MVP Support
5067 posts

Re: Trying To Understand The Complaints

Jun 17, 2013

Blue-Eyed-Sword wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Id hate to have the PS4 be BC b/c I do not want to pay for a feature I'll never use. My entertainment set up has enough room for 2 consoles, I have pleanty of HDMI ports in my TV for 2 consoles so if I want to play PS3 games I just turn it on and play. It would be a useless feature for me and I would not want to pay for it.

Kinda like how stupid it is to bundle the Kenict 2 w/ the XB1 and force everyone to pay for it even if you would never want to use it.

That's entirely understandable. I always wanted Sony to release 2 SKU's, a higher priced SKU with full backwards compatibility for those who want it, and a lower priced SKU with no BC for those who don't want it. But as I said, I am not mad at Sony and have accepted that the PS4 is not BC. Smiley Happy

Having 2 SKUs were increase manufacturing costs, because they would be build 2 completely different consoles. Overall, it's not worth it on Sony's end.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 41 of 116 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
944 posts

Jun 17, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

Blue-Eyed-Sword wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Id hate to have the PS4 be BC b/c I do not want to pay for a feature I'll never use. My entertainment set up has enough room for 2 consoles, I have pleanty of HDMI ports in my TV for 2 consoles so if I want to play PS3 games I just turn it on and play. It would be a useless feature for me and I would not want to pay for it.

Kinda like how stupid it is to bundle the Kenict 2 w/ the XB1 and force everyone to pay for it even if you would never want to use it.

That's entirely understandable. I always wanted Sony to release 2 SKU's, a higher priced SKU with full backwards compatibility for those who want it, and a lower priced SKU with no BC for those who don't want it. But as I said, I am not mad at Sony and have accepted that the PS4 is not BC. Smiley Happy

Having 2 SKUs were increase manufacturing costs, because they would be build 2 completely different consoles. Overall, it's not worth it on Sony's end.

Not to mention the demands of having 2 SKU's at launch. That would be a LOT of work

Message 42 of 116 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54531 posts

Jun 17, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

Devil's Advovate.

Multiplayer should be free. I shouldn't have to pay for all the other features when I don't want them. Son'y lied to us about multiplayer always being free.

I have limited space and don't have room for every console. I want one console to play all my games.

This is basically where I'm at.  I think they should have a 2 tiered service, a free one and one (included with plus) that you pay for to get features like sharing and cross game chat that people want (which cost money to provide/maint).

I already pay for plus so for me personally, its not a big deal as I wasn't cancelling, but its more a "principle" thing to me

Message 43 of 116 (101 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Basically what it comes down to is that Sony has built this console for those who are ready for the next generation in gaming. Those who are ready to move beyond the PS3. For those who are not ready for that then keep playing your PS3 until you feel as though you have had your fill. To provide us with the cheapest console as possible Sony did the right thing.

The real complaint here should not be about the PS4 not being BC but why Sony decided to move away from the cell processor and go w/ the AMD chipset ( I'm glad they did ) but arguing about the BC option is a moot point when your dealing with AMD VS a Cell processor so in fact the BC dilemma goes much deeper then just the PS4 not being BC

Message 44 of 116 (93 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5067 posts

Jun 17, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

Devil's Advovate.

Multiplayer should be free. I shouldn't have to pay for all the other features when I don't want them. Son'y lied to us about multiplayer always being free.

I have limited space and don't have room for every console. I want one console to play all my games.

This is basically where I'm at.  I think they should have a 2 tiered service, a free one and one (included with plus) that you pay for to get features like sharing and cross game chat that people want (which cost money to provide/maint).

I already pay for plus so for me personally, its not a big deal as I wasn't cancelling, but its more a "principle" thing to me

The problem with this is Plus members are then footing the bill for the better servers that non plus members will be on. I honestly don't care one way or another, but it could possibly start a bigger outcry than what's happening now.

Live Chat
Message 45 of 116 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Jun 17, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

Devil's Advovate.

The problem with this is Plus members are then footing the bill for the better servers that non plus members will be on. I honestly don't care one way or another, but it could possibly start a bigger outcry than what's happening now.

How are non plus members going to be using the same servers as plus members when they wont be able to play online and use those servers?

Message 46 of 116 (89 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5067 posts

Jun 17, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

basicly what it comes down to is that Sony has built this console for those who are ready for the next generation in gaming. Those who are ready to move beyond the PS3. For those who are not ready for that then keep playing your PS3 until you feel as though you have had your fill. To provide us with the cheapest console as possible Sony did the right thing.

The real complaint here should not be about the PS4 not being BC but why Sony decided to move away from the cell processor and go w/ the AMD chipset ( I'm glad they did ) but arging about the BC option is a moot point when your dealing with AMD VS a Cell processor so in fact the BC delima goes much deeper then just the PS4 not being BC

The bright side: This should make the PS5 BC.

It's like Sony is start over. This a new beginning for them, and they should have called the Playstation One.

Live Chat
Message 47 of 116 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5067 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

Devil's Advovate.

How are non plus members going to be using the same servers as plus members when they wont be able to play online and use those servers?

I was applying that a scenario of multiplayer free for everyone, and plus members getting the other online benefits like streaming.

Live Chat
Message 48 of 116 (83 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Will the PS4 be using Gaikai servers for online play?

Message 49 of 116 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Blue-Eyed-Sword wrote:

Will the PS4 be using Gaikai servers for online play?

No word yet, but, I doubt it.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 50 of 116 (63 Views)
0 Likes