Jul 24 2010
By: Haseo_Uchiha Lombax Warrior 222 posts

Want to speed up your PS3 internet connection? Then read this.

33 replies 97151 views Edited Jul 24, 2010

Ok, I came across something awesome, it should speed up your internet connection for your PS3 (It sure did for me, from 6.5Mbps to 17.5Mbps. No lie) and I thought I should share it with you guys

Although I should let you know, just because I got a major increase in speed, it will not mean that you will too, results may vary.

Also before proceeding, if you do not have your IP address and Default Router IP set under (Manual) settings, then please go to (Settings) >>> (Settings and Connection Status List ) and wait for the Information to pop up, once it does, copy both the IP Address and Default Router IP. Also if you already have information under (Manual) settings, please write them down as backup so that if you don't like the new settings, you can always restore them back to the way you had it.

Another thing you want to do is test your current download speed connection. You can do so by going to (Network Settings) and selecting (Internet Connection Test) once it fully runs through, write down the Download and Upload speed results you got so that you can compare them later. (For people who have SD T.V. you may have to scroll down to view the Download and Upload speed results.)

The first thing you need to do is to go to your PS3 and on the XMB, scroll towards (Settings) and under (Settings), go to (Network Settings) and under that, go to (Internet Connection Settings). Once there, then go to (Custom) and when you get to (IP Address Settings), select (Manual). Now enter your IP Address into the IP Address line, leave the Subnet Mask default. Next thing you want to do is place your default router IP in the Default Router line. After that, those two DNS lines you see is what is going to speed up your internet connection for your PS3. Set both the Primary and Secondary DNS with the information below as exact.

Primary DNS - 208.67.222.222

Secondary DNS - 208.67.220.220

After you have placed all the above information, go ahead and save the settings and select (Test Connection) and see if your downloading speed has improved. If it has improved your internet performance on your PS3, please provide feedback on this thread of your results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 34 (97,151 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
438 posts

Re: Want to speed up your PS3 internet connection? Then read this.

Jul 24, 2010

I just started using these settings because I was having netflix/hulu streaming problems.  unfortunately the test still shows less than 6Mb/s.

But I wonder if theres just something with the test server that im connecting to.  I can go to www.speedtest.net on my PS3 and easily get speeds upwards of 16Mb/s.  (and always have been able to before I set everything to manual)

either way my streaming problems SEEM to be fixed for the time being.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 34 (97,151 Views)
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jul 24, 2010

Corbie wrote:

I just started using these settings because I was having netflix/hulu streaming problems.  unfortunately the test still shows less than 6Mb/s.

But I wonder if theres just something with the test server that im connecting to.  I can go to www.speedtest.net on my PS3 and easily get speeds upwards of 16Mb/s.  (and always have been able to before I set everything to manual)

either way my streaming problems SEEM to be fixed for the time being.

Do you actually have these exact IP's set as your Primary and Secondary DNS on your PS3?

Primary DNS - 208.67.222.222

Secondary DNS - 208.67.220.220

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 24, 2010

I think there is a difference in PSN connection speed and your PS3 browser internet speed. The speedtest.net performed from your browser is not done through the PSN, it should just be an open port through your router, same as any PC connected to your home network. The connection speeds you see when setting up the PS3 is the speed you are connected to the PSN.

I may be completely off track with this, but I can run back to back speed tests using the browser and one using the network setup in XMB. In EVERY test there is a huge difference in measured speed between the two. I am currently on a 25Mb FIOS connection and have seen speeds beyond 51MB download and 18MB upload using the PS3 browser @ speedtest.net, within minutes using the network connection test, I may have 3-6MB download and 768K - 3MB upload.

You should also note there is a disclaimer after the network connection speed test that says results may not accurately reflect your true connection speed.

FWIW, I have tried the advertised DNS addresses and not really seen any advantage in connection speed over using the auto connection settings.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 24, 2010
Where did you get those exact IP addresses from?
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 24, 2010

you could just get a decent router

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Jul 24, 2010

i did the same thing. Quite some time ago actually. Same exact numbers. My internet speed jumped from around 7mb/s to 25mb/s sometimes up to 30

My ISP was Road Runner at the time. It might be a cable thing?

------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/swingpoynt -- Last of Us Multiplayer Gameplay 2.7+ K/D Calibur.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
398 posts

Jul 24, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Where did you get those exact IP addresses from?

Its OpenDNS there is a better way - but offhand its to early in the morning and I can't remember the program.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jul 24, 2010

AGNT-ATHOS wrote:

I think there is a difference in PSN connection speed and your PS3 browser internet speed. The speedtest.net performed from your browser is not done through the PSN, it should just be an open port through your router, same as any PC connected to your home network. The connection speeds you see when setting up the PS3 is the speed you are connected to the PSN.

I may be completely off track with this, but I can run back to back speed tests using the browser and one using the network setup in XMB. In EVERY test there is a huge difference in measured speed between the two. I am currently on a 25Mb FIOS connection and have seen speeds beyond 51MB download and 18MB upload using the PS3 browser @ speedtest.net, within minutes using the network connection test, I may have 3-6MB download and 768K - 3MB upload.

You should also note there is a disclaimer after the network connection speed test that says results may not accurately reflect your true connection speed.

FWIW, I have tried the advertised DNS addresses and not really seen any advantage in connection speed over using the auto connection settings.

yeah, your definitely right about that, theres a difference between the speed of PSN and the PS3's browser. But the DNS IP's I included above are suppose to inhance the speed of your overall PS3 connection with the internet. Before I ever set these IP's, my connection was always between 4.0 to 6.0Mbps when tested with the (Connection Test) feature on the XMB, After I set those IP's, my connection went up to 17.5Mbps; still using the (Connection Test) feature on the XMB. I even did a series of tests to confirm the changes. What mostly changes is that when you use the PS3 browser, pages load much faster and downloads are a bit faster and more responsive. The reason why your connection was unaffected by the OpenDNS is probably because your current internet speed may already be optimized under quality DNS settings provided by your ISP, or it can be something else, there can be many reasons why it didn't work. But as stated above, it is not gauranteed that you will see better reults like I did.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 34 (97,151 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
398 posts

Jul 24, 2010

Haseo_Uchiha wrote:

AGNT-ATHOS wrote:

yeah, your definitely right about that, theres a difference between the speed of PSN and the PS3's browser. But the DNS IP's I included above are suppose to inhance the speed of your overall PS3 connection with the internet. Before I ever set these IP's, my connection was always between 4.0 to 6.0Mbps when tested with the (Connection Test) feature on the XMB, After I set those IP's, my connection went up to 17.5Mbps; still using the (Connection Test) feature on the XMB. I even did a series of tests to confirm the changes. What mostly changes is that when you use the PS3 browser, pages load much faster and downloads are a bit faster and more responsive. The reason why your connection was unaffected by the OpenDNS is probably because your current internet speed may already be optimized under quality DNS settings provided by your ISP, or it can be something else, there can be many reasons why it didn't work. But as stated above, it is not gauranteed that you will see better reults like I did.

For those who are interested in doing what the OP suggested and OpenDNS is not the one for you, then here is a site that determines which is the best DNS gateway for you.

It automatically check as soon as you load the site - after the site is loaded it will display the IP address of the best DNS based on your location.

Once again here is the site.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 34 (97,151 Views)