Highlighted
Feb 26 2013
By: OOWeapon First Son 2 posts

Trophy notification on/off switch why not?

12 replies 182 views Edited Feb 26, 2013

First before you say that the "Display Notification" option exists I already know that and I also know that the trophy notifications still appear with it set to off. I am also aware of the fifty other forum thread about this same thing as well but here's why I think it should an option.

For some people I know it's no big deal that they're there but as for me, I don't really like them. I find that trophy notifications tend to beak the immersion for a lot of games, pop in while in the middle of a cutscene when or I'm trying to pay attention to what being said. I don't really understand why this option doesn't already exist or why I've seen so many people opposed to it.

It would be an option that would improve the game for those who don't want to have the notifications to appear and not affect those who do. So why are so many people against it?

Message 1 of 13 (182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39135 posts

Re: Trophy notification on/off switch why not?

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2013
Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

OOWeapon wrote:

First before you say that the "Display Notification" option exists I already know that and I also know that the trophy notifications still appear with it set to off. I am also aware of the fifty other forum thread about this same thing as well but here's why I think it should an option.

Yet still you felt the need to make another!

For some people I know it's no big deal that they're there but as for me, I don't really like them. I find that trophy notifications tend to beak the immersion for a lot of games, pop in while in the middle of a cutscene when or I'm trying to pay attention to what being said. I don't really understand why this option doesn't already exist or why I've seen so many people opposed to it.

I find that a lot, not all but a lot of the trophy notifications appear at a stage of the game where there is not much happening, in any event the trophy noise/notification (something I like anyway) & little box appearing does not disctract me one bit, in fact I like it, it is there for a few seconds & it's not like it's appearing in the middle of the screen!

It would be an option that would improve the game for those who don't want to have the notifications to appear and not affect those who do. So why are so many people against it?

See above!

If you want to suggest it you can go to the PS Blogshare website
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 13 (175 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Feb 26, 2013

I find that a lot, not all but a lot of the trophy notifications appear at a stage of the game where there is not much happening, in any event the trophy noise/notification (something I like anyway) & little box appearing does not disctract me one bit, in fact I like it, it is there for a few seconds & it's not like it's appearing in the middle of the screen!

It's good that you don't find the notification distracting but others kinda do and your explaination doesn't why it's so bad to have as an option for those who don't want the pop-up to show.

Thanks for the link to the blog though.

Message 3 of 13 (160 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 20, 2013

2 years ago I acquired a PS3 and have enjoyed collecting and playing a few games. I recently decided to expand my collection, and bought a game that had some DLC... upon hooking it up to the internet and giving it all the updates, I have found my gameplay experience to be interrupted every 5-10min by a rather loud and annoying ding, and a distracting grey pop-up, and hence terrible. With no way to turn this off, I'm now regretting my recent purchase of a PS3 games and am greatly disappointed at the inability to play them without pop-up advertisements of my "accomplishments". With the PS4 around the corner and it being very unlikely that it will have backwards compatibility, let alone the ability to turn this off, I fear the PS3 and future Sony systems are nothing more than bricks to be stored or thrown away until such a time when Sony adds the ability to play the games so graciously made for/on its system unplagued by such immersion-breaking notifications.

I love and would love to play many a game that is PS3 exclusive. In so much that I had 20 or so in my online cart, and was planning on buying every one of them and more over the course of this year. Now I feel rather cheated, and greatly frustrated, at my foolishness for blindly trusting that this option, that was there by default, would remain there if I updated my system.

Message 4 of 13 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54755 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Shade-151 wrote:

2 years ago I acquired a PS3 and have enjoyed collecting and playing a few games. I recently decided to expand my collection, and bought a game that had some DLC... upon hooking it up to the internet and giving it all the updates, I have found my gameplay experience to be interrupted every 5-10min by a rather loud and annoying ding, and a distracting grey pop-up, and hence terrible. With no way to turn this off, I'm now regretting my recent purchase of a PS3 games and am greatly disappointed at the inability to play them without pop-up advertisements of my "accomplishments". With the PS4 around the corner and it being very unlikely that it will have backwards compatibility, let alone the ability to turn this off, I fear the PS3 and future Sony systems are nothing more than bricks to be stored or thrown away until such a time when Sony adds the ability to play the games so graciously made for/on its system unplagued by such immersion-breaking notifications.

I love and would love to play many a game that is PS3 exclusive. In so much that I had 20 or so in my online cart, and was planning on buying every one of them and more over the course of this year. Now I feel rather cheated, and greatly frustrated, at my foolishness for blindly trusting that this option, that was there by default, would remain there if I updated my system.

I'm sorry to hear that a little pop up for ~2 seconds ruins your experience.

Who knows maybe Sony will do what you ask on the PS4.  I personally wouldn't want the option, I don't see the need for it, but I get it you don't like distractions from the game experience and it aggrivates you that you can't shut it off. 

Message 5 of 13 (119 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 20, 2013

I personally never thought of it in that way, the notifications that is.

I am always amused by Trophy Notifications for Trophies anyone could earn just by mashing the buttons.

"Congratulations, You have Earned Bronze Feet, for walking tens steps."Smiley LOL

They don't bother me that much though.  Sorry to hear of your troubles.  BRIT had a fine suggestion about the Blog.  WHile suggestions get seen here in the Forum, the Blog does get a little more attention for things like this.

As PLYMCO has said, it may be something they could do for the PS4.  You never know.Smiley Happy

Ooh.  I just got a Trophy for Typing Ten Words!  BONUS!

Moble

Message 6 of 13 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2547 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Shade-151 wrote:

I'm sorry this completely ruins your gameplay experience. But after awhile you'll get used to it. I actually have the opposite affect being if a trophy notification doesn't pop up I get disheartened. Smiley Sad I hate glitches.

photo IMG_0586_zps94omlljp.jpg
Message 7 of 13 (112 Views)
Platinum
54755 posts

Mar 20, 2013

yeah i actually like the ding, it makes me smile knowing I'm one trophy closer to catching back up to you darth!  Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 13 (108 Views)
Survivor
2547 posts

Mar 20, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

yeah i actually like the ding, it makes me smile knowing I'm one trophy closer to catching back up to you darth!  Smiley Tongue

Pff. As if. Smiley Wink

photo IMG_0586_zps94omlljp.jpg
Message 9 of 13 (97 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

yea ok. a 2 second ding/trophy in the corner of the screen is a big deal. the game world is imploding with all these silly complaints.Its beyond petty. there was a post earlier about how someone didnt like the way their controller vibrates. idk the littlest things distract people.

Message 10 of 13 (92 Views)
0 Likes