Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 30 2013
By: emtee40 First Son 1 posts

Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

28 replies 484 views Edited Mar 30, 2013
So, I'm gonna wait on PS4 literally because of browser. I know the PS3 is a console, not PC, but if you sit in gloat about how powerful the CPU is, or graphic rendering abilities, well, walk the walk.

its horrible. I'm 3 month in my run on my PS3 and I'm literally giving up on Sony consoles.
I'm not a troll, nor gonna feed them. I'm directing this to Sony publicly, instead of email.

I hate the ps3, ps2 was better at its time with less capabilities of the other consoles, but efficient. I tell everyone that it is crap. junk
waste of money.
homebrew maybe an option worth trying.
its crap and I wish I could get my money back. I bought it used, and its a slim from 2010.
crap, crap, crap, oh did I say, crap.
and if trolls decide try to say I lack experience, I'm 32 years old, run a MUD on my own Linux server, and kind of know if a duck is a duck.
Message 1 of 29 (484 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12332 posts

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 30, 2013

Er, if you're directing this to Sony publicly, you might want to find a better spot.

Sony doesn't bother reading all of these posts (if any).

So you're more or less talking to the community of these boards (and the trolls you addressed)....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 29 (481 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 30, 2013

The PS3 web browser is not good. I rarely ever use it. lol 

Message 3 of 29 (457 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. :smileysurprised:

Message 4 of 29 (446 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Mar 30, 2013

see ya....maybe get a pc with a browser instead of worring about a game console browsing the web...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 5 of 29 (444 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

The WebKit based (also powers Chrome & Safari) PS3 browser does indeed have a few issues (which Sony could most likely address, if they wanted to), but even so, it still has quite a bit to offer.

If you prefer the YouTube web site over the app (no contest for me), as the web site offers a much richer experience (video comments etc), now that the browser uses the WebKit layout engine (since Feb, 2012). it works perfectly, just like a PC. The only remaining issue is the videos are still in a grainy 240p. That's where the PS3 Bookmarklet comes to the rescue (my contribution to the cause :smileyhappy:); it allows you to watch videos in 480p (DVD resolution) and even download then in 1080p (where available).

The bookmarket also supercharges Wikipedia and I've just added a plugin for NeoGAF, for a great viewing experience on a large TV (see the end of my extensive browser thread for further details (below)).

Sony are kidding themselves if they think people (me included) are going to spend $450 (estimated cost) on a PS4, for just an improved TV browsing experience (for those who aren't quite ready for next generation games). No, instead they should finish what they started and fix the hardly insurmountable issues in the PS3 browser and ideally add support for HTML 5 video (should be much easier to implement than Flash 9).

Message 6 of 29 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2465 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Why the hell are you even using the PS3 web broswer for anything? You dont own a PC or laptop or a smart phone or a smart TV lol, all of which are better choices to surf online with. Ive used it once in the 7 years Ive had it. Its not why I bought it. If thats your big gripe and what you are using to base how good the system is then your missing the whole point of what the console is.

Message 7 of 29 (426 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25164 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Go on Craigslist and get a hundred dollar laptop, and then install this;

http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/?tag=mncol;5

I know, I know... "But... but... but... but... but... but... but... but... It's supposed to do "everything!"". Take an English course and learn what "hyperbole" means.

Message 8 of 29 (419 Views)
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Mar 30, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Why the hell are you even using the 0 PS3 web broswer for anything? You dont own a PC or laptop or a smart phone or a smart TV lol, all of which are better choices to surf online with. Ive used it once in the 7 years Ive had it. Its not why I bought it. If thats your big gripe and what you are using to base how good the system is then your missing the whole point of what the console is.

Why browse the Internet on a TV?

• Ultimate convenience (esp. with PS3 remote). 
  • For videos, the bigger the display, the better and typically your TV has much better sound.
  • No chance of getting infected (PS3, at least).

Yes, the PS3 is primarily a games console but it is also has all the right ingredients for streaming content and browsing the internet (for HTML 5 video, not Flash 10). Don't forget, the PS3 is the #1 device used for NetFlix, i.e. it's the PS3 users who very much like the undeniable multi-use aspect of the PS3. 

I did some research on Smart TV's and apart from the ones powered by Google TV, which have the Chrome browser and support Flash 10, they still have some way to go.

For the record, I've got a nice 15.4" T61 ThinkPad (PC), which I now use solely for personal software development projects and a LogiTech Revue Google TV box, which I'm using to post this message (as Sony is possibly trying to force us to save up for a PS4, as they've blocked posting using the PS3 browser on this forum - epic fail :smileywink:).

Message 9 of 29 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Mar 30, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Go on Craigslist and get a hundred dollar laptop, and then install this;

http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/?tag=mncol;5

I know, I know... "But... but... but... but... but... but... but... but... It's supposed to do "everything!"". Take an English course and learn what "hyperbole" means.

:smileytongue:.

Message 10 of 29 (401 Views)
0 Likes