Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 29 2013
By: wrau1 First Son 4 posts

Trouble getting 3D to work.

5 replies 143 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

Just bought a new Asus VG278H 27-Inch 3D Full-HD LED Monitor today. Hooked up my pc to the DVI port and my PS3 to the HDMI port. I ran the install wizard to setup the 3D on my pc, stereoscopic 3d was installed and works great. Now I wanted to play Black Ops 2 on my PS3. Went through the PS3 display settings to setup 3D on the PS3, it told me I was 3D ready and asked me to set the size of the screen. I did all that. I go into Black Ops 2 and in the options section I can see choose from one of the 3D options - Anaglyph or Active/Passive. I tried playing on both but neither work. When I select Active/Passive, the game play distorts like it should be in 3D but when I put my glasses on (which are charged) it's still the same distorted picture. Anyone got any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Re: Trouble getting 3D to work.

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013
I don't mess with the headache that is 3D. All I can see coming out of it is extra processing time since it has to render the picture twice. The only thing I can suggest is trying to upgrade your HDMI cable to one that's designed for double rendering (I had to do that for 3D Blu-Ray at work).
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2447 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

I'm picking up a new 3D TV today so If I have any tips or see something you missed I will let you know. I have new HDMI cables that are designed for 3D I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes as far as your issue goes or not though.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (129 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3333 posts

Mar 29, 2013

wrau1 wrote:

Just bought a new Asus VG278H 27-Inch 3D Full-HD LED Monitor today. Hooked up my pc to the DVI port and my PS3 to the HDMI port. I ran the install wizard to setup the 3D on my pc, stereoscopic 3d was installed and works great. Now I wanted to play Black Ops 2 on my PS3. Went through the PS3 display settings to setup 3D on the PS3, it told me I was 3D ready and asked me to set the size of the screen. I did all that. I go into Black Ops 2 and in the options section I can see choose from one of the 3D options - Anaglyph or Active/Passive. I tried playing on both but neither work. When I select Active/Passive, the game play distorts like it should be in 3D but when I put my glasses on (which are charged) it's still the same distorted picture. Anyone got any ideas?

I've been looking at that same monitor, considering it. I've read enough to say you aren't alone, having problems with it and your PS3. Mostly the solution seems to be using a very good HDMI cable, something 3D Highspeed Bandwidth capable.

I personally have the Sony Playstation 3D Display. It works for everything I've tried, movie or game, any hdmi cable.

Nvidia is not working with this monitor though. I can watch Bluray movies on my PC, 3D or not, with it, but they won't let me turn on 3D gaming, not that I WANT to. I want to use 3D for Pictures though, and they won't let me.

I don't LOVE this monitor, so I wanted to get a second one, like the one you are talking about that would be more for my PC and use this Sony Playstation 3D Display for my PS3.

At any rate I don't have experience with the Asus, I do though know how my 3D works. The Sony monitor has an emitter built into the bottom right side of the frame. If 3D is emitting, I can see that and know it's working.

I have a Panasonic 3D Plasma in the living room. There is no visual emitter and you have to rely on it "just working" as long as the glasses are on, and the right settings have been chosen, it works. My Sony gives me a crutch to lean on, those red dots. 

So the Asus and the Nvidia Vision kit are what you work with. Knowing Nvidia , you need the best hdmi cable you can afford to get. A highspeed hdmi rated to handle 3D is said by a lot of folks online to have cured 3D problems like yours.

The main check for you though, are you sure the glasses are "connected" to the emitter. All active shutter glasses need to be charged, on and paired/synced, or whatever you might call it.

Of course you are also only talking about one game, one that I have nothing to do with. :robothappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 29, 2013

I charged the glasses all the way full and they work on my PC. I never had to pair/sync/connect them to the emitter, at least the connection wizard never told me to. I could try changing my HDMI cord but it's already a 30v High Speed Cord. I don't know, I bought this monitor mainly to play PS3 on while having a decent PC monitor. If I can't get this to work, I might just send it back and order the PS3 3D Display for 1/3 the price of the monitor...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (114 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 29, 2013

I got it to work by reading an Asus forum in which other people had the same problem. I had to start up CoD, enable the active/passive 3d, wait for it to reset then unplug my monitor from the wall. I then waited 20 secs and plugged it back in. If done correctly, the 3D symbol on the emitter ontop of the monitor should be lit up and you're then good to go. CoD in 3D is amazing.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (101 Views)
0 Likes