Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 21 2014
By: smugglin_yoyos Uncharted Territory 1324 posts

The most honest and truthful forum post you will read.

[ Edited ]
41 replies 577 views Edited Aug 22, 2014

Myself like many of you are noticing the downward spiral of gaming right now.

Many games are being over hyped and advertised to limits which they cannot full fill.

Games are being taken out of developers hands and controlled by men and women in suits whom have never picked up a controller.

More money is being spent on advertising to sell games anymore than money going into a game that functions to the expectations that we as next gen gamers want to see.

I'm really starting to think that F2P game development companies may hold any true future for gaming.

Think of gaming as a bottle of wine at a vineyard.

You don't purchase that bottle before getting several tastes, and that wine sells itself. Word of mouth goes further than slapping fancy photos up of celebrities holding up that bottle.

We do not need to re-live 1983.

This trend needs to stop now.

I leave you with a quote from Zombie studio developer Kripling, which is one of the most honest down to earth no holds barred posts I have ever read on this forum or any other.

This was a response from a post I made on their forum about F2P gaming.

Kripling wote :

" I will say that F2P does get a bad name from time to time.  However, I want to share my perspective as a developer. 

I think a lot of F2P's bad name comes from publishers and developers being perceived as "milking" the players for money.  They feel like they get hoodwinked because they got the game, liked the game, and then at some point are confronted with something they want and can't get it unless they pay.  As a gamer, I have been there.  Or like the OP said, there is a pay to win mentality where you have to spend money in order to compete and that just kills the idea of it being free to play. 

First, for a game like Blacklight, I will be blunt - yes we are trying to make money.  That is critical as it allows us to stay in business and provides us with the means to be game developers plying our craft, creating cool worlds, gameplay experiences and fun encounters for our fans. Granted, free to play is only one way to do that. 

But what I really love about F2P, is that at the end of the day, a lot of the success and failures of the game, rest on the shoulders of the developer.  As a developer, this is really exciting.  Suddenly, it is developers who are making decisions normally left to business people with MBAs and suits.  F2P means that we are the ones who are making decisions in the development of the game to try and figure out how to generate revenue that will let us stay in business and keep our jobs (while also ensuring the game is fun for everyone, because realize that 90% of your players will probably never spend a dime).  It is us who are making decisions that will inspire people to financially commit to the title.  It is us, who are responsible for converting users from a "demo" or "free" state to a paid state. 

This is a big contrast to your traditional game market, where the price is set by the publisher, and is based on their budget, profits and losses analysis, size of their marketing budget they are willing to commit, their portfolio and frankly a bunch of business people.  

It is also a contrast with where the "monetization" of the end user occurs.  In retail and non-f2p it is not often in the hands of the developer, its in the hands of a marketing department.  (And even "demos" like those you see at E3, are typically engineered for marketing pow, rather than gameplay and players.)  What convinces a gamer to spend money on a retail game? Lots of things, but some of them include: Screenshots requested and staged by marketing/PR types; Video trailers made by video trailer companies; Box art made by a marketing department; Reviews and previews written by magazines who were courted by marketing and PR types or by marketing spends on advertisements at the magazine. 

Granted you need to have good art to get good screenshots and trailers (unless you do a cinematic trailer).  And you need to have a good game to get a good review and stuff like that. 

But at the end of the day, the actual act of getting someone to pick up a box and spend money is more often than not, left in the hands of people who quite frankly, don't care about the game.  They care to the extent that it is one more game in their portfolio of games slated to come out this financial quarter.  But they did not pour their blood sweat and tears into the game. 

Whereas with F2P, the a much larger share of the responsibility of making the game a success - financially - and the ability to sustain itself, is in the hands of the developer.  Which is an awesome responsibility, a lot scary, pretty interesting and very challenging.  And that is cool. 

And what I love most, is that it also means that at the end of the day, the end user is the one who is being empowered.  They don’t have to decide based on a trailer, a screenshot, a review or word of mouth, as to whether the game is worth their 29.99 or 59.99 or not.  Instead, they get to PLAY the game, FOR AS LONG AS THEY WANT, before they decide if they want to spend any money or not.  And if they do, they can basically spend what they want to spend (think humble bundle).  They can choose to drop $1 or $100.  Really, they can spend what they feel the game is worth to them.  They are not forced into a $59.99 price point. 

So those are a few things that I really like about F2P.  I think it empowers the end user and really puts control in their court.  I also like that it shifts responsibility for a game's success onto the developer, and away from things like "well did they market it well"? (granted, games still do need marketing to drive awareness and downloads, but point stands). 

There are others as well, but I have typed enough already. "

I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (577 Views)
First Son
26 posts

Re: The most honest and truthful forum post you will read.

Aug 21, 2014
Didn't Read 😁😒
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (556 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Aug 21, 2014

Yep I agree, but the problem is, when a business gets as big as the gaming industry is right now and when you are dealing with these amounts of revenue and profits, there's really nothing you can do to prevent this. Deadlines,  sponsorship deals, advertising, licensing etc. All these things that have nothing to do with core gaming itself  unfortunately are a necessaty nowadays to even get your product on the market and make a profit. And you need profit because without it you can't even exist.

Many programmers and studios have the heart in the right place, but there freedom will always be limited to lesser or bigger extent to these external business factors.

the only real thing you can do is stop buying these games you dislike alltogether. but that's easier said than done

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (550 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11446 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 22, 2014

Thank you for the heads up! I decided to locate the actual post so that I could give it Kudos/Likes.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Blacklight-Retribution-General/The-Free-to-Play-game-conflict...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (521 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9601 posts

Aug 22, 2014
I hate to say it but I would put more blame on the gamers. This might be a harsh reality but today's gamers don't generally buy good games
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (516 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1324 posts

Aug 22, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I decided to locate the post so that I could give it Kudos/Likes.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Blacklight-Retribution-General/The-Free-to-Play-game-conflict...

Thanx poison.

When a post like this comes out from a dev, it needs to be seen.

Many games are lacking any real communication from developers to their customers, but when a dev posts some thing like this - a real no holds barred actual post, it needs to be seen.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (512 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
228 posts

Aug 22, 2014
I don't agree with this at all its not the devs fault for over hyped games its the community that needs to change
[URL=http://psnprofiles.com/MLGNINJATURTLE][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/MLGNINJATURTLE.png[/IMG][/URL]
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (494 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Aug 22, 2014

What ever happened to GTA?  It's nice they're working on an online mode, but they're bombing the singleplayer experience, and their microtransaction system has been pushing people away from the online aspect as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2211 posts

Aug 22, 2014

sandman1__ wrote:
Didn't Read 😁😒

Good thing..

30 minutes later, I'm still trying to figure out what the post is about.  

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (481 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1324 posts

Aug 22, 2014

MLGNINJATURTLE wrote:
I don't agree with this at all its not the devs fault for over hyped games its the community that needs to change

Actually you are agreeing with me.

I'm not saying it's the dev's.

Follow what SweetPoison wrote.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (474 Views)
0 Likes