Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Re: What are the point of trophies?

Mar 26, 2013

I like to get trophies because it helps me get the most out of any games. Some trophies challenge my gaming skills. Others let me feel that I get the most out of a game and play to the game's complete capacity.

Games like this is an example. I paid $60 when this game came out. I obviously wanted to make sure I got my $60 worth from this game. Yet, even though I got %100 and a Platinum for this game, I'm still obsessed with this game. I don't care about trophies when it comes down to fun games like this.

Another reason why trophies were implementedis because of Xbox. They have many games that the PS3 has. Yet, their games have "achievements", their version of trophies. So, to make things equal, the PS3 developed trophies. But the things we got that Xbox don't have is a Platinum trophy and that satisfying DING when you get a trophy.  Smiley Tongue

It doesn't matter if you win or lose. It doesn't matter if you yank every trophy out of a game. It doesn't matter. Just have fun!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 42 (411 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
632 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Everybody's answers are different because there is no one answer. Me, personally, I love to collect Platinum trophies. And to get the Platinum, I have to get every other (non-DLC) trophy. I usually only go for Platinum trophies for games I really like (IE: the Uncharted series). Then there are the more obscure interesting titles like Catherine that I'm about to go back to to try to get because I was in love with that game when I first got it and "Plating" it is a really hard task. Sometimes a game just doesn't feel complete without obtainin all the Trophies, I guess.

Photobucket
Message 22 of 42 (188 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Mar 26, 2013
they give us a sense of accomplishment
Message 23 of 42 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Mar 26, 2013
Yeah I'm pretty much the same here, I never cared for trophies/achievements in today's games because I grew up in the N64/PS1/Dreamcast era where yeah you had things to accomplish in your games but you actually unlocked things from doing them not just a screen popping up telling you that you beat the game at the hardest difficulty, I'm all for replay value but I would only do it for actual unlockables, you can't do anything with a trophy I don't care that I killed 100 enemies I only care that I beat the game so now I have access to an alternate skin or something.

The only times I would care for trophies is if they actually have unlockables to them like the Uncharted games for example as well as Soul Calibur 4 and 5, I think that's what achievements and trophies should be for, unlocking extras.
Message 24 of 42 (184 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Moved from PSASBR. Smiley Wink

space_cape!!

Message 25 of 42 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9593 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Tamers12345 wrote:

Ive had a PS3 ever since the release date and still dont see why everyone is so obsessed with trophies. XD

some times trophies give you more things to do in a game then you would normally do, or seek out things you normally might just bypass for whatever reason.

all in all they just add more play time to a game

Message 26 of 42 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 26, 2013

they could do all those things with real rewards, in-game rewards I mean, like in previous generations

now we have trophies and almost no rewards, you want something extra its DLC

Message 27 of 42 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Tamers12345 wrote:

Ive had a PS3 ever since the release date and still dont see why everyone is so obsessed with trophies. XD

To be honest there is no real point to Trophies. Earning Trophies will not net you money. They will not help you get a job. They will not make a bad game good. They will not earn you discounts on anything. They don't cook. They don't clean. Sadly they won't even change a baby's diaper.

With that said, the value of Trophies vary from individual to individual. Some gamers like to collect them and use as bragging rights. As "proof positive" they did what they claim they did. Such as beating Bioshock: Infinite on 1999 Mode (Ultra Hard Mode). Some people like to browse the Trophies of others to see if they did indeed do something they claimed to do. Some like to browse the Trophies on the Trophy profiles of their friends to compare who has done what or sometimes to say "Hey, I see you got the Plat in Bioshock, how is the game?" Or sometimes even the opposite "Hey, you only earned 1 Trophy in Killzone 3, did the game suck?"

Some gamers feel that Trophies give them a reason to replay a game. Personally if the game sucks the first time around, I'm not replaying it even if it's the last one for a Platinum.

I don't collect Trophies for anyone's benefit. Just mine. I have a few friends who are hard core Hunters and I think they're all nuts. But hey, to each their own.

Message 28 of 42 (150 Views)
Platinum
55402 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 26, 2013

Tamers12345 wrote:

For me, personally, the point of trophies is more to compete with/compare to my friends in specific games.   Say we all get farcry3 at the same time, 2 weeks later I say "hey guys I got the platinum, where are you at".  It turns into a little fun competition for us.  

I'm typically the type of player who plays through a whole game on its hardest level just to get the full experience, the way trophies works syncs up nicely with my type of gamer.   Gives me more goals than just "beat it on its hardest level".

Message 29 of 42 (145 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Mar 26, 2013

Primarily they exist to compete with the xbox achievement system, cross platform games have identical goals required for achieveing a trophy/achievement

And other than that, basically what everyone said, just for fun, replay value etc...

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 30 of 42 (144 Views)
0 Likes