Feb 20 2014
By: cteli First Son 3 posts

UI Manipulation with Touchpad

5 replies 1205 views Edited Feb 20, 2014

I just purchased a PS4 a few days ago and I am trying to find out whether or not the PS4 allows you to manipulate the UI with the DS4's touchpad. I have read that it has not yet been utilized to work with apps such as Netflix and the Internet browser, but I have not been able to find any information on whether or not the UI can be navigated by the touchpad. If this is possible, that's nice, and I hope PS begins utilizing the touchpad as a means of navigation in other apps as well.

Message 1 of 6 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13132 posts

Re: UI Manipulation with Touchpad

Feb 20, 2014
It cannot be used in the home screen
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 2 of 6 (1,202 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11640 posts

Feb 20, 2014

cteli wrote:

I just purchased a PS4 a few days ago and I am trying to find out whether or not the PS4 allows you to manipulate the UI with the DS4's touchpad. I have read that it has not yet been utilized to work with apps such as Netflix and the Internet browser, but I have not been able to find any information on whether or not the UI can be navigated by the touchpad. If this is possible, that's nice, and I hope PS begins utilizing the touchpad as a means of navigation in other apps as well.

welcome to the forums!

my question is, is what benefit would this give us, over just using the stick? i'm not saying it's a bad idea, i'm just wondering what you think the benefit would be.

Message 3 of 6 (1,196 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 20, 2014

First of all, thank you for your quick response.

I think, for one, it would provide an option for the player as to how they would like to interact with their content; not everyone has the same preference with this kind of thing. 

Most importantly, I think it could contribute to the intuitiveness of the PS4's interface. Say you have a large selection of games and other content in your menu; it may be quicker and more precise to access a piece of content by "sliding" to said content by using the touchpad. Of course, it's not a big deal when you don't have a lot of content downloaded to your PS4, but if you do have a lot of content, I think this functionality would help. I know this takes development time to implement something of this nature, but if enough people were pleased by this functionality it would be worth it, I'd think.

Finally, being able to use the touchpad with third-party applications, such as Netflix, would also make the user's experience more precise than, say, tapping on the d-pad multiple times to reach a piece of content on your Netflix 'My List' menu, or any other menu within Netflix for that matter. This goes with in-house applications, too, like the Internet browser application. As far as I understand, the cursor within the browser can only be utilized with the joystick. Wouldn't it make sense to let the user treat the touchpad as something akin to a laptop's mousepad, so that the user may be able to scroll up and down on a page with, say, two fingers, like one can on a Mac's mousepad? Or maybe even let them use a 'zoom' function with the touchpad within the browser if it was necessary? I know the browser on the PS4 is probably of low priority for Sony compared to a lot of other features, but with the multitasking capabilities of the PS4, it's nice for the user to use the browser for quick tips on games.

As an extra, it would be neat to implement gestures to further contribute to the system's intuitiveness, but that would be a bonus; I don't see this as being of the necessity that some of the other basic features I mentioned for the touchpad's use are.

Message 4 of 6 (1,183 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Feb 20, 2014

Thanks for your response. Do you find yourself wanting a feature such as this implemented for your PS4?

Message 5 of 6 (1,181 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11640 posts

Feb 20, 2014

cteli wrote:

First of all, thank you for your quick response.

I think, for one, it would provide an option for the player as to how they would like to interact with their content; not everyone has the same preference with this kind of thing. 

Most importantly, I think it could contribute to the intuitiveness of the PS4's interface. Say you have a large selection of games and other content in your menu; it may be quicker and more precise to access a piece of content by "sliding" to said content by using the touchpad. Of course, it's not a big deal when you don't have a lot of content downloaded to your PS4, but if you do have a lot of content, I think this functionality would help. I know this takes development time to implement something of this nature, but if enough people were pleased by this functionality it would be worth it, I'd think.

Finally, being able to use the touchpad with third-party applications, such as Netflix, would also make the user's experience more precise than, say, tapping on the d-pad multiple times to reach a piece of content on your Netflix 'My List' menu, or any other menu within Netflix for that matter. This goes with in-house applications, too, like the Internet browser application. As far as I understand, the cursor within the browser can only be utilized with the joystick. Wouldn't it make sense to let the user treat the touchpad as something akin to a laptop's mousepad, so that the user may be able to scroll up and down on a page with, say, two fingers, like one can on a Mac's mousepad? Or maybe even let them use a 'zoom' function with the touchpad within the browser if it was necessary? I know the browser on the PS4 is probably of low priority for Sony compared to a lot of other features, but with the multitasking capabilities of the PS4, it's nice for the user to use the browser for quick tips on games.

As an extra, it would be neat to implement gestures to further contribute to the system's intuitiveness, but that would be a bonus; I don't see this as being of the necessity that some of the other basic features I mentioned for the touchpad's use are.

nice points. after seeing some of your suggestions, i'm on board.

go here - http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ and share it. that's the place suggestions need to go. then we can all vote on them so sony sees if there's demand or not. some of them have been implemented, most have not, but it's the "official" place for suggestions.

Message 6 of 6 (1,173 Views)
0 Likes