Nov 27 2013
By: gR3yGh051 PlayStation MVP 14962 posts

Tablets for second screen capable games

11 replies 1332 views Edited Nov 27, 2013

With this new generation of games, we're given the ability to play the game separately on tablets as a second screen.

Some games use it as a map, ala Battlefield 4. But games coming in the future, like The Division, give tablet users a chance to play along side their console/PC counter-parts in multi-player. 

Second Screen Video:

Gameplay Trailer:

In The Division, if you did not see either video above, the game is a persistent online RPG type of game. 
One of the aspects of the game trailer that was shown, was one of your teammates playing via tablet as a drone. This drone is used as a way to buff character attributes, debuff enemies, mark enemies for teammates, attack etc etc.

With future games having this ability to use a tablet as an additional player - among other potential gameplay uses - if you were to buy a tablet at this point in time, what ones are you looking at and why.

I ask this because my local Best Buy is running an all-weekend Black Friday deal where you buy an iPad Mini for $299 and you get a $100 gift card and really sparked my interest in getting a tablet, if anything just to use as another device to enhance my gameplay as well as to share the experience with my brother or a friend.

And I'd like to start a discussion about the use of tablets and any opinions/facts about the current line-up.

While I like Apple devices, the iOS ecosystem is long in the tooth for me and am willing to get something a little more versatile in terms of applications and uses, and something not so vanilla. As we all know, Apple devices aren't customizable short of your background and some sounds.

So what would you look for in another computing device? 
If you have a tablet already, what is it, what made you get it?
What features of a tablet would make you buy one?

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (1,332 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Re: Tablets for second screen capable games

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

I have the ipad.  I went with it when the original came out and have just upgraded every two years.  I've never really looked at other tablets to be honest.  Would probably do the same next time too.  I guess I'm an apple fanboy:smileywink:  However,  if another tablet did come to the market and was proprietary to psn and would allow me to connect seamlessly to my playstation world I would have to give it a serious look. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (1,328 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Well, with the Playstation App, it works for both Android and Apple devices for the most part so I doubt a proprietary Playstation tablet would ever be needed. The Vita can control most of the PS4 through remote play as it is.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (1,318 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Have 2 iPads, the Mini and the Retina 3. Love em both, they work like champs! I really enjoy all this second screen stuff, been using it a lot with NFS and BF4. 

Feel free to friend me on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/aragost.scott
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (1,311 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Whats the second screen for NFS all about?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (1,309 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

Marrone, it lets you see the world map, live, so you can see the other players. Give users refills to empty boosts, a whole bunch of stuff. EA can explain it better than I can...

"Wherever you are, with a connection, you can interact with the game experience," says Nilsson. "I can open up my app on my Android or my iPad, or on the PC or Mac, and interact with you. I can put a roadblock in your face. I can get a helicopter down to try and stop you. Or I can also help you. If you announce, 'I need some help, I can't finish this race fast enough, can you give me some extra boosts?' I can give you boosts."

"All your stats, all your events. There's a big world map, and on that map you can compare to all your friends, who is owning most of the map? All the roads, all the jumps, all the speed zones. It really shows who's the most successful in Redview County. It's all built up on rivalry, right? It's Need for Speed Rivals. It's you versus your friends, cops versus racers, and we've taken that to a really high degree."

Feel free to friend me on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/aragost.scott
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (1,301 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5446 posts

Nov 27, 2013

I'm getting this one on  Friday:

http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_MeMO_Pad_10_ME102A/

10", 1.6 ghz quad-core, 1gb RAM, Android OS, and 16gb flash memory w/ memory card slot.

It's highly functional, huge display, and expandable/adaptable for the future.

Several outlets, particularly (and most reputably) Amazon, have this puppy up for $200 this week.  It's a steal.  If you want its 7 inch counterpart, it's $129:

http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=13855...

Asus makes the nexus tablets, and these are nearly identical.  

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1299 posts

Nov 27, 2013
Nexus 7 FTW
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (1,276 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4341 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2013

Been a while since I did this so, apologies if it’s a bit rough.

I personally had a love for tablets at one time around 2010. Strange things were happening in my life. Years before I had switched from a Gaming Desktop environment to a Gaming Laptop setup, but due to my 360 at the time of it’s launch, it started being played more than my laptop. I also had an off and on love affair with the PS3 with me owning one [original model] for a few months and then selling it, did the same with the first slim model (I could explain but even now it doesn’t make much sense as I can only say I played the big titles and then moved on). So I evaluated if I should keep a laptop since now I only used it for surfing the web and doing emails at the time. IT resulted in me getting a Tablet and I went practically 3 years living off tablets, android ones.

I know multiple people who love their iPad and the purpose of this post is not to degrade or anything but I will provide links and my two cents to the other tablets I tried. I will also provide Video's to Each Model that is still relevant.

Welcome to Android.

There are multiple companies who have ventured on to this open-sourced platform but only three are even worth anyone’s time as the others I’ve had or tried just felt like it was being put out there just for the sake to get into that market to sell as many as possible.. Let’s start with the one company who has come out of nowhere... Samsung.

Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab series (Recent)

Samsung was making Android Tablets for a while but one year a breakthrough come onto one of their phablets, the Galaxy Note, with being able to run two apps full screen on the same screen called Multi-Window. It's something very similar to what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One and Windows 8 devices via the Snap feature. It was such a popular feature Samsung rolled it out on their future Galaxy S Phones (even the S3 received an update to do so). It was when their premium tablets began having this feature like the Note 10.1 and 8.0 when Samsung knew that they had something that had to be in everything they had for Android (strangely, the older Tab series does not but the 8.0 model does). Prices vary and some of the tablets even have a pen that really make it a great device for taking Notes in classes (I did this in my training courses for my job). These are expandable BTW, and you can add as much as 64GB to the initial amount you get with the tablet itself. The accessories are pretty great as well, for example, the Note 10.1 has a dock that turns it into a semi All-in-One and if you like you can buy an HDMI adapter for that big screen approach. Battery life BTW, was quite good and if you are looking for an affordable tablet the Tab 3 is currently their second best tablets compared to their Note series. For those who want to know the difference between the two Note 10.1's, the 2014 model has better specs, has the newer Mutli-window and Samsung Software, has a different build design, and the 2056 x 1600 is gorgeous and highly comparable to the Retina Display.

Note 10.1 (original) | Note 8.0 | Note 10.1 (2014 Model) | Tab 3 (10.1 Model)

Now we move on to what many think it's competitor is in the tablet Market, the Asus line.

Asus Transformer Family

The Transformer family really interested me due to the power it could provide thanks to the touted Tegra chips inside but the extra accessory it would lock on to - the Keyboard dock. Unlike the Samsung Note, which converts to a standup All-in One, the Keyboard dock on the Transformer series frankly transformed it into a mini laptop. The dock brought a new game to Android Tablets as it doubled your battery life on the Asus Transformer series from 16 to 20 hours when the two are combined (normal tablets last 8 - 10 hours). Not only was it strikingly comfortable, the touchpad worked well and gives any owner additional storage space from the norm of an additional SD card slot (besides the Micro SD card on the tablet) and a USB port to allow infinite storage possibilities and accessories (USB mouse, etc.). The dock also has an HDMI port to allow you to view your Android goodness on the big screen. So getting it without the dock is an odd approach to this tablet but it's still more than capable to do your everyday needs,  there's even a premium version which is has a  2560 x 1600 display in a pure metallic body. Not only that but they also try to provide something similar to what Samsung has, which is called "Floating apps". Interesting of course and works but not as unique as Samsung's Multi-Window IMHO. The Memo series though is the second best tablets from Asus can provide and can be found for an extremely affordable price for a still quite powerful tablet (also has the Floating apps). 

TF300 (Budget) | TF700 (Infinity) | TF701T (2014) | Memo 10

Speaking of Asus, Google Nexus line is created by them in regards to their tablets.

Nexus 7 & 10

When Google came on the Market with it's very own Tablet (backed by Asus), they were chasing after people mindful of a price budget but wanted something powerful. Thus we got the Nexus 7, pure Google goodness of Android, no gimmicks or extra features whatsoever - which then becomes a double edge sword. While being first for Android updates are nice as well as having pretty much compatibility with every app in the Play Store - there is no way to expand your memory like MicroSD card slots or USB ports, no Camera, missing features like these are strikingly odd mind you but more than likely helped bring the price of the tablet to where it is at. The Nexus 10 did bring some improvements over the 7" model like a Camera , HDMI port, and a 2560 x 1600 10" Display (Samsung made the 10" model BTW) . 2013 rolled out a better 7" device with a camera as well, but didn't address many concerns (no expandable memory still). While the devices are great, it sits near the bottom of my list of best Android Tablets I've had or used (not going to mention Amazon's work).

Nexus 7 (original) | Nexus 10 (original) | Nexus 7 (2013) | 

While tablet Window devices are becoming more apparent on the market, I can't give my view on them besides the one I have, the Lenovo Twist (CNET Review). It's what got me back to the PC world (yes, I went back to using a PC due to Steam and Video Editing) while letting me still enjoy the tablet world if I ever wish to (it's a convertible Hybrid laptop). Video of it above to the right ========>

So there's my thought's, sorry for the long post and long video's. I hope it improved your knowledge of the three companies who make the best Android tablets on the market currently IMO. Others can give their thoughts...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (1,256 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

Nov 28, 2013

thanks for your input da1writer, very informative! 

I think I've made my decision.... I'll be getting the Surface Pro 2 later next year. I played around with some tablets yesterday and the Surface Pro simply spoke to me. But going with an Android tablet isn't out of the question if an equivalent rival to the Surface Pro 2 comes out before then.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (1,218 Views)
0 Likes