Highlighted
Jan 31 2014
By: jgrizzle358 I Only Post Everything 887 posts

The Current State and Future of Gaming

[ Edited ]
35 replies 312 views Edited Jan 31, 2014

I was just reading this article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/31/more-xbox-one-rumours-as-microsoft-tries-to-track-leaker

and I was thinking to myself "IF this happens to be true, this is another step towards that 'all digital' future they keep trying to push." 

And I can't help but wonder... where do you all, as gamers, stand on this? Me, personally. I'm nostalgic. I prefer a good old fashioned disc on the shelf, case, artwork, manual, ect. But I can see the appeal to digital games as well. Of course, one of my digital elitist friends gave a lazy excuse and said it was "too much work to get up and switch discs" that doesn't sound like a valid excuse to me... but I see the convince appeal and the ability to save physical space can be nice too, yes. And digital games go on sale more often too, yes. But, something about retail has always spoken to me. I grew up on consoles and mainly PlayStation, and have always shied away from PC gaming. There's an "at home" factor with Sony I just can't quite place my finger on. My passion for gaming in general is huge, but it's amplified by Sony's exclusives and consumer friendly policies. 

I mean... Seeing things like how Need for Speed Rivals has online multiplayer but no local split screen makes me sad... because I don't want the parts of gaming I enjoyed for so long to completely die in order to make room for the new stuff. I see no reason why we can't have both. 

It's obvious as of right now that PlayStation is for the gamers. I mean look at some of the games we have gotten recently for PS+. We can buy, rent, and sell games used or new,  we can play games offline if we chose, and it's all so easy and simplistic. No hoops to jump through, no DRM, no mess. 

But, things like PlayStation Now, even though I'm excited for them, scare me a bit. Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome and I'm excited to try it, but I know it's a step towards an all digital future, and I'm not 100% sure if I'm ready for that. It's hard to let go of what you've been used to for so long. 

Ideally, I'd like things to stay how they are. You can buy retail, or digital, and the graphics, features and hardware just keeps getting better. Choices, so that everyone's happy. No DRM, no always online. Just games, for gamers, by gamers. But I realize this is a pipe dream and probably not permanently feasible. 

Part of my worry has a lot to do with ISPs. Companies like Comcast and AT&T are going to have to provide faster speeds and higher bandwidth caps at lower prices if PlayStation Now is indeed the future, cuz as it stands right now, unless you have Google Fiber, you're going to hit your limit a lot. It takes about 1-2GB to stream an HD movie for an hour. I imagine games will take a lot more. 

I once took a poll on a website dedicated to making trophy guides about if they thought gaming should go all digital. The answer was essentially "no". http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/general-games-discussion/208014-do-you-think-games-should-g...

But this was also a website mainly for PlayStation gamers, and it wasn't long after E3, so there may have been some bias there. I was skeptical of posting this thread here for the same reason but I realize there's a lot more maturity to be found on these boards than most forum sites on the internet. And certainly more than in the IGN article I linked. 

The worst part of this, for me, is that I one day want to work in the industry but I find myself second guessing myself when it comes to stuff like this. I'm sure they want someone who is all for moving forward and not holding on to "outdated technology" but I know I'm not alone in my opinions, as we've seen, so it makes me feel slightly better. I think, I wouldn't be suited for marketing, as I have a "put consumer happiness before money" mentality, and I know most business don't work like this... But from what I've seen, both broadly and on a personal level, PlayStation and their staff do appear to be genuinely interested in what we, the gamers, think and feel. And you don't see many companies doing that. Which is part of why I posted this here. 

Anyways, back to the main point, what are your thoughts? How do you feel about the state of gaming now and what are your thoughts/fears/hopes on the future of gaming? I know that the all digital future is inevitable, I just want to know how YOU feel about it. Smiley Happy

To summarize my feelings: I feel we should always have the option of both, that way everyone is happy. 

Exophase Gamercard
Message 1 of 36 (312 Views)
Splicer
68 posts

Re: The Current State and Future of Gaming

Jan 31, 2014

I prefer the disc also.   I don't care much for the idea of having to buy everything and play from a cloud.

Message 2 of 36 (304 Views)
Survivor
1817 posts

Jan 31, 2014

In one sense, I wouldn't really mind, I don't need a physical disc... but I DO want full, uncompromised ownership of my purchase.  Not a license tied to one username, or a game which can only be played online.  So until I can be promised that (i.e., never) then I want physical copies as an option.

What I want and what we'll get, of course, are entirely different things.  Plus, all-digital gaming will be introduced slowly so that everyone learns to accept it, and by the time it's too late to reverse course only a minority will  still care anyways.

Message 3 of 36 (290 Views)
Platinum
55471 posts

Jan 31, 2014

StrikeKing023 wrote:

I prefer the disc also.   I don't care much for the idea of having to buy everything and play from a cloud.

+ 1 here, I really don't like digital copies.

Message 4 of 36 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Jan 31, 2014
Link not work
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 36 (286 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

Jan 31, 2014

Hermaeus_Moron wrote:

In one sense, I wouldn't really mind, I don't need a physical disc... but I DO want full, uncompromised ownership of my purchase.  Not a license tied to one username, or a game which can only be played online.  So until I can be promised that (i.e., never) then I want physical copies as an option.

What I want and what we'll get, of course, are entirely different things.  Plus, all-digital gaming will be introduced slowly so that everyone learns to accept it, and by the time it's too late to reverse course only a minority will  still care anyways.

a lot of people put up the argument that you down't actually OWN a physical game, you just own the rights to play it, but it still belongs to the publisher. I don't buy into this nonsense personally, but it's an interesting concept.

But if I bought the game, and it's in my house, it's mine. That's how I see it.  

Exophase Gamercard
Message 6 of 36 (284 Views)
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

Jan 31, 2014

HWGuy14 wrote:
Link not work

fixed

Exophase Gamercard
Message 7 of 36 (280 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10171 posts

Jan 31, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:

Hermaeus_Moron wrote:

a lot of people put up the argument that you down't actually OWN a physical game, you just own the rights to play it, but it still belongs to the publisher. I don't buy into this nonsense personally, but it's an interesting concept.

If you read all the ToS and stuff for the games, it actually says right on it, for physical disc games, that this is only licensed to you and you don`t own it, I think some might even say they have the right to take back the game if you break the licensing agreements.

I also like physical disc much more, I sometimes buy digitally, but the majority of my games are physically owned.

Message 8 of 36 (278 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

Jan 31, 2014

chaos_789 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

Hermaeus_Moron wrote:

If you read all the ToS and stuff for the games, it actually says right on it, for physical disc games, that this is only licensed to you and you don`t own it, I think some might even say they have the right to take back the game if you break the licensing agreements.

I also like physical disc much more, I sometimes buy digitally, but the majority of my games are physically owned.

They have to slap all that stuff on for legal reasons, but the fact still remains that once it gets into my house it's mine to do with as I please, play it, sell it, eat it, have sex with it, use it as a frisbee, whatever. The publisher may reserve the right to kick down my door and take it back, but there's a 00000000000000.1% chance of that happening. 

Exophase Gamercard
Message 9 of 36 (272 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jan 31, 2014

Full digital WILL happen, but not anytime soon.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 10 of 36 (270 Views)