Feb 18 2011
By: Dungeoncrawler Hekseville Citizen 434 posts

The New TOS Questions/Concerns & 3rd Party Vendor(s)

5 replies 22 views Edited Feb 18, 2011

I currently use 3rd-party hardware items such as the intensity pro/intensity shuttle (capture cards) for broadcasting ps3 gameplay on jtv.  I also have a couple retail purchased keyboard/mouse emulators (penguin & splitfish).  I'm concerned these could possibly get my psn account banned.  Will Sony be releasing a list of acceptable, Sony-endorsed items prior to any bannings?  I beleive the splitfish is endorsed by Sony already.  However, I'm not sure about the various capture-cards out on the market today; thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12349 posts

Re: The New TOS Questions/Concerns & 3rd Party Vendor(s)

Feb 18, 2011

Capture cards could be used to record copyright protected DVD and Blu-ray movies plus other PSN related videos, I would be cautious if I was you.  Sony has now taken the role of a tyrant, and I wouldn't put anything past them at this point. Especially if you agreed to the new ToS which essentially grants Sony power of attorney over your soul.

However if your capture card uses analog inputs (component, composite) rather than digital (HDMI) you will be safe.   Analog is untraceable and can't be uniquely identified.  While it woudl still be placed in a log on the PS3, they cannot tell what the device is, just that you are connected to some analog source.

Message 2 of 6 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
434 posts

Feb 18, 2011

Hi - Thanks leuk, I will be cautious.  I'll just wait awhile and see what Sony does in the next week or so.  Certainly enough new games coming out that I can play sp and stay offline without accepting the new TOS.  Personally, I think Sony is making a mistake taking such a hard-line.  Not specifically concerning the measures, but how they seem to be insinuating that everyone is doing something mischievous or illegal.  Hopefully things will mellow-out real soon ?

Message 3 of 6 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12349 posts

Feb 18, 2011

It's probably not quite that bad (yet), as I was over-exaggerating a bit.  So I take it your CC uses HDMI?

Even then a HDMI CC is probably still safe, since HDMI has HDCP, which would prevent you from recording any copyrighted materials.  I'm sure you would be fine.

Message 4 of 6 (22 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11997 posts

Feb 18, 2011

don't worry about your 3rd party stuff. the unliscenced stuff was made not ot work a few months ago, like 3 FWs ago. a lot of people are up in arms about this new TOS. if you take the last TOS and this new one, there has been only 1 thing changed. Section 10, that part that talks about music unlimited and qrocity is the only new thing added. NOTHING else was changed. whatever you were using before this new TOS will continue to work.

Message 5 of 6 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
434 posts

Feb 19, 2011

thanks gents, i feel allot safer now and will go ahead and agree to the new tos.  leuk, my shuttle (capture device) is only component due to the whole hdmi security feature of the ps3.  it has hdmi capabilities, but you cannot capture while using this method.  sorta sad as it limits my casts to 720p. 

Message 6 of 6 (22 Views)
0 Likes