Mar 04 2014
By: rouward Fender Bender 4330 posts

Visual Novels on PSN

5 replies 2712 views Edited Mar 4, 2014

Last week, some of my friends have purchased a new visual novel that becomes available on "the other system" and it's translated in english, but why not in western PSN Store? There are tons of VN from Japanese PSN that aren't ported to western store, some of them are exclusively on physical-copy only that are not available on digital. Why wouldn't they port in western countries so that they would generate income somehow? I'm getting sick of big AAA titles that only focus on online gaming, microtransactions, FPS, apocalypse, zombies and other overrated stuffs.

Gran Turismo Fan | Love Live Fan | PC Technician

Gran Turismo 7 Suggestions

Message 1 of 6 (2,712 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: Visual Novels on PSN

Mar 4, 2014

Because such visual novels are very niche, and so they dont' bother.

It's the same reason no "Gundam" games make it here. While there probably is some interest in the West, there isn't enough to justify localization costs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 6 (2,698 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Mar 4, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

Because such visual novels are very niche, and so they dont' bother.

It's the same reason no "Gundam" games make it here. While there probably is some interest in the West, there isn't enough to justify localization costs.

But how did some JP games were localize easily (like Tekken, SF, JRPGs)?

I think that localizing VN cost less than other games, they would only translate the text and no need to add engish voice.

Message 3 of 6 (2,684 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Sadly alot of people prefer games where you are blowing thing up,shooting other,etc...They don't care much for games where all you do is read.I myself like visual novel games.Sure they don't have gameplay but at least it makes up for it in great stories. I would rather have a game with an awesome plot than the same repetetive gameplay of running and shooting from pont A to point B. Thanks to Xseed we are getting Xblaze so if it does well then maybe we will see more VN's in the west.

"Fans who ditch a game because of the exclusion of a language they don't even speak were never fans to begin with."
Message 4 of 6 (2,664 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Also we may ask them a request to publish some popular VN from the east, like Go Go Nippon! on the other system. I'm so eager to play some JP games since I already left violent world of shooters and zombies Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 6 (2,653 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Mar 4, 2014

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on the Vita fits the bill, and it's great.  Not many other optiosn though.  There's Disgaea Infinite, Sweet Fuse, and Hakuoki Demon of the Fleeting Blossom on the PSP.

PSN Card
Message 6 of 6 (2,648 Views)
0 Likes