Wastelander
694 posts

Re: The PlayStation 4 gives up 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

it's not a waste of time, it's a discussion.  the fact of the matter is, if this is true, it could hinder the longevity of the system, but if it's not true, then yeah no problem.  but, since this did come up and is on major websites (where if they thought it was a waste of time they probably wouldn't have posted it) and rather just some no-name, trying to get hits, site, i think it might have some validity.  if it was the latter, i then i'd probably agree with you.

Message 21 of 46 (993 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5920 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

RGA_BodyBag wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

I could have sworn that I read the PS4 OS footprint was much smaller. I remember seeing that the XBone was 3.5-4GB for OS and PS4 was 1.5-2GB or something like that.

Xbox One OS - 3GB
PS4 OS - 1GB

Everything else is a lie to try to get people to buy the other console.

This is correct and certain people aren't even bothering to read the article thoroughly. Dev units originally shipped with 4gb of GDDR5 ram because Sony didn't know if they could even acquire 8gb due to cost, Mark Cerney even stated that in his keynotes and interviews. So devs only allocated 3.5 for games, 512mb for the OS (sound familiar, huh) was left. As soon as Sony gave wind it would be 8gb, certain devs were already near golden/ completion of their game like Guerrilla Games Killzone, which now left an unused 4.5gb to whatever now. Sony claimed 1gb for the OS layer and gave devs 7gb. That's how it really is. Just check the interviews and the main PS4 thread...

Message 22 of 46 (980 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6929 posts

Jul 26, 2013

OptimusC wrote:

it's not a waste of time, it's a discussion.  the fact of the matter is, if this is true, it could hinder the longevity of the system, but if it's not true, then yeah no problem.  but, since this did come up and is on major websites (where if they thought it was a waste of time they probably wouldn't have posted it) and rather just some no-name, trying to get hits, site, i think it might have some validity.  if it was the latter, i then i'd probably agree with you.

The only ones that think this is a valid discussion are the ones that want people to jump to MS. This rumor is most likely a scare tactic to try and get people to jump ship. Until a dev comes out and/or Sony publicly comes out and says the PS4 OS footprint is 3.5GB people with an ounce of common sense should ignore it.

But as someone already posted there are past articles/videos that state the footprint was much less then MS.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 23 of 46 (960 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Jul 26, 2013
Actually here you go.
Neogaf.com
If it's not listed there, it does not exist or matter.

--------------------
Is this how?!
Message 24 of 46 (936 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1405 posts

Jul 26, 2013

i could care less what the ram footprint is the ps3 has 512mb ram and we can run games like tlou so the 8gb will be great for the next 6 or so years

Message 25 of 46 (927 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Calling B.S.

Message 26 of 46 (919 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5920 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

Has anyone looked at the post marked date of the slides, it's dated before February...

Before the PS4 was even announced to the public when the Dev units were still only 4gb...

http://i.imgur.com/UswQsIx.jpg

Neogaf is actually having a good old laugh at some of you guys here actually, they see the postmarked date of the slides as well...

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=635306&page=2

Message 27 of 46 (911 Views)
Wastelander
694 posts

Jul 26, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

OptimusC wrote:

The only ones that think this is a valid discussion are the ones that want people to jump to MS. This rumor is most likely a scare tactic to try and get people to jump ship. Until a dev comes out and/or Sony publicly comes out and says the PS4 OS footprint is 3.5GB people with an ounce of common sense should ignore it.

But as someone already posted there are past articles/videos that state the footprint was much less then MS.

yes. you are so correct in your words. ounces of common sense and you totally missed the point. 

who do you think you are? 

"I don't comment on rumors or speculation because I do not know how to have a logical conversation without bringing up fanboyism and MS"

If you don't think this is worth commenting, why are you still posting on this thread?

Message 28 of 46 (910 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Jul 26, 2013

OptimusC wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

OptimusC wrote:

yes. you are so correct in your words. ounces of common sense and you totally missed the point. 

who do you think you are? 

"I don't comment on rumors or speculation because I do not know how to have a logical conversation without bringing up fanboyism and MS"

If you don't think this is worth commenting, why are you still posting on this thread?

Whoa, back up there, Chet.  Aren't you taking this a bit personally?

I'm not taking sides here, but the phrase, "Who do you think you are?"  being lobbed at someone who's been a member of the community four years longer than you, and with double the posts seems more than a little antagonistic.

Neither of you has any more right to their opinion than the other.  Let's keep this civil, yeah?

Grindhead_Jim

Message 29 of 46 (873 Views)
MVP Support
5920 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

My god...

After making some phone calls and talking to some of the neogaf devs (there are actual game devs on that forum who I'm friends with before their fame to game). It's confirmed and now I have to edit PlayStation Spec portion of the PS4 main thread ...

http://www.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=73024816

"-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it"

I was also told that due to this Lowering of ram for the developers, the CPU clock can be overclocked to compensate.

Where did I hear that before...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/sony-playstation-4-fcc/

Message 30 of 46 (873 Views)