Reply
Survivor
Registered: 11/28/2010
Offline
2484 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

You have no chance of getting infected with your PC / Laptop if your not looking at porn either. Yes a large amount of people use the PS3 for netflix, I did for a long time until I got my smart TV but that has nothing to do with browsing the interent with it. Using the PS3 to browse online as your primary means to do so is just stupid IMO. Its clumbsy and takes to long w/ the remote.

 

Not sure what you mean about smart TV's and not supporting flash players w/ out google chrome but mine plays videos just fine.

Message 11 of 29 (370 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 10/11/2010
Offline
225 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

You have no chance of getting infected with your PC / Laptop if your not looking at porn either. 


Party pooper :smileytongue:.


SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Yes a large amount of people use the PS3 for netflix, I did for a long time until I got my smart TV but that has nothing to do with browsing the interent with it. 


Yes, but using a streaming app, like NetFlix, isn't using the PS3 for it's core purpose (gaming) either, which some users (I mention no names :smileywink:) seem to think is heracy, despite the fact that according to a recent survey, PS3 users are spending more time using the media-hub functionality than actually playing games (Sony must love that). So, why would you exclude Internet browsing from this?


SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Using the PS3 to browse online as your primary means to do so is just stupid IMO. Its clumbsy and takes to long w/ the remote.


I believe this depends on your household setup, in terms of available gadgets and who uses what, e.g. if you have a family TV, using it for Internet browsing, while others want to watch Dancing with the Stars (or whatever) just isn't practical (if you don't want to get lynched, that is :smileywink:), i.e. in that instance a tablet might be ideal.

 

For me, with a PC and Google TV box, and only me in the household, my TV and PS3 are the center of entertainment and the PS3 can save me from having to turn my PC on for days on end as the browser works just fine for YouTube (with bookmarklet), Google Search (inc. looking up recipes etc), BBC News, PlayStation forums (turn JavaScript off for UK), GMail,  and because the remote (D-Pad) quickly jumps from link to link, I find it just as fast as moving a mouse cursor with PS3 controller's left stick (or the touchpad on the LogiTech Revue) and scrolling with the right stick. For these uses, I way prefer the PS3 browser over using my PC, with its puny 15.4" screen or Revue (it's good, but I only have keyboard for this, so it's way less convenient that PS3's remote).


SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Not sure what you mean about smart TV's and not supporting flash players w/ out google chrome but mine plays videos just fine.


Based on the user revues of the 2012 Samsung Smart TV's and others (I have a non-smart Samsung HDTV), they were saying the browser didn't perform particularly well and I probably spent around three hours looking into this as my next TV may well be a Smart TV. What specific make / model of TV do you have?

Message 12 of 29 (356 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 01/03/2006
Offline
40 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013

Having a browser that actually works on the PS4 is a solid idea. The PS4 needs to be more than just a game console. With so many devices being able to do more than just one thing it is important for PS4 to be solid on all apps that are installed on it. As for the comments on using other devices besides a PS3 some of us like the convienence of 1 device to rule them all. Not all of us can afford smart TVs or another device that can broadcast a browser on a large screen TV.

 

Sony should use that in their ad campaign for PS4. "1 device to rule them all"

 

 


Message 13 of 29 (106 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
26107 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

REVV wrote:

Having a browser that actually works on the PS4 is a solid idea. The PS4 needs to be more than just a game console. With so many devices being able to do more than just one thing it is important for PS4 to be solid on all apps that are installed on it. As for the comments on using other devices besides a PS3 some of us like the convienence of 1 device to rule them all. Not all of us can afford smart TVs or another device that can broadcast a browser on a large screen TV.

 

Sony should use that in their ad campaign for PS4. "1 device to rule them all"

 

 


  1. When Sony tried to make the PS3 "more than just a game console", the gamer cognoscenti screamed "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! I WANT A GAME CONSOLE, NOT A BLU RAY PLAYER/NETFLIX MACHINE/SOCIAL MEDIA CENTER!!! I'LL SUE!! I'M A GAMER AND EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT, I KNOW I DON'T WANT THIS!!".
  2. I really don't think they want to be sued by Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, and the estate of J.R.R. Tolkein for ripping off that line.

The whole thing isn't about being able to afford a smart television. These apps are found on plenty of other devices. You can fore go a web browser on the PS3, especially considering that most phones have internet access.

 

You know, for a crowd that prides itself on being so tech savvy, gamers seem to live in an anachronistic world where not everyone has internet access, the personal computer has yet to proliferate itself into homes, whom actively shun Facebook and all social media, and still primarily live on farms.

Message 14 of 29 (104 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/08/2011
Offline
264 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013

yea thats it!!!  Of all the reasons you could have used, you use the web browser excuse.  That was quite pitiful.  Compared to Wii and 360 it just sucks....wait a minute...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open." -gR3yGh051



Photobucket



"Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy!"
Message 15 of 29 (96 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

REVV wrote:

Having a browser that actually works on the PS4 is a solid idea. The PS4 needs to be more than just a game console. With so many devices being able to do more than just one thing it is important for PS4 to be solid on all apps that are installed on it. As for the comments on using other devices besides a PS3 some of us like the convienence of 1 device to rule them all. Not all of us can afford smart TVs or another device that can broadcast a browser on a large screen TV.

 

Sony should use that in their ad campaign for PS4. "1 device to rule them all"

 

 


  1. When Sony tried to make the PS3 "more than just a game console", the gamer cognoscenti screamed "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! I WANT A GAME CONSOLE, NOT A BLU RAY PLAYER/NETFLIX MACHINE/SOCIAL MEDIA CENTER!!! I'LL SUE!! I'M A GAMER AND EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT, I KNOW I DON'T WANT THIS!!".
  2. I really don't think they want to be sued by Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, and the estate of J.R.R. Tolkein for ripping off that line.

The whole thing isn't about being able to afford a smart television. These apps are found on plenty of other devices. You can fore go a web browser on the PS3, especially considering that most phones have internet access.

 

You know, for a crowd that prides itself on being so tech savvy, gamers seem to live in an anachronistic world where not everyone has internet access, the personal computer has yet to proliferate itself into homes, whom actively shun Facebook and all social media, and still primarily live on farms.


Dude, why do you always generalize people like that?  you always use that "this is an outrage" quote. Why would someone be outraged by having a console that can do more than just games?  The problem at first was that the PS3 did not have much games when it first came out and that Sony was only focusing on multimedia features rather than the games, which is the most important thing for a game console.

Message 16 of 29 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 10/11/2010
Offline
225 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The whole thing isn't about being able to afford a smart television. These apps are found on plenty of other devices. You can fore go a web browser on the PS3, especially considering that most phones have internet access.


As I was saying, is it possibly a case of using the best device for your current situation?

 

So, for ultimate mobility, when you're out and about, a smart phone will likely be your best choice (unless you have pockets that can fit a 7" tablet :smileywink:).

 

However, from what I can gather from recent YouTube tech videos, smart phone users have gravitated back to using "mobile" versions of sites as ultimately phone screens are too small to browse the full site, even with very high resolution screens. If you do opt to view the full (desktop) version of a site, I imagine you end up doing a whole lot of pinching and zooming and scrolling about. Of course I am generalizing here and there will be some web sites where the desktop version is perfectly fine on a small 4"+ screen.

 

So, when you're back at home, and have other devices available, such as a tablet, they will likely take precedence as you can really use the desktop version of these sites. For me, although a tablet is tantalizing proposition, I simply can't justify the expense, especially when browsing the Internet on my TV suits me just fine.

Message 17 of 29 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3135 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013
So you only owned the PS3 for 3 months and find the smallest things to complain about it. How about just play some games and enjoy it.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 18 of 29 (60 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 01/03/2006
Offline
40 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013

anything can be done with approval. I know that.

 

Just saying it would be a cool ad campaign that all.

 

Get beyond your own ego before you tell everyone else  how you think it is.

 


Message 19 of 29 (56 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
26107 posts
 

Re: Waiting on PS4, shoddy PS3 browser

Mar 31, 2013

REVV wrote:

anything can be done with approval. I know that.

 

Just saying it would be a cool ad campaign that all.

 

Get beyond your own ego before you tell everyone else  how you think it is.

 


The Estate of J.R.R. Tolkein and the people who represent them aren't just going to be swell guys and say "Sure go ahead, we don't care. Just go nuts!". Ego has nothing to do with it. Pointing the obvious does.

 

How about instead of ripping off a line from a popular literary work or film, come up with something original?

 

  • You are not ready
  • Live in your world. Play in ours.
  • It only does everything.

Those are the three prominent Playstation slogans over the last fifteen years. It would seem coming up with something original has been a better strategy than just regurgitating someone else's work. By your logic, the next ad campaign might very well be "You sank my battleship!".

Message 20 of 29 (51 Views)
Reply
0 Likes