@GAMERAMA

It keeps your internet regular.
Message 21 of 25 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Re: Using Google Fiber on PS4

Mar 16, 2014

You know, I thought at first I had a bone to pick with seraphim_falconu, but turns out he is right. I looked into the data thinking I can just trample him with my facts, but turns out USA is on par with many European countries, statistically and in aggregate numbers. As per Akamai's State of the Art report on the Internet from Q3 of 2013, USA has a peak/average download speed of 37/9.8 Mbps, a 34% and 75% of high broadband (>10 Mbps) and broadband (> 4 Mbps) respectively, and based on Ookla's NetIndex statistics, the per Mbps cost of Internet in USA is comparable to EU (median value being around US$ 3.59).

In every aspect Internet in the US of A seems to be a-ok, not the end times mainstream media tries to portray. Hmm... you have opened my eyes, sir.

OR, OR, the Akamai tests are biased. But the other thing is according to NetIndex, the average speed in US is 22 Mbps (cannot be!) and is #33 on the list. of course, it is highly likely that these are biased as only a certain population runs these tests, the more tech savvy ones, and they may have better internet to begin with. And so it can tip the balance to small countries with a few tech savvy people with really fast internet as it seems to be.

Message 22 of 25 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Mar 16, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

All "deregulation" has meant is that they can charge what ever they want, and now merge to form monopolies, which is exactly what Comcast and Time Warner are doing. I don't doubt that we've gone up in our internet speeds, however that is thanks to Google Fiber, which was supposed to be a "shaming exercise", to try and push ISP's forward. What's happened? Data caps, charging more for the same service, and Comcast being paid by Netflix to favor their content, which is what net neutrality was supposed to prevent.

This goes beyond video games and streaming movies. As more jobs move to I.T., the United States doesn't have the infrastructure to sustain those jobs. It's in our best interests to make this kind of investment.

It's ironic that we are debating government involvment in something like the internet, when it was the GOVERNMENT that helped CREATE the internet. Despite what Atlas Shrugged suggests, the greatest era of economic prosperity in this country was from the late 1940's through the early 1970's when we had the MOST government investment, in things like space exploration, the interstate highway system, and the cleanliness of your drinking. Government has a role to play in every day society, especially in areas where the private sector does not have the capacity to do so, and especially when the private sector places profits above safety.

Facepalm!

I seriously wonder if people behind causes like Net Neutrality even understand what it means! God!

Net Neutrality is meant to make sure that YOU as a customer get fair information. YOU are supposed to be able to get any website just as easily as the other without preferential treatment.

Think of it this way, roads should allow you to go anywhere just as easily (hypothetical scenario). You shouldn't be restricted to go someplaces, you shouldn't be asked to pay extra to reach some places (forget tolls for now). This is Net neutrality.

What Netflix did is investment in infrastructure. They paid a corporation to help their data reach you easier. An analogy is if Netflix was a supermarket chain, Netflix paid a company to haul their goods to the stores from warehouses faster and more efficiently, so that you can go to said stores and always find your groceries when you want them and not have to wait for them to, err, buffer.

Net neutrality only fights for your ability to drive to said store just as easily as a competitor. It has no relation to what these stores do to improve their business. Stores have been doing this for ages and so have internet companies.

PS: I feel this will go to Off Topic in 3. 2. 1...

Message 23 of 25 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 16, 2014

abhijtv wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

All "deregulation" has meant is that they can charge what ever they want, and now merge to form monopolies, which is exactly what Comcast and Time Warner are doing. I don't doubt that we've gone up in our internet speeds, however that is thanks to Google Fiber, which was supposed to be a "shaming exercise", to try and push ISP's forward. What's happened? Data caps, charging more for the same service, and Comcast being paid by Netflix to favor their content, which is what net neutrality was supposed to prevent.

This goes beyond video games and streaming movies. As more jobs move to I.T., the United States doesn't have the infrastructure to sustain those jobs. It's in our best interests to make this kind of investment.

It's ironic that we are debating government involvment in something like the internet, when it was the GOVERNMENT that helped CREATE the internet. Despite what Atlas Shrugged suggests, the greatest era of economic prosperity in this country was from the late 1940's through the early 1970's when we had the MOST government investment, in things like space exploration, the interstate highway system, and the cleanliness of your drinking. Government has a role to play in every day society, especially in areas where the private sector does not have the capacity to do so, and especially when the private sector places profits above safety.

Facepalm!

I seriously wonder if people behind causes like Net Neutrality even understand what it means! God!

Net Neutrality is meant to make sure that YOU as a customer get fair information. YOU are supposed to be able to get any website just as easily as the other without preferential treatment.

PS: I feel this will go to Off Topic in 3. 2. 1...

What happened with that is that the FCC rules state that they cannot classify ISPs as a common carrier, which would allow the FCC to regulate and KEEP Net Neutrality. But because they didn't forsee that happening, now, Net Neutrality effectively does not exist.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 24 of 25 (242 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

re:

[ Edited ]
Mar 16, 2014

my justification of getting digital games is i live in iran and it's take atleast 2 week for the games to be available to buy and they are atleast 100$ each, one of the main reason i still use my ps3 and haven't jumped to ps4 is those huge download sizes, either i have to wait to download them or i have to wait to get the disk verison. so it's a lose lose situation for me. yay!

Message 25 of 25 (230 Views)
0 Likes