First Son
8 posts

Re: The best gaming headset for the PS3?

Feb 2, 2013

I am disappointed with the Sony Pulse Elites.

FIrst, the sound is bad.  It's like listened to your audio over a telephone.  The various EQ's did nothing.  They have no low end at all.  Lows are simulated with the rumble feature. 

Comms are decent though for voice chat.  The on the fly mix is good.

The biggest problem is their failure rate.  I used mine 3-4 times.  I picked them up one day and got teh flashing blue light bug.  I went thorough teh recet procedures.  Nothing.  Let teh battery drain and the never charged up again.  These were not dropped or abused in any way.

If you search teh forums or google for "Sony Pulse Eliete flashing Blue" you'll find this is a common failure with teh cans, and Sony as usual is silent about it.

Basically, if you buy them, keep all packaging and your recielt, and make sure to get them somewhere witha  good return policy.

Message 71 of 101 (906 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
832 posts

WRe: The best gaming headset for the PS3?

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2013

I'm enjoying the Pulse Elites a lot. Bass impact is suttle for music, But in shooter mode you may want to turn Bass Impact down a bit for  racing and fighter modes also. Honestly only gripe I have with them is.. If using the bass Impact at high levels the battery goes kind of fast. I end up being able to use them for about 5 hours then charging. Wich you can charge while in use.With Bass Impact low they last 7 to 8 hours. I just charge them once a night. Every headset has it ups and downs. Astro are real nice also. Matter of fact I would have went with the Astro A50's if the mic boom was detachable for use with the Ps Vita.

Message 72 of 101 (896 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10062 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2013

@Pzycho242 

It is unfortunate that pulse is the headset everybody praises. Since they have Sonys name on them, there is a level of bias from the playstation community. It's interesting that while sony boasts about 7.1 virtual surround sound, The thing they fail to disclose is that it is only a two channel source. It's not like they are using something like Pro Logic IIX for the virtual effect. While they they might sound as good as people say, for a rather high price of 150.00, its really more of a novelty experience. For 150.00, you are getting more convenience than you are actual quality.

I get that people want official products but should the Pulse Elite really be their top of the line? I mean Sony did put a Toslink input in the back of the PS3. Why not make a headset that actually makes use of its benefits? Maybe a real 5.1 or 7.1 system? There is no reason they couldn't make something like this at 150.00 wired/$200.00 wireless so they are not selling people short who want an official headset.

Message 73 of 101 (875 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 3, 2013

The Pulse....  No doubt...  You put in a dongle in a USB port in the PS3, sit back and be amazed...  I know because I bought one for the low price of $150.00...

Message 74 of 101 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10062 posts

Feb 3, 2013
$150.00 isn't really all that low for 2 channel faux surround but then again you are paying more for wireless. Not sound quality.
Message 75 of 101 (857 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Feb 3, 2013
I prefer the Pulse headset , sure you could get a better one for a little more money, but the Pulse has the perfect balance between price and quality.
Message 76 of 101 (856 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10062 posts

Feb 3, 2013
But at the same time, the sound is inaccurate which makes it more of a novelty set compared to others in the same price range. And the worst thing of all is, if that little USB dongle gets lost or damaged, you pretty much have a $150.00 pair of earmuffs.

But the main thing I wonder is, if this same exact headset had the name Turtle Beach or Tritton branded on it instead of Sony, would it even have the same kind of hype from PS3 owners? I guess I have just never seen so many people crazed over an audio device that only uses a USB connection vs Toslink.
Message 77 of 101 (855 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 1, 2013

I got a Turtle Beach px5 and it is amazing, I got it refurbished for $130, but on march 5th Im going to try to upgrade to a px51. My px5 I have used for over a year now and in every game compatible with headsets it helps a ton. Like with our regular speakers we have very nice surround sound and I still prefer the headset even when watching movies. It is sturdy too like ill get mad sometimes and throw it and its till works perfectly haha.

Message 78 of 101 (705 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Apr 24, 2013

I have a Turtle Beach PX5. Sound is amazing but the mic sucks. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes ppl are telling me I keep breaking up. 

But maybe it's just mine. 

Message 79 of 101 (506 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 24, 2013

There seems to be some confusing posts here. For those who may come to this thread via Google searches or looking to purchase a headset, I hope you find this helpful to clarify a few items as I just did some extensive research (since I'll be purchasing a wireless headset this Thursday.

Turtle Beach Headsets

High end Turtle Beach headsets are great pieces of gear. Clearly they're the most popular and can be used on more than one console. The draw back to those headsets however, is they use the same wireless channel as WiFi and Cordless phones. If you're purchasing a pair, make sure the retailer offers a good return policy. Test your WiFi extensively while the headsets are in use to make sure they're not causing you interference. You may notice a drop in WiFi speed, poor mic quality on the headset, or reduced or poor signal on your cordless phones. Another drawback is cost. The better headsets can cost you quite a bit of money, and no matter which headset you buy, the Wifi / Cordless phone interference may still apply.

Sony Pulse

Not to be confused with Sony Pulse Elite headsets. These are much cheaper (approximately half the price). The sound quality is regarded as "tinny", which basically means the bass frequency doesn't punch through as well as it should. The sound quality dramatically reduces when the surround sound is used. Chances are, you'll end up going stereo with a Pulse headset, as that has slightly better bass response. The "Pulse" technology is also considered to be a gimmick on that headset, and doesn't really work well.

Sony Pulse Elite

This headset is the high end gamer version of the Pulse headset. Pulse works VERY well (according to reviews). The sound quality won't be as good as a $300 pair of gamer headsets, but it still packs a punch that makes it competitive even with those high priced headsets. The channel used is less common, so no concerns in regards to WiFi or cordless phone interference. The bass response is said to be obnoxious at high levels. This is a good thing since you can adjust this using sliders, and tweak the bass response and pulse technology to your liking. In this headset's case, the Pulse technology is not a gimmick and works very well (even in 7.1 surround sound). Many are already reporting they can hear exactly where others are located on the field (even minoir sounds such as footsteps approaching). Some games work better with Pulse technology of course. But this is a pro-audio design flaw attributed to those certain games and not the headset itself.

Here are links to the differences in reviews regarding the Pulse and Pulse Elites. You can see the clear differences as I have and make your decision based on those user reviews...

Pulse Reviews : http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Playstation-3/product-reviews/B0053OLY9O/ref=dp_top_cm...

Pulse Elite Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Edition-Wireless-Headset-PlayStation-3-63089006306200/product-reviews/B0087OZ5...

Message 80 of 101 (497 Views)