Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1887 posts

Re: Syphon Filter vs MGS4

Aug 21, 2010
I prefer the story to MGS games alot more than SF, but gameplay wise to me they are about even. Not really fair though to compare one of the greatest Ps3 games ever made to PSP/Ps2/Ps1 games.

Message 11 of 19 (1,074 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Nov 4, 2010

I love the Syphon Filter franchise but there wouldn't be games like Syphon Filter if it wasn't for Metal Gear.  Plus!  Snake has more personality in his pinky finger than Gabe Logan ever had.

Message 12 of 19 (1,074 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Dec 6, 2010

I'm going to say Syphon Filter. I prefer the story of all the Syphon Filter games. I just think Gabe Logan is cool. I admit I don't know much about the protagonist from Metal Gear Solid. I've never played Metal Gear Solid. Metal Gear Solid games may in fact be righteous. I just don't have enough knowledge about MGS to add a personal opinion about those particular games. Probably one of the main reason I like Syphon Filter over MGS is because I never could get into the anime art style. I grew up watching American cartoons like Johnny Quest. The old ones from the 60's. Not the new Johnny Quest cartoons that sucked. I never did like anime. I don't play any kind of anime games. Not that anime is bad or anything. It's just my personal opinion. I remember the good old days of sitting down and playing Syphon Filter on my PSone that I got for Christmas. I want a Syphon Filter for PS3 SOOOO BAD!!!!

PS. As a matter of fact I'm going to DVR some old Johnny Quest right now. I loved those cartoons. Race Bannon was the ultimate badass.

Message 13 of 19 (1,074 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Dec 15, 2010

Sf keeped me going sequal after sequal. Dark mirror was good I have to get loagans shadow yet. Then metal gear came out furthing the stealth genere more but each sequal felt the same(lost intrest) Then splinter cell cam out and redifined the stealth genre and haven't seen anything better since. Each sequal brought something new to the table, loved on how Essentals we get levels from all of them and new ones, I was only dissapointed on not having the shotgun attachment.

Message 14 of 19 (1,074 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2312 posts

Apr 9, 2012

Sorry to bump this back up, but I'd say Metal Gear Solid 4 although might change if a PS3 version of Syphon FIlter is released

Message 15 of 19 (1,074 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 23, 2013

I feel the same way, I started losing interest after Metal gear solid 4, for some reason I always end up playing SF 1 through 3. Hopefully it'll come out for PS3. I think the multiplayer, and different settings, length of gameplay on SF especially SF2 ( and that game is old lol ) is starting to catch my interest more than MGS4

Message 16 of 19 (814 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17336 posts

Jun 24, 2013
I enjoy both Metal Gear and Syphon Filter, but I've always preferred Syphon.

First off, I know it was like three years ago, but lol @ the guy who said "Without MG, we wouldn't have games like SF"

That is nonsense, John Garvin himself said the only game that was out that would even remotely count as inspiration for SF was Goldeneye 007 for N64. When SF started development, they had no idea about MGS, and I'm pretty sure that despite the limited popularity the original Metal Gear games from the late 80's/early 90's had, the team weren't even aware of them. SF started development in 1996/1997, so it's silly to suggest they were influenced by MGS.

Syphon Filter was self-made, basically. Main things I dislike about MG is all down to Kojima himself, with his constant retconning and trolling the fanbase with nonsense. I won't post any spoilers, but most people who have been following MG for a long time know what I'm talking about. The best games in the series are MGS1 and MGS3, because they are the most down-to-earth without too much BS.

MGS2 had what is perhaps the most nonsensical plot ever, and once the initial phase of "OH SH$*%, MGS2" wore off when the game first came out, people started discussing the plot and realized just how stupid it really was. MGS4's "plot" was literally just nothing but an attempt to try to tie up every loose-end and plot-hole and retcon that was previously established by replacing them with more plot-holes and loose-ends and retcons. It was silly. Then there's the various PSP games which did nothing but take Big Boss' character, who was previously thought to be the big-bad Evil, and making him more and more noble and relatable. I mean, the portable games were decent, at least better than 2 and 4 in terms of story (PW did have a lot of nonsense in it though.)

Syphon Filter on the other hand, has always been consistent and coherent. There's no need for cutscenes and monologues that stretch on for close to or even over an hour. It's because the game doesn't have its own head up its **bleep** and can get the point across without a novel's worth of text and dialogue. This is best displayed at the end of SF2, where Chance gets ready to deliver some epic speech, but Gabe isn't going for it -- he basically tells Chance that it's enough and then b****-slaps him with his Glock. Talk about badass.

Syphon Filter has also had better controls and gameplay, though this is mostly my opinion on the gameplay side, MGS has typically had very wonky controls since day one. Both series have mostly great characters, but I love Gabe much more than Snake. Gabe has a lot of personality, it's just that his type is a stoic, battle-hardened no-nonsense type who has no time for nonsense. And yet, there are still a few sentimental moments in the series, though not nearly as much as in MG.

Metal Gear's problem is the story being crap, because of all the inconsistencies and retcons. It's best way to be experienced is to just take each game on its own, and judge it off its own merits. MGS1 is still my favorite to this day. 3 is right behind it. Portable Ops would've been better had the gameplay been more streamlined (it was VERY annoying having to drag soldiers to the boxes on the map, and the grinding for better soldiers could've been handled much better as well.) Peace Walker had a good plot, at times, but the boss battles were CRAP.

I'd go on if someone were interested about an in-depth gameplay comparison, but this post is already hella-long, so that's for another day, lol.

My observation has purpose, hence I am here.
Message 17 of 19 (810 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Wow I totally agree with your comment NarooN, I couldn't really get into those long cutscenes in the mGS series. I was often too confused with the plot each game came out with because to me it never really added up. The storyline / plot in the SF series has always been more relatable and lead off to the next game which continued where it left off. I noticed that the controls, cutscenes are more enjoyable than MGS

Message 18 of 19 (806 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Sep 13, 2013
I enjoy both but MGS4 is because the music and Act 4.
Message 19 of 19 (743 Views)
0 Likes