Fender Bender
3942 posts

Re: The Real Cost Of PlayStation Plus --- Year 1

Jun 29, 2010

Good post but i wouldn't count Discounts in the  cost calc... just cause 95% of people are only gonna download the free items

Message 20 of 105 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Jun 29, 2010

I really dont think its as black and white as that.

Your forgetting the biggest thing, is there anything anyone actually wants? So far the answer, atleast for me, is No.

It doesnt matter how much you "Could" save if there is nothing offered that you want to buy, and if the trend continues like this month then each moth it will just be old lousy games that you probably dont want. Come on,e wipeout HD wa their great big bang opening offer? Thats a joke, if this is the best their gonna do then no thanks.

Iregardless of the fact that you dont even get to keep the "free" games which is a slap to the face. I bet the only good free game will come on month 15 to make you buy another year subscription to keep playing it

Message 21 of 105 (262 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jun 29, 2010

DigitalEternal wrote:

I really dont think its as black and white as that.

Your forgetting the biggest thing, is there anything anyone actually wants? So far the answer, atleast for me, is No.

It doesnt matter how much you "Could" save if there is nothing offered that you want to buy, and if the trend continues like this month then each moth it will just be old lousy games that you probably dont want. Come on,e wipeout HD wa their great big bang opening offer? Thats a joke, if this is the best their gonna do then no thanks.

Iregardless of the fact that you dont even get to keep the "free" games which is a slap to the face. I bet the only good free game will come on month 15 to make you buy another year subscription to keep playing it

Exactly now someone is speaking some sense.

Message 22 of 105 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Jun 29, 2010
Looks pretty cool. I'm hoping Playstation Plus gets better stuff in there though.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 23 of 105 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks for posting this Shisno. Kotaku had something similar on their site though it added up everything including Wipeout HD which is yours only so long as your a PSN+ member.

I think I'm going to pass on this for now. It sounds like a cool idea and there's a lot of potential but ultimately there's not enough there for me to make the jump. Pricing InFamous at $29.99 seems a bit ridiculous considering I can buy a brand new copy right now for $27.99 from Amazon w/ free shipping. It's a minor gripe but still...

I also already own Wipeout HD. The rest of the discounts are to games I either have no interest in or don't own and therefore don't care about the DLC.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I'm a bit disappointed with the offerings so far. Definitely not enough for me to shell out $50/year. I'm going to keep monitoring the service as it evolves with plans to maybe subscribe when the content offerings match the price.

Message 24 of 105 (262 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1071 posts

Jun 29, 2010

You're only saving if it's on content you would have otherwise bought.  For most of it, you're also only renting the content so you need to consider this into the equation.  The cost is $50 plus every penny you then spend.  

Sure, you get discounts but you're still spending money in order to 'save' it.  The lure is to get you to buy items that you would not have otherwise purchased under the guise of these savings.  

For some heavy PSN purchasers it could amount to a good value.  To me, it amounts to $0 thus far as I already own Wipeout and it's the only item I have even the slightest interest in.  

Just be careful not to get duped into buying items for the 'savings' as you're still spending money.  

Message 25 of 105 (262 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1002 posts

Jun 29, 2010

A true analysis would be:

$50 for 15 months = $3.34 a month

If the savings of whatever you buy or get equal or exceed that, it's a good month.

Assuming you like only themes and avatars:

1 theme = $2.50

2 avatars = $1

Yes, PSN+ is a good deal.

Let's assume you're only interested in the free PSN downloads, even though it's sort of a rental:

PSN game = $10

Let's assume you're only interested in the PSOne random games.

PS One game = $5 or more

Let's assume you have a PSP and want to put stuff in it, like every PSOne game and mini they give you:

PS One game = $5 or more

mini = $2 or so

Let's assume you're in it for the free Add-ons to anything (lol)

1 add-on = $5 or so

Now assume you only want the discounts.  These are tricky as they vary by month.  But if you can save more than $3.34 in anything you want, PSN+ is a good deal.

Let's assume you want the full hour trial, the automatic updates, the early demos, the exclusive Betas and/or Qore.  Is any one or more of those things worth $3.34 a month to you?  If so, then PSN+ is a good deal.

Otherwise, why consider it?

Message 26 of 105 (262 Views)
Splicer
61 posts

Jun 30, 2010

AZKWHY wrote:

well playstation plus is mainly for people who buy alot of stuff from the playstation store.

so for people who are on a budget its pretty useless buying PSN+ if they rarely buy games from the playstation store

Yes obviously PS+ is not for people who do not buy games very often, hence the + mark, lol.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 27 of 105 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
131 posts

Jun 30, 2010

Nice list you've compiled there.  I commend you for shedding light upon all the complaints.

Message 28 of 105 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jun 30, 2010

108 bucks? -_- there goes my new pair of Air Jordans

firstplaceswag
Message 29 of 105 (262 Views)
0 Likes