Mar 21 2013
By: mochuuu SCEA 1487 posts

Unity Tools Coming for PlayStation Developers

[ Edited ]
OFFICIAL POST
14 replies 474 views Edited Mar 21, 2013

Thought this would be an interesting topic for the PlayStation Community to discuss. 

Source (PlayStation Blog): http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/21/unity-tools-coming-for-playstation-developers/ 

Today, all of us at Unity Technologies are thrilled to announce a partnership with SCEA that will see Unity tools developed for PlayStation platforms! We’ll be making games built on Unity deployable to PS4, PS3, PS Vita, PS Mobile, and SCE’s future cloud services.

So what is Unity? Well, it’s only the most widely used game creation toolset and engine in the world. It’s so popular because it’s based on the idea of democratizing game development. That means making as many awesome and powerful tools available to as many developers as possible, regardless of how big or small their company or team. Unity is elegant, efficient, approachable, extensible, and affordable. Unity makes it easy to iterate and Unity does the heavy lifting when porting games to other platforms. Code is automatically converted, and just polish and optimization for that specific platform needs to be added. But all the other stuff — the art, the game logic, artificial intelligence, sound — everything else, remains the same.

Plenty of huge publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Kabam, Square Enix, and Nexon are using Unity for a variety of projects, but even more exciting is the massive number of independent developers enjoying incredible success in their creative and business endeavors. Its incredible that we’re now able to work with PlayStation to help many of these studios find success across its powerful platforms. 

In fact, we have supported PS3 for a while now with several great titles already shipped, though the rest of the PlayStation deployment tools are not yet ready for public consumption (although Funbits did do some great work themselves to bring the beautiful and clever Escape Plan to PS Vita).

What are your thoughts on this announcement from Unity? It's very development level focused but it has interesting implications for what developers can do with PlayStation. 

- morgan haro - PlayStation.com
@morganharo

Message 1 of 15 (474 Views)
PlayStation MVP
19278 posts

Re: Unity Tools Coming for PlayStation Developers

Mar 21, 2013

mochuuu wrote:

That means making as many awesome and powerful tools available to as many developers as possible, regardless of how big or small their company or team.

This line really caught my attention.

I have a quick question about this: since it's reaching out to even really small developers, is this somewhat like the XNA program that Microsoft has on the Xbox 360? Or am I reading too much into that one line? I did notice that big developers like EA were also using it, but I was just wondering if this particular line had any weight with new/up-and-coming companies.

Message 2 of 15 (463 Views)
0 Likes
SCEA
1487 posts

OFFICIAL POST
Mar 21, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

I did notice that big developers like EA were also using it, but I was just wondering if this particular line had any weight with new/up-and-coming companies.

Well, I'm no expert, but I've been at a few conferences that are geared towards aspiring, entrepreneurial developers, and Unity has always had a big presence there as far as working to attract developers big and small. 

As far as what it means for the ecosystem of accessing those games? Time will tell, but PlayStation has always had a real open avenue to developers to self-publish. This seems to be an extension of that. But again, i'm not a source of info for this at all; learning about the news alongside you guys =) 

- morgan haro - PlayStation.com
@morganharo

Message 3 of 15 (453 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
19278 posts

Mar 21, 2013

mochuuu wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

I did notice that big developers like EA were also using it, but I was just wondering if this particular line had any weight with new/up-and-coming companies.

Well, I'm no expert, but I've been at a few conferences that are geared towards aspiring, entrepreneurial developers, and Unity has always had a big presence there as far as working to attract developers big and small. 

As far as what it means for the ecosystem of accessing those games? Time will tell, but PlayStation has always had a real open avenue to developers to self-publish. This seems to be an extension of that. But again, i'm not a source of info for this at all; learning about the news alongside you guys =) 

Alright, well thank you for that. Hopefully those smaller companies will be able to get their games out there more easily in the future with this. And it's perfectly alright that you're learning just about all we could know. All the information helps. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15 (450 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Mar 21, 2013

This just means more games will come and its always good new for us.

Message 5 of 15 (432 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Mar 22, 2013
I think that it's great that such a powerful tool as unity is finally coming to playstation. It was a tool mainly used for Xbox, pc and phones. Now according to their site it's available to Linux, ps3/ps4 and Wii-u. The downside to supporting so many platforms is that it can be overly general and not specific enough for a platform that you want to develop for.

For professional game engines, it is at a reasonable price at $1500 for a single user or $2000 for a team license. They also have a free version that will obviously be limited on its capabilities. If you were to combine it with Havoc for physics you could have a very powerful and stunning result in the end. If I still had a computer and had $1500 to shell out, I'd get it and make my game idea a reality. Unfortunately I don't have either, so I'm kinda screwed on that.
My PSN
Message 6 of 15 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 22, 2013

I've been developing on Unity and it's quite powerful. As has been stated, the real appeal is there being a free version that is quite robust and allows individuals or teams to make commercial products (with no licensing/royalty fees unless you reach a certain threshold in sales...something like $100k). Everything made in the free version is fully compatible with the Pro version, so if a project is taking off or a dev wants to use some Pro-only features, they can do so easily without having to rework anything.

That being said, It does get pretty expensive for small indies with all the platform licensing though - even if you buy Pro, you'll still need to buy the platform licenses of your choosing outside of PC, Linux and Mac. So typically speaking, you don't see every indie dev just make their game for every platform Unity supports just because (not to mention you'd still have to cater to the different control schemes and specs and whatnot.

Message 7 of 15 (375 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Just out of curiosity which applications do you use Unity™ with? I've been a Lightwave artists /hobbyist (which supports Filmbox export so can be used for unity) and have an idea for something for the Vita- but have no Unity experience. I'm considering trying to find some people to help do some development in our spare time. Its a very small scale idea....

A man with a watch knows what time it is -
A man with two is never sure...
Message 8 of 15 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

downchildblues wrote:

Just out of curiosity which applications do you use Unity™ with? I've been a Lightwave artists /hobbyist (which supports Filmbox export so can be used for unity) and have an idea for something for the Vita- but have no Unity experience. I'm considering trying to find some people to help do some development in our spare time. Its a very small scale idea....

Do you mean what applications I use to make assets?

I use Maya for 3D and typically export to FBX (Unity supports .mb files, but I don't trust it. lol). I use Photoshop for Textures and GUI elements. Not sure if that answers your question.

I've only been using Unity for about a year (free version) and just for PC/Mac projects.

Message 9 of 15 (312 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 24, 2013

I'm very excited about this, though I don't actually know exactly what kind of games this will bring. Have you ever heard of Dead Trigger? it's a android game zombie horror survival thats free. I would LOVE to somehow see that game on the ps3, ps4, or even better the ps vita!

Message 10 of 15 (295 Views)
0 Likes