Highlighted
Aug 28 2012
By: Andy209 Sackboy 413 posts

The (Un)Official 1.8 Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]
87 replies 2335 views Edited Aug 30, 2012

There's quite a few of these scatterd so I'm creating this for forum members to post their likes/dislike, complaints, and so on. Please no spamming complaints or fighting / telling people their complaints are worthless. This will hopefully help Sony figure what to implement in their next big update. So without further ado...

I'm liking the Browser update, it seems Cookies are finally saving so that I don't have to relog every time I check the forums via my Vita.

The buttons implementation on the home screen are workable (no more need to smear your screen if you get sweaty hands like me after an hour of losing to Shao Khan in MK Man Mad), although I haven't found a way to scroll pages quickly with them. Fast page shifting with the L and R bumpers would be welcomed! 

I haven't seen much for PS1 support in the PS Store but I'm guessing this will come with tomorrow's afetrnoon update to PSN, so I'll be patient for now. I also understand a Sony Rep stated they will work on getting these in weekly. Let's hope we get our favorites on ASAP!

I haven't tried Cross-controller functionality yet but I will as soon as I get the chance because it looks pretty cool. SONY, if you are in fact reading this, I demand you continue to support this feature! I wanna control my invetory in TLOU with my Vita and also unlock secret junk!

That's pretty much all I got! Please discuss what you like/dislike about the 1.8 update and say stuff you'd like for a Sony representative to translate back to the big dogs.

In addition, I'll update the thread with some common complaints/ideas by posters;

Button Navigation

• PlayStation Store Button Navigation should be implemented 
  • Full Button Navigation in the Browser should be implemented
  • Button Control for Music and Videos will be welcomed
  • There is currently no way to Vertical Scroll through home pages quickly using buttons

PS1 Support 

• There is currently no way to map the D-Pad to the Vita's Analog, this option should be a given
  • Display Option "Zoom" is completely useless and should have been removed. (It displays the game at full size horzontal and crops the lower half of the screen out.)
  • "Analog Mode" should be enabled by default
  • The controller settings screen indicates you can use the back touch panel to control the L2/R2 and L3/L3 buttons, but has no details on how it works. I'm assuming it's identical to using Remote Play (top = L2/R2, bottom = L3/R3), but some players may not be familiar with this. (Give us the ability to customize/map the back panel to specific buttons)
  • Sort of a bug: The options menu can only be opened by tapping and holding the middle area of the screen. It'd be nice if tapping the outer edges would also open it. 
  • Bug: May be restricted to FF8, but the input buffer or whatever doesn't appear to be read often enough. If you tap a button very quickly to select an option, it frequently isn't recognized. (I'm personally not familiar with this)

Browser

• Video Playback in Browser
  • Copy/Paste function is a must
  • Horizontal Scrolling and Zoom in the Browser via back touch should be implemented
  • Text Box scrolling should be implemented using touch in the Browser
  • Give us back the ability to download YouTube videos Please
  • Email Support (in browser or optional app)

Other

• Would like more Apps
  • Optional Note Pad application will be welcomed (optional because not everyone wants this on their Home Screen and some people feel "Maps" and "Welcome Park" should be optional as well)
  • Many of us want Cross-controller supported heavily

Much thanks to the posters who provide feedback.

Don't Forget to Play [Persona 4 Golden] Every Night Before Bed.
Message 1 of 88 (2,335 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

Re: Official 1.8 Discussion Thread

Aug 28, 2012

First of all I would like to congratulate you for having some balls and post something no one ever consider posting Smiley Happy, Pray the Lord for your good post. If only you thought of this sooner, the forum wasn't crowded with 1.80 thread like it is now, make thing worse. I would like to keep this thread going so that people would shut up about posting another thread and post here instead Smiley Happy So I would like to thank you Andy for doing this

Here is my review so far about 1.80 Patch:

Button Control Aka Semi-XMB Layout:

Everyone been asking since launch, and Sony deliver, kinda hard to use if you're used to touch control, but I like it for some reason, now I can close app without sliding my finger ,If only it would be faster. But hey, Improvement is always welcome Smiley Happy It would be nice if both touch and button control work together Smiley Happy

The Browser:

Rear Touchpad support is awesome, now I can surf web without having my finger on the screen all the time. The Page Up button help getting around the page faster. The Browser load a lot faster. Overall Better and faster browser, but then again, people would still be whining about the lack of Flash or something.

Video and Music:

Video now have the 1.5x Speed, the ability to control with button. I can finally rewind and fast-forward my video with button, I can change the next video I wanna see with a button press. As for Music, you can download the Playlist from your PS3 now. OVerall, Good, but may need some Improvement, PSP have that Moving Background when playing music and I would like to have it. 

Map Update:

Now have setting flag option. I don't use it and the Map App much often, but setting flags where I want to go is useful, I hope this could work as the GPS for the 3G Vita Smiley Happy

Cross-Controller:

No need to say, this is what I have been waiting for Smiley Happy I hope it work well over my laggy Wi-fi, but I would have to wait a few month to find out Smiley Happy since I want my first Cross-Controller Experience to come from a Vita and PS3 game, not some crappy PSOne game via Remote-play. Overall, since Remote-plat didn't get much attention, this could be the replacement for remote-play instead Smiley Happy

Slight Update in Notification and the ability to turn it off:

Not much a big deal, but if someone find it helpful, it's their opinion Smiley Happy

Finally, what you have all been "cough" ASKING "cough" FOR:

PSONE CLASSIC SUPPORT: 

Jesus, what a big deal. I didn't care about this before, since it's just a feature that both PSP and PS3 have, and I wouldn't care about this later on down the road. However it's nice to have such an update. Game will be available tommorow, new game will be added every week until we have all our PSOne game. Have fun people and stop demanding more please, be reasonable and enjoy it, Jesus, it's not like God is giving you Free Food, don't be OverHyped. I would be more happier if they dropped this crap and make PS2 Support instead, but to each his own, I digress Smiley Happy

That is all, I hope you guy have some fun, I know I would be, but it's not because of some crappy PSOne games, it would be because I can play PS3 and Vita games on both PS3 and Vita now Smiley Happy

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Tribute-to-Neil-Armstrong-Greatest-Man-Alive/m-p/38079055/message-uid/38079055#U38079055 Pay your respect Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 88 (2,310 Views)
I Only Post Everything
991 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Andy209 wrote:

There's quite a few of these scatterd so I'm creating this for forum members to post their likes/dislike, complaints, and so on. Please no spamming complaints or fighting / telling people their complaints are worthless. This will hopefully help Sony figure what to implement in their next big update. So without further ado...

I'm liking the Browser update, it seems Cookies are finally saving so that I don't have to relog every time I check the forums via my Vita.

The buttons implementation on the home screen are workable (no more need to smear your screen if you get sweaty hands like me after an hour of losing to Shao Khan in MK Man Mad), although I haven't found a way to scroll pages quickly with them. Fast page shifting with the L and R bumpers would be welcomed! 

I haven't seen much for PS1 support in the PS Store but I'm guessing this will come with tomorrow's afetrnoon update to PSN, so I'll be patient for now. I also understand a Sony Rep stated they will work on getting these in weekly. Let's hope we get our favorites on ASAP!

I haven't tried Cross-controller functionality yet but I will as soon as I get the chance because it looks pretty cool. SONY, if you are in fact reading this, I demand you continue to support this feature! I wanna control my invetory in TLOU with my Vita and also unlock secret junk!

That's pretty much all I got! Please discuss what you like/dislike about the 1.8 update and say stuff you'd like for a Sony representative to translate back to the big dogs.

nice post, it didnt annoy me haha, but just as a reminder, that chances of someone important reading these threads are slim to none, i t hink that there still is this playstation site where you can suggest ideas 'about different things, idk if its just for the ps3 but you could try suggesting things there and people vote on it by liking it or disliking it , you have a better chance there... i havent been on it in a while but im sure its still up, just search for it on google (sorry forgot the name)

Message 3 of 88 (2,279 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
413 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

You're refferring to the PSBlog. And I know about that but this is intended to be a collective thread for peoples' thoughts talking about what they like / dont like about v1.8. IMHO there is a good chance that this thread will be picked up by a representatitve provided it can holster valuable opinions. Also like USPGCweekly stated, it's a better place to post instead of creating countless "Update 1.8" threads. Any concerns, opinions, thoughts, etc. can be posted here in a clear coherent manner.

USPGCWeekly wrote:

Cross-Controller:

No need to say, this is what I have been waiting for Smiley Happy I hope it work well over my laggy Wi-fi, but I would have to wait a few month to find out Smiley Happy since I want my first Cross-Controller Experience to come from a Vita and PS3 game, not some crappy PSOne game via Remote-play. Overall, since Remote-plat didn't get much attention, this could be the replacement for remote-play instead Smiley Happy

I completely agree with this! 

Message 4 of 88 (2,271 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

Aug 28, 2012
No Sony employee read these post aside from MOD who rarely read them. And MOD are just small people working in a small office, they have no power to give this idea, or thread to the representative, I have put the link of this thread in my post, so don't thank me just yet, after all, I'm just cleaning the forum. Anyway, Share Blog is the only way
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Tribute-to-Neil-Armstrong-Greatest-Man-Alive/m-p/38079055/message-uid/38079055#U38079055 Pay your respect Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 88 (2,264 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Aug 28, 2012

I'm sure some benefited greatly from the update, but I honestly didn't expect much from it. I will say that the button funcionality is a plus, but I don't have a PS3, so I don't see much use from the Cross-controller function on my end. PS1 classic support is definitely a plus, and I hope for more games to be available later on. I haven't tried the browser, but I like the improvements they made to the Music and Video section.

All I want to see is better PSN integration on the Vita, but I'm sure that will be coming later.

Message 6 of 88 (2,260 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Fast page shifting on the home screen does work for me when I press the L and R buttons. Otherwise I love all the updates the Vita got with 1.80

Message 7 of 88 (2,257 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

CircleBoi6 wrote:

I'm sure some benefited greatly from the update, but I honestly didn't expect much from it. I will say that the button funcionality is a plus, but I don't have a PS3, so I don't see much use from the Cross-controller function on my end. PS1 classic support is definitely a plus, and I hope for more games to be available later on. I haven't tried the browser, but I like the improvements they made to the Music and Video section.

All I want to see is better PSN integration on the Vita, but I'm sure that will be coming later.

Nice seeing you again bro, How thing going, well, I honestly said this update is just a little plus, nothing extra, ALL I HOPE IS MOAR GAME

Message 8 of 88 (2,251 Views)
Sackboy
413 posts

Aug 28, 2012

craz3eddie66 wrote:

Fast page shifting on the home screen does work for me when I press the L and R buttons. Otherwise I love all the updates the Vita got with 1.80

Nice catch, you are correct. I was meaning for it to work for vertical page shifiting (as opposed to horizontal)  but good to know the bumpers are working quite well for something. Maybe the right stick (which I haven't found a use for in the menus) should work for vertical page shifting..

Message 9 of 88 (2,232 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 28, 2012

so far so good but how do you switch "discs" like FF7 for instance

Message 10 of 88 (2,220 Views)
0 Likes