception of the BD drive which really did not bother me at all. However the fan recently started to get ridiculously loud after only 15 minutes of playing. I did have it in an open cabinet but then decided to take it out and see if it is still as loud. After about 15 minutes of playing Blops 2 with the PS3 out in the open the fan cranked up again. It sounds like a hair dryer and is way louder than my phat has ever gotten. This is a video of the fan noise, can anyone tell me if this is normal? It is within my 30 return period so if it is not mormal I can just return it. If is is normal I think I will return it anyway and buy a regular slim.

bren92 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (114 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Re: Super Slim Help

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Its not the Volume of the fan, its the pitch that making the noise. 
You camera is exacerbating the volume as well.

The fins on the fan are at a quite aggressive angle, which cause a high pitch "whine".

Its perfectly normal, especially when playing Black Ops 2 which is a poorly coded game.... I played Max Payne 3 on my new Super Slim to compare and the fans noise is LOWERED. You would think MP3 would make the fan run LOUDER because it had better graphics to it, but no.... my 80Gb to compare my Super Slim with is the same way.... playing BO2, the fan is noticable especially after marathon sessions, but letting it idle, the fans speed will go down to the point its not noticable. The same with MP3, if i'm playing with a lot of people online, fan speed goes up.... If I'm on single player or a small lobby for 4 people or just me and one other person, fan speed goes down.

In general, the COD games are not coded well, or made well, to say the least.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
921 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 12, 2013

The first game I played on here was black ops 2 and the fan did not get this loud in several hours of gaming. Madden 13 was the first game to make the fans do this and ever since Black ops 2 and Assassins Creed 3 also cause it to do this. It is not just the way my phone is making it sound because I sit kind of close to it and even with my headset on I can hear it. Even at idle the fans are more than noticeable. Once it gets this loud it does not quite down till I shut the console off for a while. This is super loud and I know for a fact the regular slim is nowhere near this loud. If this is normal I will be replacing this slim with the regular one before they all sell out. The only thing I can comparer this noise to is my friends Phat PS3 that has a warped heatsink and constantly overheats.

Thanks for your help though.

bren92 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (88 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Then its been overheated at some point if its louder than previous, where it no longer has a proper seating on the heatsink

You say you travel twice a week with it so it might have done something to with it.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
921 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 12, 2013

I never stated that I travel twice a week with it. I bought it to travel with instead of my Phat. The slim has never left the house as I haven't gone anywhere yet. I guess I will just take it back and exchange it for the same model. If the new one does the same thing then I will return that one and buy an old model slim instead.

The only incident I can think of is when my friend went to plug something into the surge protector that I have my PS3 plugged into and he accidentally turned it off. After that point is when it started to get loud, but I do not think that has anything to do with it as my Phat has seen many power interruptions over its 5 years and has never had a problem besides one corrupt save.

bren92 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (79 Views)
0 Likes