I Only Post Everything
1062 posts

Re: Teamwork vs. Individuality In Starhawk

Sep 24, 2012
another reason i believe what ou just posted happens is most people don't know some certain logical ideas, for instance if you move forward in zones but the enemy is taking your bases from the back, some of your team NEEDS to go and protect it, you can capture as many bases as you want but if you dont protect those which you have(especially your most loaded base) everything will fall apart, and that all can be avoided with a little teamwork.

but IMO i believe starhawk is too complex for the average gamer, not as in skill-wise but as in teamwork-wise, i guess most people don't know how to be a team player, i played a heavily unbalance match(it was clan tagged...the clan had less players..more than 2:1 ratio) but those three guys held it out, they built efficiently so one torpedo wouldn't kill hem, but not so open that we could've just roadkill them with SW and RB(BTW they were British, had thick brtish accents and said we put up a 'bloody good fight' :cathappy:). I guess what i am trying to say is most average players IMO dont know how to be a team player so instead they play as individuals.(by average i dont mean skill level, but how much they play)
Message 21 of 47 (223 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1194 posts

Sep 25, 2012

UnKnOwN_FoRcE0 wrote:
I guess what I am trying to say is most average players IMO don't know how to be a team player so instead they play as individuals.(by average I don't mean skill level, but how much they play)

Great point. I blame Starhawk's design for not forcing players to work as a team more. As the game ages a bit you may find more teamwork among players because players who hope to win will have to adapt if they hope to succeed.

Right now it's often more of a free-for-all and the team with the most skilled players wins. Communication is still very optional.

I still wear my headset every round but never hear much about the game other than someone complaining they just got killed. Oh, and the singing. Always the singing.... Please stop it. :smileysad: 

Message 22 of 47 (219 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Starhawk is not a team game. They are even less so, I was quiet doing work hoping for some team vehicle, but now we have two DLC vehicles that are single player only! :smileysad: FTLOG can't we get one nice team vehicle?

Welcome to Craibwoud

LBP2: U.S.S. OK
Message 23 of 47 (205 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
410 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

please disregard any misspelling my spell check is not working and i don't spell that well (thank you) 

Rubicon great thread and it touches on a thread i recently made StarHawk players--which was about the veiw of older players by the newer ones.  as mentioned LBI has offered a more single's game to us because of the way the weapons are made and what those weapons can do alone with out the use of others to say (get the job done). you experienced what 3 guys can do when planned to do so and the game offers that also yet the majority of the players have not done that? Part of what was mentioned in that thread of the point i was trying to get across by first seeing what others veiws where of it, i'm finding out it's not what a person says in the forum that get's the best replys it's who say'd it (you&pilgram) are two, kinda wanting to see what would happen if either of you where to tell me what to say or write in a thread to see that it would get trolled on regardless (sorry back to subject).

Everypoint made is true and from what was said in the thread most people lean toward it's a single game. i beleive the older team players have set that rule in place and the newer players are following what has been set. It's not no one single person's fauilt not even LBI, even though as you pointed out the game made way so people adapted and played that way, the ability to win as a loaner is there so do it? the true fun of the team game and longer lasting fun of that is here to grab and use why is it not being done? this team play as you experienced from some russian guys,. StarHawk offers that and it's going to take the OLDER PLAYERS to join in to make that happen if it's going to happen soon, it will still happen as i stated in another thread but will be after we are not playing anymore probably and the game might not even survive here if that dosent happen soon.  you have a community that is allowing a few people to spoil for the whole and i don't see eye to eye to that at all. it's like this--- i see you on the street, we meet i tell you i'm a theif and i come over and steal you gas at night, you know i'm doing it but you don't say anything and you let me continue to do so, before long another guy see's this and he wants to join in on stealing your gas, so you have a few people in the subdivision ruining it for the whole community, that chaps my (add what you want).The community is allowing this to stay in the community. (I had Starhawk thread removed for veiwing along with official complaint)

The odler more respected people fo the community sets the pace and that was what StarHawk player thread was about and this thread brings out some of that, do we want the most out of StarHawk? Do we want a much higher elevated game play? i say yes to both and i will do my part to make that happen, by supporting team play, by supporting the newer players, by pointing out the trolls, by continueing to be part of this forum, by hoping starhawk survives, by trying to be like those russian guys, i'd bet they don't put up with the (add what you want) in there forums or game play, by playing starhawk till the end comes--Have Fun Play StarHawk. 

Message 24 of 47 (202 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1194 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Celsus and rdc1134 makes a great point. There are no team vehicles in the game other than the Razorback and Ox Tank.

The Razorback got far more love during the beta before the Sidewinder was available. The Ox Tank is hardly ever used as a team vehicle from my experience.

Reason? No one really wants to trust someone else for his or her safety and/or success. For us Warhawk players, we have learned the hard way that jumping into a team vehicle can mean certain death if a skilled Hawk pilot spots you. How many of us pass up the chance for a double kill or hat trick?

Now if I know the other player(s) has some skills I'll likely jump in because I know we will have greater success working as a team but it also paints us as a bigger target than when we go it alone. Two or three Razorbacks are often better than one fully loaded. Also support players do not get enough reward point wise to take the risk of being a more sought after target.

Again, the game does not force players to take that kind of risk. Every weapon and vehicle can have success with a single player. I don't know if that was intentional but it is the case.

Now we will get a Pod Cannon and Grizzly suit. Each, a single player device in the game that again lets you become “an army of one”. Had a Dropship or APC been created instead of the Pod Cannon things may have changed.

Maybe future DLC will focus more on team vehicles but they must have some real benefit for those that use them correctly or they are nothing more than deathtraps for someone else’s kill score. 

Message 25 of 47 (186 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Sep 26, 2012

I have to agree with that, the APC worked well because it was easy to join for other players, they got a little reward, they were safer, and they got transport they could escape. The Dropship was the opposite in some ways. It had tons of strength, but other players had to be close by to get in if it was on the ground, its rockets were horrid at best, and you got stuck in it. THe dropship worked well for people that wanted to work as a team, but was pretty much good for the person being transported in the jeep or tank with the flag and not the lame missle launcher (eventhough I loved it).

The APC had the shield that stopped hawks abusing, and its charge ram that got it to safety. It was mostly defensive, but teh driver was safe and could do some things. An APC with other pcs with rpgs was very strong.

All I can say is I really wanted something multi player from starhawk, and I still have not seen it. Perhaps they gave up on the people that like team play and are just going for the lonewolfs. Is it too much to ask for?

Welcome to Craibwoud

LBP2: U.S.S. OK
Message 26 of 47 (166 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1194 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Again, I miss the APC from Warhawk. The Dropship not so much for all the reasons you mentioned.

Now if LBI could tweak the Dropship so you could orbit above the range of Hawks (or give it some serious protection) and use it as mobile spawn beacon, I could see a place for that in game.

Outpost spam has become so crazy lately. Using a low orbiting mobile spawn vehicle you could have lots of troops "Pod Storm" into an area all at once (like in the single player game).

Sticks with the game's cannon and would help encourage some true team play. "It's raining Scabs"! :smileytongue:

Every person for themselves is fun and chaotic but doesn't promote team play very much.

Hopefully there is room in the game for more vehicles that work better as a team than some other type of power suit.

Message 27 of 47 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Sep 26, 2012
Don't feel like reading everyone's posts, so I'd say it depends completely on who you are playing against. Against weak players, you can take over a server all by yourself. Those games aren't very fun for anybody. Just killing cannon fodder and cannon fodder getting killed.
However, against elite players, you'd better have your team in check. Reclaim others' buildings, have grizzly and turret support, one MAW camper, whatever. The greater the task, the greater the need for teamwork.
Message 28 of 47 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
410 posts

Sep 26, 2012

with the new mods this last time around, i'd have to say they might move the game toward team play more, once those players on baord to play team style and the more that type of play is heard on the mic, this game has the potential to be a very team organized game play, i say let's see what happens know that the ground appears (don't want to speak too soon) to have some equilizer in the mist AKA GRIZZLY

Message 29 of 47 (135 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1194 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2012

rdc1134 wrote:

with the new modes this last time around, I'd have to say they might move the game toward team play more, once those players on board to play team style and the more that type of play is heard on the mic, this game has the potential to be a very team organized game play, I say let's see what happens know that the ground appears (don't want to speak too soon) to have some equalizer in the mist AKA GRIZZLY

I feel Gate Keeper and Assault modes are the best team modes so far. I'm not much of a pilot but protecting your team's ball carrier is the main goal in Gate Keeper and taking out the enemy bases in Assault is brutal.

This promotes the teamwork this game needs.

And yes, once more players start using mics and start working with each other more, all team based modes will become even more intense.

This weeks Community Night Live Feed showed how communication can make all the difference during a round.

Message 30 of 47 (125 Views)
0 Likes