Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 26 2013
By: DeathCom Lombax Warrior 169 posts

The lack of support for Dualshock 3/SIXAXIS on the PS4.

10 replies 924 views Edited Feb 26, 2013

As most of you know, your current Dualshock 3 and or SIXAXIS controllers are scheduled for retirement along with your PS3. While I am thrilled to finally be seeing some new hardware, I do feel we need to rally some support for a controller backward compatibility cause.

While the Dualshock 4 can pretty much do anything a DS3/SIXAXIS can and then some, there is no technical reason we can't have backward compatibility with all PS3 controllers. We know this is entirely possible because the PS4 will also use Bluetooth AND already supports the Move controller. We fully understand that without a Dualshock 4 we won't be able to take advantage of many new concepts that are sure to be in many PS4 games. However, there are sure to be traditional genre games (or ports) that will likely to not use many of these new features and will work perfectly fine with existing PS3 controller hardware.  It's simple enough to even allow this choice to be made by the game publisherIf the game needs a touchpadthen the player needs a DS4it's just that simple. Most of us have already seen such warnings before a game starts in previous generations.

Taking this even further, many of us have bought specialized genre controllers. Such as custom built arcade sticks or steering wheels with pedal assemblies. Those things are not cheap! The DS4 is likely a capable controller, but it can not, and will not compare to playing Darkstalkers 4 (Ono-san **bleep**, why wasn't that announced?!) with a Sanwa arcade stick, or Drive Club with a Driving Force GT Racing Wheel. Sure, such genre specific controllers will be made again, but in today's economy, forcing us to buy this gear again feels like a rip off. Not to mention such controllers tend to clutter up a gaming area especially when we have redundant versions.

Sony, you modeled the PS4 based on the best ideas the PC had to offer. One of those ideas is broad support of peripherals. You really should reconsider support for PS3 certified controllers. Anything Sony can do to reward a PS3 fan and make the transition to PS4 as (financially) painless as possible will only benefit software sales in the end.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (924 Views)
Gaming Beast
2387 posts

Re: The lack of support for Dualshock 3/SIXAXIS on the PS4.

Feb 26, 2013

well speak for yourself because my ps3/DS3 has no schedule for retirement anytime soon.  why would it be compatible?  why would you want it to be? the whole point of next gen is to....be next gen.   why have more of the same?  they might as well just make the PS3-2 then. 

[/img]http://xivreborn.com/gen/Matchbox_Inferno_Exodus_General.jpg[/img]

http://xivreborn.com/gen/Matchbox_Inferno_Exodus_General.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (919 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1368 posts

Feb 26, 2013

If the DS3 controllers workd for most things in a PS4, people might be less hesitant to buy a console multiplayer PS4 game that had features the PS4 supported.

Many people who also found themselves only playing games that didn't have features in the new controller, might also buy DS3's because they might be cheaper. 

Assuming those things are true, how would that be good for Sony?

cirkustanz
Metroidvania is my favorite style of game...Would love a sequel to Harmony of Despair!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (914 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8325 posts

Feb 26, 2013

I support this thread.

I have like 7-8 PS3 controllers, would be nice to still use some of them as backups.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (894 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8325 posts

Feb 26, 2013

Cirkustanz wrote:

If the DS3 controllers workd for most things in a PS4, people might be less hesitant to buy a console multiplayer PS4 game that had features the PS4 supported.

Many people who also found themselves only playing games that didn't have features in the new controller, might also buy DS3's because they might be cheaper. 

How could it be bad for Sony if people keep buying DS3 controllers?  Sony sells them, Sony makes money.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (893 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2387 posts

Feb 26, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Cirkustanz wrote:

How could it be bad for Sony if people keep buying DS3 controllers?  Sony sells them, Sony makes money.

because a DS4 controller will probably be 10 bucks or more than a DS3.  its going to have a touch scree, speaker, headset jack.  i listened to the playstation blog today.  good info on there

[/img]http://xivreborn.com/gen/Matchbox_Inferno_Exodus_General.jpg[/img]

http://xivreborn.com/gen/Matchbox_Inferno_Exodus_General.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (883 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24689 posts

Feb 26, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

I support this thread.

I have like 7-8 PS3 controllers, would be nice to still use some of them as backups.

Of course you do....

Did it ever occur to some of you that there would be functions built into the newer games that you wouldn't be able to access using an older controller? What good would it do you to have a controller that you can't even use to quit out of a game? Oh wait, I forgot... Sony are meanie, greedy, poopie heads!! That's more like it! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (873 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3101 posts

Feb 27, 2013
What your forgetting in why the DS3 isn't a good idea. Maybe the DS4 using some of the new functions like the touch pad for the main OS. Or the light on the controller for something. Also the DS4 is upgraded with better use from the DS3 functions. I have gone through like 6 DS3 controllers. Let a friend old a og ds3 and never got it back, 2 others had gotten stolen like the 1st time ever white edition I had to pay $75 from play Asia . My other og ps3 controller stopped working, bought a black and red ds3 and the black one preese buttons by itself and the red one triggers get stuck with a clicking sound. I will be HAPPY to get a upgraded controller
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (863 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
259 posts

May 12, 2014
PS2 could use PS1 controllers, Wii could use GameCube controllers, Wii U can use Wii Remotes. So why can't PS4 use PS3 controllers?
PlayStation Network: PS_man1984
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3809 posts

[ Edited ]
May 12, 2014

DeathCom wrote:

While the Dualshock 4 can pretty much do anything a DS3/SIXAXIS can and then some, there is no technical reason we can't have backward compatibility with all PS3 controllers. We know this is entirely possible because the PS4 will also use Bluetooth AND already supports the Move controller.

See, there is a techincal reason. The DS3 was designed/manufactured before the Move controller. The DS3 uses an older, incompatible Bluetooth spec while the Move uses a "newer" spec that just gets past the DS3 incompatibility. That's why you can only connect the DS4 to the PS3 by USB only; incompatible bluetooth stacks. DS4 came with a built-in workaround because they worked backwards with it. Coding isn't just as simple as "they both use bluetooth".

Edit: Just noticed the necro-bump by the user above. I thought this convo was old as hell...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (261 Views)
0 Likes