By: da1writer PlayStation MVP 5313 posts
  • Find more conversations like this:
  • Other

[Tutorial] PLYR1 Setup and Troubleshooting

[ Edited ]
48 replies 7121 views Edited Oct 25, 2014
PLYR1_HOMEPAGE_tile2_650x2502.jpg

Official Site: http://www.skullcandy.com/plyr-1

Skullcandy, known for years for their great designs in headgear of all sorts but horrible in the sound department through and through to audiophiles everywhere, that all changed the day they bought Astro . Following the release of the A50's in 2012, Skullcandy scooped them up and had them immediately work on three headsets. We won't talk of the other two here but their flagship one is the Plyr1's. A hidden gem that many gloss over due to the Skullcandy name but if anyone did their research , they would find out that the only thing touched by Skullcandy was the design of the headset, but the drivers, sound signature, and overall internal and software tech inside the Plyr1's is all Astro's doing. While the A50's are heavily criticized by the Audiophile community for being a bit too bassy (which overpowers the rest of the audio at times), the Plyr1's have an overall crystal clear Treble and Mid's with a punchy bass that is not overbearing whatsoever, which gives you exceptionally great balance of sound quailty (Here's what audiophiles from Head-fi have to say about the two).

Besides the sound quailty, you get a very spacious Dolby 7.1 surround sound, wireless functionality that has considerably far range coverage, being able to choose between how much chat or game audio you want through the Mixer via the analog stick on the headset, and a boom mic that mutes when you flip it up, what else could you want? Well, an EQ switch is also on one side of the cup that switches between balanced audio, Treble boost (for finding those footsteps in shooters), and bass boost (for those who love more explosive destruction in their face).  All this sounds like the headset should be worth $300, yet it doesn't even go into that range by giving all an affordable $180 price tag.

Sounds like the perfect headset with the blessing of audiophiles as well apparently but there are a few snags along the way that many have encountered or are encountering that I wish to help through my own experience. A great detail of solutions to better your gaming audio narvana and hope you find helpful.

So let's get started on the first step that should solve the majority problems all get when they first hook the Plyr1's to their PS4, time for a...

1. Firmware Update

So the Firmware update Fixes three things: Mic Sensitivity, the Mixer, and allowing seperation between chat and game audio. Mic Input volume has been a problem since the headset released but more pronounced when playing on the PS4 with titles like BF4 and the like for party/game chat. The firmware update increases mic sensitivity for the better. Now as for the Mixer, many complained that the analog would merely be a master volume no matter what you did; Up, down, left, right, made no difference, fustrating to say the least. The Firmware update fixes this by allowing the Mixer act as it was intended, which now you can choose between how much Chat or Game audio you'd like. Finally, the one that made all Plyr1 owner's run out to buy the Chat Cable from Turtle Beach, seperation between chat and game audio was a bust, didn't work without the chat cable. If you wanted to adjust the chat volume to an audible volume for your yourself and have your friends hear you (yes, it was broken both ways), you needed the chat cable in order to fix it ie the headset became semi-wireless as you had to hook the headset to your controller now. The firmware fixes this by allowing everyone to choose "Chat Only" in the Output to Headphones setting (more on this later), which was originally grayed out before the firmware update.

Firmware Update instrucitons:

1. Download the .zip archive file for Windows and the .dmg file for Mac users below.
  1. ....Continue to the next step.
  2. Extract the .zip archive/.dmg file to a folder on your computer (the .zip and .dmg contains two files, the firmware file and the updater .exe file)
  3. Run the .exe file in the extracted folder
  4. Follow the instruction prompts in the software

Software prompts in detail:

• Plug the headset and transmitter into two separate USB ports on the computer
  • Click update
  • Pair the headset and transmitter

2. Setting up the Headset Properly

The above video is for the PS3 but setup is almost the same for the PS4 (at least the biginning) but I'll explain below along with a more detailed setup later. Some setup their headset incorrectly and run into issues where they get no sound and come to find out they plug in their optical cable into the "Opt Out", which is only for those who want a pass-through to their home theatre setup. Follow these steps and you should be good.

To connect the PLYR 1 to the PS4:

1. Connect the Optical cable to the PLYR 1 GMX Transmitter through the “Opt In” port on the back of the transmitter, and the “Digital Out” (Optical Port) on the back of the PS4.
  2. Connect the usb power cable to either of the usb ports on the front of the console.
  3. Power on both the headset and GMX Transmitter

PLYR 1 Game Audio PS4:

When a new headset with mic is plugged in it should recognize device. 

1. Select User and hit “X” to Enter. You should now be looking at the “Home Screen” , run a quick test to make sure mic is being picked up, say “Playstation” and wait for Mic controls to show at the bottom of the screen. 
  2. Now at the “Home Screen” , go to the Settings menu, press X and go in this order by pressing X on each: 

[Sound and Screen] > [Audio Output Settings] > [Audio Format (Priority)] >

Select Bitstream (Dolby) but do NOT select Bitstream (DTS), you can damage your headset if this is selected.

3. Chat and Game Audio Seperation Settings

plyr1-feature-stick.jpg 

Before the firmware update, the Mixer acted like a Master volume but after the update, you can now choose how much chat or game audio you want. Before you can do this though, you need to set up the headset to make it work by forcing the game audio through the optical and the USB used for chat only. Sounds complicated but it's quite easy and here's how.

Go to Settings.

20140608173200.jpg

Then Sound and Screen.

20140608173744.jpg

Audio Output Settings.

20140608173754.jpg

Make sure the next settings match this screen below. You should have an option to choose between  "All Audio" and "Chat Audio" for Output to Microphone. Choose Chat Audio.

20140608173838.jpg

Now if the Output to Microphone settings is grayed out, you installed the firmware incorrectly. Reinstall the Firmware again.

20140510_014027.jpg

Make sure System Music is on and be in Party Chat to test to make sure you are able to hear your game and Chat. Hold the analog to G until you hear two beeps, you may have to hold upfor volume as well. Then gradually press left until you hear one beep and adjust the audio/chat Mic to your liking.

4. Chat Volume Sensitivity

Skullcandy-PLYR-1-Wireless-Headset-2.jpg

Now the one big gripe some had, especially when the PS4 came out, was that games like Battlefiels 4 and more had issues with the Plyr1's mic input sensitivity. Thankfully this has been addressed by not just Skullcandy's Firmware update but moreso Sony's PlayStation 1.7 update which provided a Mic Sensitivity option in the settings menu. Here's how to fix this mic issue if you friends can't hear you or they says you sound too loud.

Go to Settings again.

20140608173200.jpg

Go to Devices.

20140608173246.jpg

Go to Audio Devices.

20140608173307.jpg

Then select Microphone Level.

20140608173338.jpg

Now balance the sensitivity of your Mic, not too soft (yellow) but not too loud (too much in the red). The settings that worked for me are below.

20140608173357.jpg

You should be golden now and fully setup and fixed the mjority of issues the Plyr1's may give you or may have already.  If your headset has no audio, you may have to reinstall the firmware again, unplug the Transmitter from the PS4 mutilple times until it registers, or even resync the headset to the transmitter. Otherwise you shouldn't run into any other problems but be sure to let me know if you do or more so if you like your headset! I'll provide a few links to the Plyr1's inside this forum but hope everyone who is getting the Plyr1's are directed here! Thanks for reading, hope it helps new owners and current owners alike, happy gaming!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Skullcandy-PLYR1-Headset-Is-Fantastic/td-...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Kraken-7-1-vs-Sony-gold-headset/m-p/43649...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/REVIEW-Skullcandy-PLYR1-Gaming-Headset/td...

Screen-Shot-2013-06-07-at-10.29.17-AM.png
Message 1 of 49 (7,121 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6220 posts

Re: [Tutrial] PLYR1 Setup and Troubleshooting

Jun 8, 2014
Typo in title...
~Reported~
Message 2 of 49 (7,089 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5313 posts

Jun 9, 2014
Message 3 of 49 (7,064 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
809 posts

Jun 9, 2014

Great guide Writer. Quick note:  my PLYR1 came with the latest Firmware. Was pretty happy about that. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 4 of 49 (7,044 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Re: [Tutorial] PLYR1 Setup and Troubleshooting

Jun 28, 2014

Hi i would just like to comment on the plyR1 setup and troubleshooting i think  its a great headset the only thing that im noticeing when i bought it is a bit of static or cracking when talking in the party chat on ps4 dont understand I've tried everything to stop it if u could help me with any suggestion's on how too fix it would be greatly apprehensive thanks 

Message 5 of 49 (6,979 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 3, 2014

So when the chat thing is grayed out. why do i have to reinstall the firmware again?

Message 6 of 49 (6,911 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5313 posts

Jul 3, 2014

lil_momo26 wrote:

So when the chat thing is grayed out. why do i have to reinstall the firmware again?

The firmware update for the PLYR1 allows you to choose between the Chat Only and All Audio. Chat Only seeing allows you to have full control of your audio through the headset controls which allows to go choose how much chat or game audio you want - the way the headset was meant to be used.  All Audio has you at the mercy of what the console forces you to use with no exception, controls on the headset become a mastery volume only -  the very reason the PLYR1's were returned at first. If the firmware isn't installed or is not up to date for the PLYR1,  the option to choose between Chat Only and All Audio will be grayed out and All Audio will be [forced]  automatically on (this is not what you want). Reinstalling the PLYR1 firmware will fix the problem (this is not the PS4 firmware I'm talking about btw) .  Upgrading the PLYR1's firmware is quite easy too, guide above explains it will I hope... 

Message 7 of 49 (6,902 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5313 posts

Re: [Tutorial] PLYR1 Setup and Troubleshooting

Jul 3, 2014

RedDawg06 wrote:

Hi i would just like to comment on the plyR1 setup and troubleshooting i think  its a great headset the only thing that im noticeing when i bought it is a bit of static or cracking when talking in the party chat on ps4 dont understand I've tried everything to stop it if u could help me with any suggestion's on how too fix it would be greatly apprehensive thanks 

@RedDawg06 This sounds like it may be the cord, it is the cheapest they will find after all. Try picking up another optical cord and try that out (keep your receipt just in case though). If problem persists,  it could be the headset itself - If you bought the headset within the year, Skullcandy should replace it through their warranty program. 

Message 8 of 49 (6,900 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 3, 2014

Recently i made a choice of buying the plyr 1. but lately i saw mixed reviews about it., The main reason im buying it is to hearing footsteps/soundwhore or to pinpoint where the enemy is etc. But somesay the sorrund sound is weak, but others say its really good. I really want to know if i should buy it or not

Message 9 of 49 (6,879 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5313 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2014

lil_momo26 wrote:

Recently i made a choice of buying the plyr 1. but lately i saw mixed reviews about it., The main reason im buying it is to hearing footsteps/soundwhore or to pinpoint where the enemy is etc. But somesay the sorrund sound is weak, but others say its really good. I really want to know if i should buy it or not

The reviews I've seen are from normal consumers / reviewers who don't even specialize in audio equipment and rate  Turtle  Beach headsets as being the best in the world. Yeah, Let's trust those people (the firmware update fixed. Many of the problems that they may have had btw ) ...

Or... 

You could find out what true Audiophiles think,  people whose ears are way in tuned and higher than the rest of us in regards to hearing details we just can't. The members  from Head-Fi are just that, and only use the best equipment for their audio purposes. In actuality they hate headsets and much prefer headphones, more so in price ranges no one would ever dream of purchasing here unless you have that much expendable income. But...

... They did like one headset and one headset only... 

The PLYR1. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-...

I highly recommend them, don't wait and debate,  just get them and you'll thank me later Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 49 (6,870 Views)
0 Likes