Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
1 posts

Re: Vita impressions from anyone over the age of 30?

Apr 1, 2013
31... Love my Vita. Perfect for the commute. Brilliant and new games, which feel like thought has gone into them.. Use twitter and the browser, have avoided putting my work email on it, which seems to make it even better somehow. Wouldn't be without it!
Message 31 of 40 (212 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11198 posts

Apr 1, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

Asphaltum wrote:

Ha ha, you're old UnrealButcher, (well not that old, but older than I am). Remember the Flinstones! I'm only playing with you, you're a good soul. I'm 43. I love my PS3, I love games, I have all my life, but my Vita is my favorite.

If you say so. lol.

Flinstones, Jetsons, Scooby Doo. lol.

OH YEAH!!!

Head to Head

I think for me being a gamer since I was young (some 35+ years) and since the beginning with the early consoles, handhelds and arcade cabinets, spending my lawn mowing money on chick a sticks, jolly ranchers, and playing some pinball at the corner store or pizza parlor, I can appreciate what I have with the Vita.

Funny thinking about this made me remember how me, my brother and friends used to go to the corner store in hopes of seeing the next great game, and see if our high score had been beat. Good times.

Flintstones, Jetsons, G.I.Joe, Transformers, Go-Bots, He-Man, Dungeons & Dragons, WWE saturday morning cartoons, Mighty Dog, Captain Cave-Man! etc....

I had some kind of a Pac-Man clone electronic handheld back in the mid 80s, but also had these as well.

tomytronic

Simon

football

I didn't have one that was 2 player.

watch

There we other hand held electronics back in the day that only had 1 game on it, but one of my favorites was the Pac-Man watch.

Message 32 of 40 (199 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Apr 1, 2013

I'm 31 and have owned many consoles over the years of my gaming, including the Sega Game Gear. The PS Vita is everything I hoped, and a little more even. I was looking for something to supplement my PS3, and bazinga, there it is. I love the Vita. The display is "not quite HD" but still extremely beautiful: the best handheld out there. It's really astounding too to play PS one classics, such as Metal Gear Solid on. I'm also on Music Unlimited, so I like to use the Vita as an offline music player as well.

Message 33 of 40 (189 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Apr 1, 2013

I am 61, and I really love the 12 games I have for my Vita. I love playing after work just to relieve the stress from work.

Play games to " RELAX "
Message 34 of 40 (175 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Apr 2, 2013

I'm 32 years old & use my Vita daily. Im mostly into RPG games or basically anything except Call of Duty. I hate 1st person shooters, but Uncharted is fun for me atleast if I want a shooter. The Vita has some fun games you get bonuses for logging into daily. Also I have the 3G version. It comes in handy for my fishing trips & also the google maps is handy for directions to concerts since you don't have to pay a monthly fee for the 3g. My 1st month getting the 3g I got the 3gigs for $30 & only used up 24mb so the $15 version will do as long as you dont download & stream much.

Message 35 of 40 (160 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Apr 2, 2013
I'm 48 ... bought it day 1 and love it. I had a PSPgo ... didn't love it so much. The Vita seems to have gotten everything right. I bought the 3G version which I find completely useless (the 3G that is). I haven't used the 3G since the second month. The games I like tend to be kind of few and far between, but i think the problem I'm having is that games like Mass Effect and Bioshock aren't Vita-compatible!

I use it almost every day to and from work on the subway. I LOVE the new PSHome release which has Centipedes and Asteroids (the originals).

The display is stunning. As for future potential, I envision the PS4 and the Vita working hand in hand. And I can't wait!!!
Message 36 of 40 (144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Apr 2, 2013

I am 46, and while I'm not sure that is a good thing I've been a gamer all my life. I cut my teeth on the original table top PONG if that tells you anything. I have owned every piece of Sony gaming hardware although I was a little late on the PS2 and the PSP, I have never regretted a single purchase although I was one of the first to own a PS1 and the machine I got ended up faulty. Still I have enjoyed them all. I acquired my Vita in February after I got my tax refund. At first I was a bit nervous. I already own two 3DS's, and many games for it, but sold my PSP a few years ago and missed having it as a portable entertainment device. I had about eight titles on the PSN I could download to the machine, some of which were PSP only, so that was another draw to getting a Vita. So to answer the questions you asked, I love the machine, the OLED display is breathtaking, even the classic PS1 games look better than they did on the PSP, but unless Sony dops the price, they will alienate gamers. Their current pricing strategy would have worked if COD declassified had been the experience everyone had hoped for, but since it wasn't I think consumers are getting a vibe that does not favor the Vita. Additionally, the memory cards are way to expensive. They need to  drop the price on the console and the memory, as well as slam their library with first person shooters, even if they are PS1 classics. Nintendo still cannot compete with the Vita on this and it should be a major selling point. Killzone is not due till September. This is too late when there are some decent FPS's in the PS1 library they are not giving us. They tout the Vita as a "grown ups" hand held gaming machine, but they are not giving grown ups the games they play. I swear if I see one more puzzle or RPG released I am going to scream. Still, I do use my Vita for video and social networking although the limitations of Facebook are a little irritating. I would like to see a Vudu app since I have movies on Vudu I purchased long before I had the Vit. And as far as "still" using my Vita, I have used it much more than my 3DS's in the last month, and I'm using it now to reply to this thread. I don't expect the Vita to fizzle and die, especially since they have promised integration between it and the PS4. But that is only going to be a factor for those who will be able to afford the hardware and software, whenever it's available, which technically could be a year, and two or more for the rest of us. So the price drop is important and the games grown ups play is the other. Hope that answers your questions.

Message 37 of 40 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Apr 2, 2013

Yet still another forty-something.  I was in your boat, not sure if the Vita would be enough of a jump over a smartphone for handheld gaming to justify the purchase.  Went ahead and got one, and haven't regretted it one bit.  The size of the device is great (the PSP made my hands/wrists sore, nothing like that with the Vita).  The screen is gorgeous and the controls are very nicely laid out.

I've picked up several games (with the help of Plus, which is a great bargain).  Gravity Rush and Uncharted are both wonderful.  I also got All Stars Battle Royale, which has been way more fun than I'd thought it would be and is well suited for handheld gaming.  Resistance has been fun so far for on the go shooter gaming.  If you're a fighting fan, Mortal Kombat and Marvel v. Capcom fit the bill nicely.

One of my favorite features though, is the pause anywhere feature.  Cut scenes, fight scenes, whatever, you can instantly pause and pick up whenever.  I wish all games were like this (Resistance 3 cut scenes, I'm looking at you! :smileymad: ).  Pick one up, you won't be disappointed!

Message 38 of 40 (125 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7123 posts

Apr 2, 2013

Since the majority of us in this thread are in the 30+ i supposed a few have played MediEvil, Jet Moto, Syphon Filter, Extermination, i would really love to see those games on the vita.  Sir Dan is awesome!!!!!!! 

Message 39 of 40 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9001 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

aquastorm wrote:

Considering purchsing a Vita and was curious to hear if there's anyone on here over the age of 30 that has impressions of the Vita.  

Was it worth the purcahse to you?  Do you still actually use it?  Any game recommendations?  Do you see much potential or future in the Vita?  

Thanks

Well here is my 2 cents.

The vita is what the PSPGo should have been, and when it should have been.

It is a great platform for PS2 games, but this content/function basically does not exist.

PSP was PS1 portable, the next step should have been a PS2 portable which would evolve like the controllers did from PS1 to PS2.

This means dual sticks and triggers, and play all PS2 games, even if only over remote play.  (Sony screwed themselves twice here)

Not only can you not play PS2 games via remote play on Vita for one reason, but for many self induced by Sony themselves.

The games I have seen and tried for Vita were unimpressive even Drakes fortune was a shadow of what the first PS3 version was.

The analog sticks (Which should be in their second itteration by now, by the way)  Feel so insignifigant and unnatural to me.

The real answer was to make PS3 controllers be able to connect to the Vita for real actual professional controls that feel exactly like we are used to, also allows more comfortable playing for long durations, as well as making Vita gaming on the big screen undistinguishable from PS3 gaming.  You know I could connect a PS3 controller to my PSP for at least one game, and it was an experience I didnt think a handheld could pull off, it was amazing.  They even opened up a new difficulty level becuase the controls were actually fully functional, LOL.

IMHO the games available today, the control scheme, the screen positioning and limited abilites of the Vita make it a worthy purchase at about the $150 range.

The propriatory memory cards was what sealed the deal for me, Sony got me last time with the PSP memory cards, but at least they also worked in some Sony cameras.  Its like back in the old days prices for memory, I'm not paying over a $1 a gig ever again, LOL.

Being able to play PS1 games on Vita is a nice feature, but I was doing that on the PSP for years and years already, why buy a Vita for that when a $50 PSP will do it just as well (or better being closer to the native resolution.)

When the PS4 comes out if any of the statements Sony has made are actually true this time the Vita may have some added value.

If a day comes where all PS1, PS2, and PS3 games can be played via the Vita, and you can connect it to a big tv, and you can connect  at least 2 PS3 controllers for split screen gaming it will be at that point the Vita we should have today.

Until then to me its highly overpriced and underfunctioned.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 40 of 40 (112 Views)
0 Likes