Fender Bender
4131 posts

Re: We Want 1080 Support for PS3 games past and future (ReBorn)

Nov 19, 2012

TheDster wrote:

I think they wanted them made in 1080p, just like the other consoles system has most of theirs made in.  

..but they don't? It's been a long and huge battle with the xbox, because of the requirements for Anti-aliasing Microsoft put on their titles (if people wanted them certified). That they couldn't reduce the AA and up the resolution, even for platformers and games with lots of straight lines, because the only mode should be 720p with AA turned on.

We've even got that on the PC side - games and assets in games are deliberately made to 1280x720, not because of limitations with the hardware, but because the "multiplatform target" is 720p. It's been that way since 2005.

Meanwhile, the ps3 actually does have several natively rendered 1080p games, with extremely much more interesting reduction algorithms than you can run, also on PC hardware (as well as that will be out of bounds for the new "Orbis"). Like Lair or WipeoutHD.

But no - people want an internally UPSCALED mode so they can watch the stretched pixels of a 720p mode on a 1080i screen. Because that's really important.

As always, please allow me to say that I hope Sony Playstation goes bankrupt for focusing on the 1080i upscaler and multiplatform audience. I really do. I hope that when the multiplatform console launches, everyone will have a fit of brilliance and buy a cheaper PC with a gamepad, or a cheaper xbox instead.

Message 6231 of 6,240 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2012

They are stretched no matter what if you have a 1080p tv.  On the other console most games arent stretched with a 1080p tv.  I know for a fact, cause i had them both and seen it with my own eyes.  I know you guys have a hard time believing that cause you have either not had both or you are defending this system to its core.

Ps3 maybe better or just as good?  However, its only better or just as good.  If you play them in native 720p.  That means you must not have a 1080p tv to play them or if you do have a 1080p tv,  have it set to display the native mode.  Which does not fill entire screen, its a rectangle in the center of the screen displaying 720p.  If you dont have a 1080p tv to play them and just set it to display native, you wont take full advantage of bluray movies.  For the simple fact you will be using your 720p tv to game on.  Its kind of a screwy situation.

I also know theres some games that are 1080p such as Final fantasy 13, psp god of war remakes are as well for ps3.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 6232 of 6,240 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Nov 19, 2012
..yes, nothing mysterious about it. Shortlist:
-Dungeon Siege 3 (only multiplatform title with a real 1080 mode)
-Lair
-WipeoutHD
-Pixeljunk games
-Motorstorm RC
-SotC collection (which unlike the other remakes or psp-ports, actually have shaders running in the new resolution, instead of having effects upscaled: huge improvement).
-OkamiHD (almost as brilliant as above, but also had static effects, so some scaling)

But practically all multiplatform games run at upscale, even when in 1280x720. See the same effect on PC in the same games if you try to up the resolution. That the static effects are blurry (cutscenes pre-rendered at xbox res, any flat image in the game is a sprite that doesn't get replaced, etc), while the geometry and shader effects that are written well improve.

Of course -- the actually great 1080p games on the ps3, with seriously future tech involved. Like Lair and WipeoutHD... well, what happened to the studios that made those?

They no longer exist. Because of you guys, and because Sony management, doesn't think having unique futuristic tech no one else has is an asset.

Instead, you want upscaled multiplatform games.

And lo and behold - the next console will be: upscaled multiplatform games. See - Sony listens to their customers. At least if they insist they really wanted an xbox in the first place. Then they listen really hard.
Message 6233 of 6,240 (228 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Nov 26, 2012
I opened issues with 2K games (Borderlands 2), Ubisoft (Assassin's Crees III), and Activision (COD Black OPS II). I asked them if the output was 720P or 1080P. The answers:

Borderlands is at 720P. Assassin's creed is at 1080P. As for COD Black OPS II, here is my response from Activision:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Call of Duty(R): Black Ops II. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while playing the game. As a result of your feedback, we were able to target and troubleshoot several issues which have been addressed. With those solutions in place, we will be closing your case."

I have no idea what that means. They didn't answer my question. Does it output at 1080 or 720? Can anyone confirm COD Black OPS II is 1080? What does it say on the back?

Message 6234 of 6,240 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Nov 27, 2012

pwm123 wrote:
(...)
I have no idea what that means. They didn't answer my question. Does it output at 1080 or 720? Can anyone confirm COD Black OPS II is 1080? What does it say on the back?

Let's try again. The game will practically always target an output resolution of 1280x720. That's the requirement in the xbox guidelines that ensure promotion and quick approval. To achieve that resolution, it's very frequent that developers add internal scaling to the game-engine before it's sent to the console's output as well.

Basically: the game runs at something like 640x580 (COD titles for example run at something near that. A lot of new games also run at very low internal resolutions).  The game's frontbuffer is then stretched (The UI overlay, the HUD and so on, may be added after the stretching is done, because it's a static resource, etc) and sent to the tv-tuner. Which generates a 1280x720 picture, that then is sent to the TV. 

You now have a 720p picture on the tv that's stretched, with the UI in the right aspect and so on.

If you have a 1080i screen, there's a function in both the xbox and the ps3 sdk that allows you to input various modes that then is stretched by hardware to fit the 1080i context. And they will do that by rendering exactly as many pixels as for the 1280x720p context. But the question is - what's the point? And it also means - specially for the games that do internal scaling in the first place - that the UI will be stretched again, and depending on how the TV cuts off the picture, maybe some UI repositioning. 

It's just a waste of time, it doesn't increase the pixel density. And in 99% of the cases, the TV's internal scaler actually does the pixel-doubling more effectively and with less artefacts than either the ps3's or the xbox's internal scaler.

Bottom line: lots of unnecessary work, that in the end results in a worse picture, with more scaling artefacts than just a TV scale. In addition, almost all TVs that have 1080i modes as the highest available resolution will have massive input lag. In other words, a worse looking picture, with more input lag, and very likely a distorted and scaled UI on top of it all.

So let me ask you again - why would you actually want this? 

Set aside the fact that Sony is probably taking notes on how to make 1080i modes "innately" available on their new multiplatform drm'ed PC console -- why would you want a worse looking mode than the 720p context, for your games on your "hd ready" TVs?

Message 6235 of 6,240 (191 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Dec 5, 2012

I think you missed the purpose of this thread. My TV will not display 720P.  Games that output at 720P will display at 480i and look like sh*t.  If my TV displayed 720P I would not be monitoring this thread because it would be irrelevant to me. Most RP CRT sets like mine only display 480p or 1080i.

Message 6236 of 6,240 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
242 posts

Dec 5, 2012
What if you have a 1080p HDTV?
Message 6237 of 6,240 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Did you tell them you was from ps3 or 360?  360 is 1080p cause its got more graphic power.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 6238 of 6,240 (163 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 19, 2013

Do FIFA 12 and 13, and NHL 12 and 13 have 1080i support?  I tried contacting EASports via chat and email, but those idiots couldn't even give me an answer.  I would really like to buy the games, but only if I know for sure they play at 1080i.  Hoping someone here can help me out.

Message 6239 of 6,240 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12565 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 19, 2013

TheDster wrote:

Did you tell them you was from ps3 or 360?  360 is 1080p cause its got more graphic power.

Hahahahahaa.................no.

Locking this thread because it's old. :smileyhappy: -space_cape!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6240 of 6,240 (101 Views)
0 Likes